65 CUDA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Co-workers 65 baracuda has a problem when filling the gas tank full and when driven for a few minutes the needle drops to empty.Swaped out the gas gauge and no go then they changed the float in the tank and looked at the ground wire and still have a problem.The guys are going cookoo and running out of trouble shooting ideas.Any thoughts or clues what it could be???

Use standard practices like running jumper wires for power and ground and checking voltage while running and grounds breaking contact when warm on Ohms.
Its loosing power or ground after operating for a few minutes, signs of a bad connection unless you got a new bum part which is more than possible these days.

Does that car still use the little clip-on ground strap that clips onto the fuel line at the tank? I had nothing but trouble with those on my old Darts. I used to just solder a wire to the fuel line instead.

Does the temp gauge also drop at the same time? If so, it could be the 5 volt regulator in the instrument cluster that drives both gauges. And I use the term "regulator" loosely- the originals were thermal switches that turned the gauges on and off a couple of times a second so that over a very long-term average it came out to about 12 volts. All my old Mopars get an actual solid-state 5volt regulator instead.

But my second guess would be the fuel tank ground strap as SS1970Chrysler mentioned. If its missing, the sending unit isn't getting a reliable ground path.

Thanks guys for the feed back.I will let my coworker know what may be the issues.This is a heart breaker of a classic i ever seen in a long time.

I was working on the Gate Line (body-in-white) at Chrysler Canada in 1965. I welded the patch plates that the sun-visor screwed onto one job before the roof went on.
My buddy had a 273 4-speed '65 Cuda and I had a 327 4-speed '65 Pontiac Parisienne. I could whoop him every time ..
cool.gif

Those were the good old days !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back