2014 Dodge Ram 2500 New

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time to own a diesel, anything different I should be concerned with as far as oil?

6.7L Cummins and 300 miles on it, the manual says oil change intervals of 15K which seems long for regular oil. Also, states 5w40 or 15w40 which I planned to run 5w40 synthetic Rotella if that's a good choice. I'd like to run a quality synthetic.

Quote:
In ambient temperatures above 0°F (-18°C), we recommend you use 15W-40 engine oil such
as MOPAR®, Shell Rotella® and Shell Rimula® that meets Chrysler Materials Standard
MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 engine oil category is required. Products meeting Cummins®
CES 20081 may also be used. The identification of these engine oils is typically located on
the back of the oil container.
In ambient temperatures below 0°F (-18°C), we recommend you use 5W-40 synthetic
engine oil such as MOPAR®, Shell Rotella® and Shell Rimula® that meets Chrysler
Materials Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 engine oil category is required.

You will receive many suggestions.
Unfortunately the OCI (oil change interval)in your vehicle will be limited by fuel contamination of the oil caused by active regenerations of the DPF (diesel particulate filter). Because of this and your relatively mild climate in Oklahoma I would use a 15W40 meeting your specs.
If however you decide to "delete" EGR and DPF (and urea/SCR) you can use quite long OCIs and that is where a synthetic shows its' value.

Charlie

And being in Oklahoma, you have a lot of Love's fuel stops around. The Love's brand of HDEO is a very good product. I have used in occasionally in the past with several diesels. Every bit as good as most other HDEO's and usually on sale for some better pricing than Wally World stuff. At least worth taking a look at. It is CJ-4.

I agree 15w-40 definitely, maybe 5w-40 during the winter months as I believe 15w 40 is only good in temperatures down to 20 or so. Though I've never used it, I'm tempted to try Mobil 1 tdt 5w-40 full synthetic. And for the 15w 40 I think any good quality oil will do. As aforementioned the sheering of the oil will most likely not be what's limiting the lubricity and varying your OCIs. Oh, does the engine currently have a special "break in" oil? You may want to find out, if so, I would change it at about 1,500 miles, in fact even if it doesn't, I would change it early. Further more when they change it make sure they fill the filter also, it's important many diesel filters are rather large and hold a lot of oil.

I hope this helps.

Amir

Amir

Quote:
the manual says oil change intervals of 15K which seems long for regular oil
Doesn't the sump hold 3 gallons of oil? And modern diesel fuel is low sulfur, along with precise injection metering. That much oil and clean fuel is good for many miles.

You can't go wrong with any good oil. There is no need for a synthetic, even a faux-synthetic like Rotella T6.
spankme2.gif

Use any top name brand of 15W-40 in a jug of your favorite color. You can't go wrong.

Originally Posted By: RichardSenn
First time to own a diesel, anything different I should be concerned with as far as oil?

6.7L Cummins and 300 miles on it, the manual says oil change intervals of 15K which seems long for regular oil. Also, states 5w40 or 15w40 which I planned to run 5w40 synthetic Rotella if that's a good choice. I'd like to run a quality synthetic.

Quote:
In ambient temperatures above 0°F (-18°C), we recommend you use 15W-40 engine oil such
as MOPAR®, Shell Rotella® and Shell Rimula® that meets Chrysler Materials Standard
MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 engine oil category is required. Products meeting Cummins®
CES 20081 may also be used. The identification of these engine oils is typically located on
the back of the oil container.
In ambient temperatures below 0°F (-18°C), we recommend you use 5W-40 synthetic
engine oil such as MOPAR®, Shell Rotella® and Shell Rimula® that meets Chrysler
Materials Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 engine oil category is required.

It's nice to see Chrysler recommending oil change intervals of 15k miles. I've been doing 24k intervals with Rotella T6 on my Cummins and haven't really been using up the oil at that interval. I used to run Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40 on 18k intervals and it worked just fine down to 0F.

Does your truck have an oil life monitor? If you do a lot of short trips and city driving, the particulate trap will do a lot of regens, and that may trigger the OLM sooner.

T6 is a faux-synthetic....right

T6 is top of the heap.

Everyone needs to lose their "it's got to be PAO or it isn't synthetic" 1980's mantra.

In addition to the 15,000 mile OCI, RAM includes a 6 month change requirement.

The calendar will catch most folks before they can rack up 15,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Everyone needs to lose their "it's got to be PAO or it isn't synthetic" 1980's mantra.

Actually, according to Chevron's testing of the competition, T6 has a reasonable dose of PAO. It's not primarily PAO, but it's more "synthetic" than most oils out there, if people wish to be picky.
wink.gif

Exactly.....

Net of the current $5 SOPUS rebate, T6 is $16.36 a gallon at Wallyworld.

That's a lot of HDEO for your money.

Of course a perfectly serveable Chevron Delo 400 15W-40 is there on the shelf, with no rebate required, for $11.44.

Sorry about the Walmart commercial here.

So, I've had the truck now for right at a month and I've got 5K on the odometer. After looking on forums, and here I'm really leaning towards Rotella T6 for the oil change tomorrow. By the way I"m doing it early a 5k to get the factory fill out. Oil life monitor on the truck still says I have 70% left.

What are the opinions on the Mopar OEM oil filter, is it any good or should I make the switch to Fleetguard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back