0W30 in Chrysler 4.0 that calls for 10W30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2009 Chrysler Town and Country 4.0L V6, which from understanding, is basically a bored/stroked 3.5L from the Intrepid. It is a timing belt (not chain) engine. Chrysler manual calls for 10W30 meeting MS-6395 spec. The car is no longer under factory warranty.

The manual states the following: "SAE 10W-30 engine oil is preferred for all operating temperatures."

Car gets used around town only, no highway, about 40-75 miles a week, maybe 10 miles a day when it is actually driven. It may go 3-4 days without getting driven. I'm only getting 15-16mpg with my current driving style.

Do you think 0W30 Mobil AFE year round would be a good choice for this vehicle?

F19816663.jpg

I have tried it in mine without noticing any difference in gas milage. I normally prefer to use a synthetic 5W-30. But that Mobil 1 AFE is definately good stuff and will do fine for your 4.0

Originally Posted By: StevieBoy
I have tried it in mine without noticing any difference in gas milage.

What about the noise? Any strange engine noises?

0W-30 AFE is a very good oil. Don't see why it wouldn't suit your needs just fine. Although in SO FLA, there really isn't much of a need for a Ow motor oil. Any XXw-30 should do just fine in your application.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
But it sure don't work good in Pontiacs! UOA

All that from a UOA, huh? I'd seriously wonder, too, if some dunderhead didn't put leaded fuel or a lead supplement in the thing. If there's one type of vehicle out there than can bring out the worst in backyard mechanics, it's American muscle. I'm surprised he didn't find it with leaded racing fuel and a sump of 20w-50 with LOS in it.
wink.gif

In any event, M1 0w-30 or 5w-30 would be perfectly fine in this application. If one wants to use 10w-30, go ahead, but stick with conventional. A 10w-30 synthetic is a lot like a Town Car with a spoiler.

Originally Posted By: Garak
A 10w-30 synthetic is a lot like a Town Car with a spoiler.

What if the owners manual specifies 10W-30 above zero degrees Fahrenheit and to use 5W-30 only at times where ambient temperatures are going to be below 60 degrees Fahrenheit ?

I would stay with the spec'd weight myself. 30 weight is 30 weight but going to 0W from the spec'd 10W, especially with the OP living in Southern Florida where it gets so hot, to me is not something I would do. 5W30 maybe. I would actually stick with the 10W30 myself if I lived there. 0W30 might lead to some oil consumption.

What if the owners manual specifies 10W-30 above zero degrees Fahrenheit and to use 5W-30 only at times where ambient temperatures are going to be below 60 degrees Fahrenheit ?

I would treat that situation as I would treat any situation where obsolete oils are specified, like my Audi calling for an SAE 10w or a 20w-20 in the winter or an SAE 40 in summer - ignore it. If using a conventional, go right ahead, but if one is buying a synthetic, there is no reason to take advantage of the greater grade choice.

If an engine allows for an ILSAC rated 10w-30, I can't see there being any problems with an ILSAC rated 5w-30 or 0w-30. You do realize, Merk, that there are some 0w-30 and 5w-30 grades available (GC and HDEOs) that are substantially thicker at operating temperatures than an ILSAC rated 10w-30, right? And you certainly know of 10w-30 HDEOs.

If I wanted a thicker 30 grade, I'd choose one of them, rather than an ILSAC 10w-30 that is imperceptibly thinner (if at all) at operating temperatures.

Originally Posted By: Garak

I would treat that situation as I would treat any situation where obsolete oils are specified, like my Audi calling for an SAE 10w or a 20w-20 in the winter or an SAE 40 in summer - ignore it. If using a conventional, go right ahead, but if one is buying a synthetic, there is no reason to take advantage of the greater grade choice.

If an engine allows for an ILSAC rated 10w-30, I can't see there being any problems with an ILSAC rated 5w-30 or 0w-30. You do realize, Merk, that there are some 0w-30 and 5w-30 grades available (GC and HDEOs) that are substantially thicker at operating temperatures than an ILSAC rated 10w-30, right? And you certainly know of 10w-30 HDEOs.

If I wanted a thicker 30 grade, I'd choose one of them, rather than an ILSAC 10w-30 that is imperceptibly thinner (if at all) at operating temperatures.

Well said! it appears that some people on this board just don't understand much about oil grades.

Well, there is also HTHSV to consider.
Garak touched upon this in his references to GC as well as XXW-30 HDEOs.
The only explanation I've ever seen for Chysler having recommended 10W-30 for this engine is that they were concerned that a minimum HTHSV be met.
In the OP's case, the HTHSV of M1 0W-30 AFE is in the same range as that for most thirty grade API spec PCMOs, so there should be no problem in using it.
Given the OP's use of the vehicle, even a reduction in both SAE grade and HTHSV would probably be of no concern if the OP were inclined to experiment with grades thinner than recommended.
Whether the OP sees the improved fuel economy he appears to be aiming for is another matter.

Originally Posted By: 29662
0W-30 AFE is a very good oil.

But it sure don't work good in Pontiacs! UOA

You're cherry picking 1 UOA from a used car with an unknown history and where the owner hasn't used other lubes in direct comparison. Doing so is not contributing anything of value to this discussion.

In all the posts I've seen from you relating to oil, you've been against anything less than 10w-30 and would probably be happier to run a 10w-50 or 10w-60 in your grocery getter.

Quote:

In all the posts I've seen from you relating to oil, you've been against anything less than 10w-30 and would probably be happier to run a 10w-50 or 10w-60 in your grocery getter.

Most of his recommendations belie mfg expertise and years of documented evidence suggesting otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back