Who Does Oil Analysis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I previously had Blackstone do Oil Analysis. Are they still relaible? Anybody else?

I bought a new Ford Fiesta. Dealer recommends 10,000 mile first oil change. I am thinking that's a little long. As I recall reading in this forum that 7,000 miles was when to change. I guess maybe Ford would like the car to wear out sooner so they can sell more new ones. I am planning on having the oil analyzed at 5000 miles.

Blackstone is very reputable. I, along with friends use them from time to time and never a bad or questionable answer.

No, Ford does not want your engine to wear out faster. They want to brag about low maintenance costs.

It is pretty well documented here that if you take a new car and don't change or add oil the engine will run out of oil and seize up around 40,000 miles. If you top off the oil but don't change it the engine will last 70,000 miles.

Therefore all the oil and filter changes that you do extend the engine life from 70,000 miles to ___ pick a number for the probable life of the car.

Oh and the UOA will merely tell you whether the head gasket is leaking the air filter is amiss, or fuel is leaking into the oil. I rarely have I seen an analysis here where they said, "don't leave it is so long next time."

Burt said:
It is pretty well documented here that if you take a new car and don't change or add oil the engine will run out of oil and seize up around 40,000 miles. If you top off the oil but don't change it the engine will last 70,000 miles. Therefore all the oil and filter changes that you do extend the engine life from 70,000 miles to ___ pick a number for the probable life of the car. /quote]

Really, documented where?

No one has ever shown that changing your oil at 3000 miles versus the factory recommendation extends the life of the engine? never been done in a scientific test, all anecdotal

Hello, Clean is better than dirty. Oil is cheap compared to engine wear. Auto makers lie to look good. Lower maintenance cost projections look better than higher ones.

I think it's all been documented. Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, Clean is better than dirty. Oil is cheap compared to engine wear. Auto makers lie to look good. Lower maintenance cost projections look better than higher ones.

I think it's all been documented. Kira

Still sounds anecdotal to me!

I am guessing a manufacturor would prefer your car to wear out at 200,000 miles instead of at 300,000. Joe Blow will not be too mad if the car is shot at 200,000. Manufacturor gets to sell new car 2/3 sooner. I am happy to change oil sooner if I can get another 100,000 miles out of it.

I knew a guy that bought a Chevy and never changed oil. Just kept adding oil as it went down. He complained that the drive shaft went south at 150,000 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: borgward
Re: Who Does Oil Analysis?

Blackstone, Polaris, Wearcheck... take your pick.

Which ones provide the condition/status and tbn for a sample in their basic analysis?

I used to do an UOA at every change on every vehicle for several years in the mid 90s. I finally quit when I realized they were pretty much useless for predicting my engine wear and problems. Other than coolant in oil (which you should be able to determine without a UOA) they really did not help much so I decided to just change the oil at 7500 or so and forget about wasting my money on these. Some had such huge wear numbers the engine was doomed but in reality they just kept on chugging along. So, IMO keep your money and forget UOA!

I always wonder how much technical knowledge people have making comments here.
Most have NEVER even removed an oil filter by the looks of it.
Too many comments are just garbage!

What make me really mad is people with over a 1000 posts like making stupid comments.

Originally Posted By: MobilinHyundia
What make me really mad is people with over a 1000 posts like making stupid comments.

Typically, the advice given is worth what you pay for it, and last time I checked, BITOG membership was free.

If you want true UOA interpretation by someone who does this for a living, you're going to have to pay for it.

Quote:
Too many comments are just garbage!

If you don't like it, you can always start your own internet oil forum.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jorton
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: borgward
Re: Who Does Oil Analysis?

Blackstone, Polaris, Wearcheck... take your pick.

Which ones provide the condition/status and tbn for a sample in their basic analysis?

Can only speak for ALS.. they give TBN and advice on whether oil needs changing or not or if any of the values are abnormal. I've used them extensively for motorcycle oil testing but not for cars. I believe Blackstone charges extra for TBN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back