Lubeguard Conversions for ATF Credbible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Run screaming into the night. It's like the idea you can take a straight 10w oil and put enough STP in it to run in your harley.

Typically some transmissions shops will have bulk ATF and use it to "convert" ATF to work in other applications. As eljefino stated run screaming into the night. LG makes some great products, however I would not want Dex/Merc going into my Jeep with a bottle of that in it in a feeble attempt to make ATF+4.

Lubeguard makes good stuff but i wouldn't use any sort of conversion additive no matter who makes it.
I never tried it and cant say if it really works or not but i wont risk a 3K+ tranny to find out either.

I do like the idea of "running screaming into the night".

I just think that if converting a "basic transmission fluid" could be done with a potion, albeit from a respected company, we'd've heard of it all our lives.

I say this after having stellar results from using their red bottle in my Volvo's Asin-Warner 55-50.
I LOVE LubeGuard. Kira

I've tried it with LG black and mobile 1 ATf in an accord I had that spec'ed Z1. It worked, but you had to get spot-on with the amount to add.... too little and it was harsh, too little and it flared during shifts. As it was, the M1 was thicker than Z1 and I lost a full 1 mpg, but it was also noticeably quieter in the vehicle. Best to add 3/4 of the suggested LB, then test drive and add in tiny increments to where you want it.

additives really aren't the best way to go about doing it though-- this was really more of an experiment.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

I know the red lubeguard is good stuff and well respected, but what do you think about the claims you can take a Dex/Merc fluid, dump some of the silver or black bottle Lubeguard in with it, and presto chango you get a transmission fluid that fits?

A conversion fluid regime was questionable back then, and now with the better ATF's, it is definately no longer needed.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I think he means taking dex/mercon and using a fluid to convert it to say ATF+4 for example.

That is what I too thought he was implying.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: Trav
I think he means taking dex/mercon and using a fluid to convert it to say ATF+4 for example.

That is what I too thought he was implying.
smile.gif

What I am saying is it is not a good practice.

It might not be a good practice, but it does seem to work.
I've used Dexron 3 with Lubegard Green (for Mercon V) and everything seems to be fine. Shifting is perfect, fluid isn't changing color, nothing out of the ordinary with it. I will definetely do this again.
As for the import bottle, Lubegard Black, converting to ATF +3, SP3, Honda, etc.. that implies all those "different" oils are essentially the same.
I have use this on a 99 Cirrus which is spec'd for ATF +3. The transmission is fine, shifts great, no problem.
I won't put it in a Honda, I believe they're just to finnicky for anything but their own fluid.

the Lubegard Platnum Universal, I believe should be labeled differently.
After talking with Lubegard about it, LG Plat is LG Red with 1 new additive they developed. The guy couldn't answer me as to why the label says what it says.
But, I'm using it in my '12 Fusion which uses Mercon LV.
Tranny shifts like it should. I'm hoping it'll be good for preventative maintenance.

I wouldn't knock the conversion additives all to much. you know they'd be sued off the planet if they didn't do what their claim in. Plus as a benefit you get some of the LG Red additve in the mix as well!

Originally Posted By: EricF
It might not be a good practice, but it does seem to work.
I've used Dexron 3 with Lubegard Green (for Mercon V) and everything seems to be fine. Shifting is perfect, fluid isn't changing color, nothing out of the ordinary with it. I will definetely do this again.
As for the import bottle, Lubegard Black, converting to ATF +3, SP3, Honda, etc.. that implies all those "different" oils are essentially the same.
I have use this on a 99 Cirrus which is spec'd for ATF +3. The transmission is fine, shifts great, no problem.
I won't put it in a Honda, I believe they're just to finnicky for anything but their own fluid.

So you have complete faith in the other conversions but won't convert a DexronIII to a supposed Honda fluid? Why not?

Quote:
the Lubegard Platnum Universal, I believe should be labeled differently.

So what should it be named or identified as?

Quote:
After talking with Lubegard about it, LG Plat is LG Red with 1 new additive they developed. The guy couldn't answer me as to why the label says what it says.
But, I'm using it in my '12 Fusion which uses Mercon LV.
Tranny shifts like it should. I'm hoping it'll be good for preventative maintenance.

The new ingredient is an oxidatively stable polymer ester that they did not invent.

Quote:
I wouldn't knock the conversion additives all to much. you know they'd be sued off the planet if they didn't do what their claim in. Plus as a benefit you get some of the LG Red additve in the mix as well!

I do knock them because they are not needed.

If you can't prove the conversion additives really do work or you can't prove they do not work, it is a win-win for ILI.
smile.gif

I think if you suspect varnishing of the valves then Lubegard Red may be of some limited value.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back