Using Range V8, now burning more oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Silverado and have been running the Range V8 AFM disable device. I checked my oil and I was about 3/4 of a quart low. I shouldn't be burning oil with the AFM off.

I'm running an ac delco filter and pennzoil ultra. Could the rings be gummed up and causing oil to pass through? Should I put some seafoam in the crankcase to try and free them up or switch oil brands? Go back to castrol or go with Mobil 1?

In was using valvoline synpower in my 2008 yukon with afm and it was burning a quart every 3-4k miles. Even with the afm active, I switched to PU 10w30 and haven't lost a drop of oil in 2500 miles.

First thing I would do is switch brands.

1qt per 2k miles is pretty typical on 07-11 5.3's. Only way we have been able to alleviate the issue is to install new pistons and rings. But there is quite and expense since you are out of warranty.

I had a similar experience with PU when I used it for the first time. My car never used a drop of oil before and burned through almost a quart in under 1,000 miles. I topped it off and left it alone. It didn't burn any after that for the remainder of that OCI which was 10k. I think that several people here have had similar experiences with the PU. So you may want to let it go for now and either change brands for your next change or see if letting it do it's cleaning will stop the consumption. this may just be a bad combination for checking to see if it doesn't use anymore oil having the cylinder deactivation off. Might be best to try a different oil to see if the consumption stops since that oil is known for consumption issues when it is first used. It does seem to be a very good oil though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back