Raybestos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've called 3 Carquest stores and none of them want to give up info. I know Napa's rotors are made by Raybestos -- at least that's what the guy at my neighborhood store told me. Does anyone know if Carquest's are the same as the Napa premiums? I would prefer something made in the U.S. or Canada, but cant get anything other than Chinese garbage local except these two stores.

If you have some other ideas, please help me out. I can't wait for shipping so it has to be brick and mortar.

* Is Raybestos your rotor of choice? I like'em but, I use other brands as well!
smile.gif

* Is there a price difference between the CarQuest and NAPA rotors compared to the Raybestos rotors?

* Have you checked Rock Auto Parts for good prices on Raybestos Rotors?

Last edited:
NAPAs rotors and better pads are made by Brake Parts Inc (Raybestos parent company),NAPA Chinese Tru Stop pads are sourced by NAPA from the cheapest source possible.As for Car Quest I don't know.Supposibly CQ is to be sold shortly to Advance Auto.

@Char - Anything made in North America would be over China -- that's would be my choice lol. Every Raybestos rotor I have used has been made in Canada (not sure if they still are). There isn't much of a price difference, but one is closer than the other lol. Rock Auto is cheaper, yes, but I need something brick and mortar as mentioned.

@NHGUY.... Thank you!

Are Wagner TQ made in USA? Only mention because you could get AAP to price match RA and then stack with the $15 rebate per set if interested.

I just bought a few sets of CarQuest "Global Solution" premium semi-met pads from rockauto for $8 a set. They say made by Raybestos in very large letters on each box. I also scored some ACDelco rotors for $7 each as well! Too bad you can't mail order from rockauto, they must've bought out a CarQuest warehouse...

Cq rotors are not Raybestos. They are sourced from all over depending on application.

GPI(owners of CQ) was bought by AAP about 5-6 months ago.

Global Solution was a product provided by Worldpac(also owned by GPI). But typically made overseas with some domestic production.

Hope this clears up some confusion.

Originally Posted By: lugNutz
@Char - Anything made in North America would be over China -- that's would be my choice lol. Every Raybestos rotor I have used has been made in Canada (not sure if they still are). There isn't much of a price difference, but one is closer than the other lol. Rock Auto is cheaper, yes, but I need something brick and mortar as mentioned.

@NHGUY.... Thank you!

Gotch'a!
smile.gif

By the time you post on here and read responses a few days....you could have your rotors from Rockauto. Really - they have msny choices, are cheaper even with shipping and it usually takes only 3-4 days and you got your parts. But - with dealing with a store, I have gotten good results with Autozone rotors which are also priced pretty good.

90% of your rotors will be made in China because that's where the foundries are now.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
90% of your rotors will be made in China because that's where the foundries are now.

This.

Originally Posted By: lugNutz
@Char - Anything made in North America would be over China -- that's would be my choice lol. Every Raybestos rotor I have used has been made in Canada (not sure if they still are).

See above. I suspect your Canadian rotors were old stock. I haven't heard of a modern Raybestos rotor made in a first world in quite some time. I virtually guarantee any new production Raybestos Rotor will be made in China.

There are pretty much no companies operating large scale foundries for aftermarket rotors in the US anymore. There is at least a couple that do OEM work, but the major aftermarket brand names are pretty much all Chinese now.

If you want to dig deeper into the issue, do some googling. You can read reports compiled by the government about the issue and other postings about how there are really no aftermarket rotors made in the US anymore.

A few years ago, I had to install new Raybestos brakes on the back of a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The rotors were made in China, but they were actually better than the OEM Canadian-built rotors.

So I recommend Raybestos rotors.

Carquest? I think I got them frome there, but I don't remember exactly. I did get Raybestos steering parts from there.

It's truly a shame that finding parts made in America is rapidly becoming harder, but i'm just beating a dead horse here.

I appreciate GM's concern over my time, but logically it makes more sense for me to post here, hoping someone to chime in before Sunday, which would be the day I go buy and install something anyway. I have ordered from Rock Auto numerous times, but being the holiday weekend it is, they couldn't get my parts to me before Tuesday unless I pay an absurd shipping fee. Since most everything is Chinese, I would probably just go the route of the Napa premium line as they seem to hold up well for a DD.

Thanks for all the input from everyone!

I bought some "new old stock" pads that were Made in Canada, superb quality.
Like another post said, the new stuff is all China.

The name "Raybestos" is NOT what it used to be. That isn't to say it's necessarily a bad product, just not heads and shoulders above the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back