LAT oil additive no longer available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys:

I've been using the LAT oil additive and like it a lot (seems to improve GM a little plus antiware features), but now it seems to be unavailable.

Do any of you know why it is no longer available? There doesn't seem to be any easy way to contact the LAT web site.

JR

Originally Posted By: jrcowboys
I've been using the LAT oil additive and like it a lot (seems to improve GM a little plus antiware features), but now it seems to be unavailable.

Do any of you know why it is no longer available? There doesn't seem to be any easy way to contact the LAT web site.

JR:

It's shown on their website, but it's not in their store. Odd? Could be a computer/website glitch. Call them on Monday at 888-528-6457.

You can also buy it off of Amazon.

Ranchotransaxles are said to carry this product but I couldn't find it on their impossible-to-navigate website. They might be worth a call as well.

This additive is mentioned in several BITOG threads, most notably here. The LAT folks say this additive contains zinc and moly (unspecified variety of moly per the LAT website).

In the BITOG thread, one writer states it was organic moly but it's unclear how he knows this - not from VOA testing. Later in the thread, there is a suggestion that Liqui Moly Anti Friction settles out of suspension, a problem which Liqui Moly (and others) solved back in the 1950's or 1960's. The LAT folks may really be using MoS2. This should not a surprise - the RanchoTransaxles folks are died-in-the-wool air cooled Volkswagen people. There are several MoS2 substitutes available, e.g. Liqui Moly Anti Friction.

I looked for MSDS sheets for LAT products but could not find them. But if you write them or call them on the phone, they should have these sheets available.

One final thought: the zinc in the LAT additive might not agree with your catalytic converter. The RanchoTransaxle folks are pretty much off-road crazies working with pre-cat engines, so that zinc/cat-incompatibility is not an issue. For more civilized uses, it could be an issue.

Yes, it does have fairly high levels of ZDDP in it, but still less than either Torco's MPZ additive, or Red Line's Engine Oil Break In Additive.

I still have one bottle left, and would only use it in the summer since it is almost as thick/viscous as the old, gone, VSOT.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I still have one bottle left, and would only use it in the summer since it is almost as thick/viscous as the old, gone, VSOT.

From the label on your bottle, can you tell the ingredients? There was not much detail on the LAT site.

Above, I suggested that LAT's oil and additives might be primarily for off-road use. Really an understatement. Looking at their website, they are clearly into racing, off-road and fuel vehicles - almost nothing specified for street use.

Originally Posted By: dave5358
Above, I suggested that LAT's oil and additives might be primarily for off-road use. Really an understatement. Looking at their website, they are clearly into racing, off-road and fuel vehicles - almost nothing specified for street use.

The only product from them I have used, besides this additive, is their very strong add pack/EP content synthetic gear oil, primarily because it was the absolute HIGHEST cSt @ 100* C 75W-140 gear oil I could find.
I believe it STILL is as far as 75W-140s go.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
dailydriver, switch to archoil 9100. you will like this better.when they didn't make it any more I switched to archoil.

Is this stuff ONLY nano sized boron/borate based, or is there any ZDDP, and/or organic soluble moly (trimer OR dimer) in it??
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back