2005 Nissan Xterra Engine "Whine"

Status
Not open for further replies.
This issue was raised in an earlier thread a month or so ago. I can't remember the names of some of the posters who were familiar with it and commented on it. Our Xterra has a slight whine now. Not to the point of annoying, just noticeable. I believe those experiencing this said it was due to the plastic timing chain guide getting worn out and slack from a weakened tensioner. I asked a service writer at the Nissan dealership yesterday if he was familiar with this and he said he was. Basically said the same thing; plastic chain guide and tensioner. Said it would cost $1500 to fix.

I've never been further than valve covers into an engine so I don't feel confident enough to take this on by myself. I would love to assist someone who knew how and pay them a nice tax free stipend but that probably won't happen. Short of biting the bullet and letting the dealership do it when the time comes, for all you mechanics out there, I have this question. Should I be comfortable having any ASE certified mechanic take this job on? Is this really not that big a deal for a conscientious mechanic? I ask this because in my fifty years of driving, knock on wood, I've never had the need to have any of my engines torn apart for a repair like this. Over the years I've read horror stories about incompetent mechanics making matters worse after repairs like this. I'm not trying to cast stones at anyone in the auto repair field. Just need to know if there is anything specific I should look for in a mechanic to do this job when the time comes. Comments from those in the car repair field would be most helpful. What would this job entail and what should be an approximate cost for this repair. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is exactly what it is. I had mine done on my 2007 Frontier at about 32,000 miles under warranty. The guides were nyon, I believe, and the chaina had worn almost through one and about halfway through another. Left go, the chain would eat into the metal support.
Hope you can find an indy that will tackle it. Around here, only the dealer wants to do it.

If you can follow instructions, have garage space, and decent enough set of tools almost anything can be accomplished. You might have to buy a cam lock tool to keep everything in time. It will take you a long time, if you have the time go for it. If you have a mechanically inclined friend to help out and double check things all the better. Often factory service manuals can be found and downloaded at make/model specific forums. For issues like this there are probably walk through threads or YouTube videos to help.

You can accomplish quite a bit with a basic set of wrenches, sockets and a good torque wrench...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back