Water in oil, change it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Short story: Like the title says there is water inside my crankcase, should I change the oil?

Long story: I recently changed the timing belt in my Renault Clio, but to do that, the camshaft plugs need to be removed to place a timing tool.

The thing is that when I was changing the belt, I removed said plugs, installed the timing tool, and I got stuck trying to undo a bolt to take the timing cover. So I went to Walmart to buy a ratchet type spanner, and while I was there a massive rainstorm came out of nowhere, and when I returned home the engine compartment was completely soaked, I couldn't close the bonnet because the engine hoist was in the way, so I just put a sheet of clear PVC to cover the engine and waited till the next day for the rain to stop.

The next day I changed the belt and reassembled everything, but obviously, the water went into the engine via the holes of the camshafts.

I started the engine and let it run for about four minutes, then I opened the oil cap and got the dreaded milky/mayonnaise oil. I cleaned and put the oil cap back, and then I let the engine run at idle like 20 minutes until the fan begun to cycle on and off, then I checked the oil cap and it was normal. There wasn't any condensation or water vapor that I could see around the tailpipe. I used the car normally for this week and every time I checked the oil cap it was normal

The question is: do I need to change the oil? I understand that water in the oil could destroy an engine but what about a one time event like this one?

Hows the oil on the dipstick look? If it is clean and clear, it was just enough water to cause condensation. I would just take it out for a 30 minute drive to burn off any moisture.

If there's no mayonaise now, I'd say that you just had some condensation in the oil that's evaporated.
OTOH, to change the oil after having had the engine open to possible dust and debris infiltration wouldn't be a bad idea.
Oil isn't really expensive in Mexico, either.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
If there's no mayonaise now, I'd say that you just had some condensation in the oil that's evaporated.
OTOH, to change the oil after having had the engine open to possible dust and debris infiltration wouldn't be a bad idea.
Agreed.

Originally Posted By: asand1
Hows the oil on the dipstick look? If it is clean and clear, it was just enough water to cause condensation. I would just take it out for a 30 minute drive to burn off any moisture.

That's it.

If the oil doesn't look like mayo now then its fine and the moisture has burned off,so the oil is fine.
Unless you are nearing the end of the interval,then I might do it but if the oil is fresh I wouldn't bother.

Change oil and filter asap with a bottle of 5 minute engine flush. Idling won't hurt, just don't drive much w/ water in the oil. Let the engine drain for at least 30 minutes.

I would also change the oil and filter.

You have just spent time and money on essential maintenance.

Would be a shame to waste the work by not changing the oil.

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
.... soaked, I couldn't close the bonnet because the engine hoist was in the way, ....
.... Really, "bonnet"? We Americans think you're talking about this when you use that word:
96.jpg

BTW, yes, change it ASAP

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: asand1

+1.....the above would be a good start.... BEFORE.... changing the oil.

Thanks to all for your comments, today I went ahead and changed the oil, better safe than sorry, right? The oil had 7000 kms of the regular 10,000 kms OCI.

I went to autozone and bought 5 liters of Valvoline Synpower and they gave me a generic filter and a motor honey treatment for free and that thing really looks even more viscous than honey, but what surprised me was that the "retail" value of the motor honey was like $15 USD. I will never use it though, so, what other use can I give to the motor honey?other than looking at the little bubble struggling to get to the top.

Anyway I changed the oil in about 2 hours including the trip to autozone which was about 45 minutes. I checked the air filter and it appears to be OK, so I close the "bonnet" (or hood, or whatever you want to call it) and went for a cold beverage.

Yup... change and be done with it

Regards to the Motor Honey, maybe okay to lube chain on chain saw?
I used the thick STP treatment once for the chainsaw to complete a cutting job when out of bar oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back