MicroGreen Filter Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RiyarBusto
I have to say that the MICRO GREEN oil filter works really good.

- I had the filter for about 25.000 miles on my 2008 Hyundai Tiburon GS 2.0L 4 cyl., saved around $100 so far. I changed the filter a few weeks ago but I didn't change the oil.
- I took a sample of oil from my car and sent it to a lab to be analyse, I'm waiting for the results.
- What I found out is that the PTFE filter or what SOMS TECHNOLOGIES calls MICRO FILTER filtrates particles down to 2 microns when normal full flow filters filtrates particles down to 14 microns.
- They used PTFE because it is the most stable material for the conditions, such as OIL PRESSURE and OIL TEMPERATURE.
- MICRO GREEN filters are available in different sizes for different cars. From small cars to trucks just go to [dead link] to find the right filter for your car.
- You can also calculate your savings by using the CALCULATOR on the Micro Green website.

Thanks for the pics.

Let me be the first to say
welcome2.gif

However, I have some questions. Your post looks more like an advertisement for the company than personal experience.

You say it "works really good". Based on what? You don't even have a UOA yet.

You did a 25,000 mile OCI with the same oil and filter? What type of oil did you use? Are you getting a TBN on your oil when you get it analyzed? How much make-up oil?

I'm not saying it can't be done, but it sounds a little nuts for a person to just go to 25,000 mile OCIs based on a filter manufacturer's claims without building up to that level after analyzing UOAs. I went less than 12,000 miles with Mobil 1 on my MicroGreen UOA and only had a TBN of 2.4 left when I changed the oil. I never would have risked going to 25,000 miles.

Last edited:
Considering someone recently did a 25k mile OCI on a Fram Extra Guard filter, and it held together, it doesn't take much to have a filter survive 25k.

Just noticed micro green oil filters have silicon ADBV valves now. They were running the cold-stiff butyl rubber. For a filter that costs that much, its nice to see they finall realize people at least want silicon.

A good test would be to run say 6K with a Mobil 1 filter, get a UOA with particle count and then swap in a microGreen filter, run another 1K or 2K miles and do another UOA with particle count.

Originally Posted By: Donald
A good test would be to run say 6K with a Mobil 1 filter, get a UOA with particle count and then swap in a microGreen filter, run another 1K or 2K miles and do another UOA with particle count.

They did something like that on their website. http://www.microgreenfilter.com/testing-and-validation and see the charts lower on the page, with comments. Granted, those oil filters they used they said were "conventional", and your Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter mentioned would be a better premium oil filter, maybe not too different though.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Their chart shows avg. new oil at 2500. What is that figure from? A car with new oil added and driven a bit? New oil out of the container?

New oil out of the container, yes. Seems weird, I guess they are saying their is enough ash in there to count in the 5 micron neighborhood, about 2500 particles per milliliter.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Considering someone recently did a 25k mile OCI on a Fram Extra Guard filter, and it held together, it doesn't take much to have a filter survive 25k.
How did they know it wasn't clogged? Held together, sure, yet need to know if it clogged.

Great thread.

Im looking at a microgreen for my cat 3126.

Does anyone know if the larger filters have more bypass media, or do they always include the same tiny amount (little disk) of bypass media?

On a small gas engine I can see that being "ok" but on a large soot/contamination producing diesel I just don't see that working out.

I'm trying to extend the life of the sensitive heui pump.

Thanks!

Uncle Dave

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Great thread.

Im looking at a microgreen for my cat 3126.

Does anyone know if the larger filters have more bypass media, or do they always include the same tiny amount (little disk) of bypass media?

Technically, the MicroGreen oil filter is not a bypass filter. Its a parallel-flow oil filter, one path filters about normally, and a smaller path, the little disk, flows a smaller percentage of the total flow. (A bypass oil filter takes about 10% of the flow away and dumps it directly back into the oil pan, hence the term "bypass".)

As for your questions, I'd call or email microgreenfilter.com

Good to learn it "technically" isn't a bypass filter.

I bought them for my Titan, 3011c, and cat 3126.

Going to try them out regardless.

They come in pairs and I haven't figured out if Im going to cut one of each open and look.... or just see what Blackstone has to say with a before and after.

Thanks.

Uncle Dave

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Good to learn it "technically" isn't a bypass filter.

I bought them for my Titan, 3011c, and cat 3126.

Going to try them out regardless.

They are better than a bypass filter in my opinion, since they don't just dump (bypass) about 10% straight back into the oil pan directly. Its full-flow, everything from the oil pump goes into the engine with the microgreen oil filters.

Im skeptical of its ability to handle the soot of a diesel unless the secondary filtration media is vastly increased on the big filter, but it seems it could be no worse the the baldwin/cat filters I use now.

I put long run times on my diesel gensets.

My RV acts like a home base at the sand dunes and I pretty much keep the rig and a toy hauler hot 24x7 for a week.

A little peace of mind on longer intervals would be comforting, but Ill see what the numbers say. Im skeptical.

UD

PstxwwD.jpg

Last edited:
So far Im not overly impressed.

Only the large one was wrapped, and not prelubed.

My genuine densos have all been wrapped and prelubed that level of packaging is what I expected for this level of money.

Overall I agree construction seems good.

Got to go get my filter cutter from storage - eager to see what the big one looks like.

Uncle Dave

pf1oVXT.jpg

I'd be surprised if the larger filters look any different inside than the smaller ones except for the size of the full-flow filter media. The manufacturer describes thier filters just as the photos I posted.

I agree that this filter is unlikely going to do a good job at filtering out soot. The oil gets dark using this filter just like any filter. My guess is that the disc filters down to a few microns which is great for removing wear particles but not for removing soot. If it pulled soot out, that disc would probably clog up pretty fast.

Besides - If it were great at removing soot in Diesel engines, I'm sure MicroGreen would be bragging about it on their website.

If anyone else does a UOA with a MicroGreen filter, please let us know.

Does anyone have test date for MicroGreen? They are $10.99 with free shipping on amazon for my application. But there are only five holes.

MicroGreen

I'm an FU customer. I'm not advocating for this filter, but inquisitive.

Originally Posted By: Pajero
Does anyone have test date for MicroGreen?

I assume you mean test "data". No, there is no ISO test data for microGreen filters. There have been long and detailed threads on these filters and filtration data, search for them. If you found this old thread from eight years ago I think you can find those threads too.

I don't understand why not to use a TP type filter. They are proven and filters are inexpensive once you have it installed. I have found two frantz on the auction site. Both are still boxed away as I am waiting to finish all my upgrades before I choose where to mount them.

Originally Posted By: Corelokt
I don't understand why not to use a TP type filter. They are proven and filters are inexpensive once you have it installed. I have found two frantz on the auction site. Both are still boxed away as I am waiting to finish all my upgrades before I choose where to mount them.

Would prefer a non plumbed solution if possible. A properly designed dual stage would be far easier to manage at OCI time that 2 separate media.

Ive switched to a Baldwin Stratapour venturi for the big Cat.

There are also no ISO numbers on it I can find

in the case of both of these designs one has to be comfortable with the ancillary non standardized data one can find on it.

I can find plenty of evidence (not proof) that both designs work as suggested, with the cummins filter bringing a superior (and physically larger for sure) two stage with tremendous holding capacity the MG's tiny disk lacks.

My goal on the big cat is really to extend the life of the HEUI pump which work under huge pressure vs extend the sump radically as the pump absolutely shears oil like mad.

UD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back