Cheap discontinued Prestolite wires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rock Auto had a set of Prestolite "Gold Wire" plug wires for my truck priced at $4.24. There were only 4 left, so I figured I may as well order a set. The part number, 356197, seems to be discontinued. The Rock Auto description just says "wholesaler closeout" and "private label package." Looking on the Prestolite website, only ProConnect wires are shown for my truck and they have a different part number.

Are these probably good wires since they are made by Prestolite, or does Prestolite sometimes make cheap junk too? I'm curious to see what a $4 set of wires made by Prestolite looks like. Typically wires for my truck would cost about $15-25.

Probably way-old stock.They do not now make a 2nd econo line,maybe they once did.

I think you will note when Rock Auto has those it often will also note 'Private Label Pkg'. My guess is wires made for someone else by prestolite. For example I think prestolite does (or did) make the carquest branded wires. Probably make others also. This is just a guess. Let us know.

IIRC, "Gold Lite" is Auto Zone's old house ignition-part brand (replaced by Valucraft). Essentially, they're AZ wires...should be fine.

I'm sure they will be fine as stated above alot of times they are just changed box styles and no longer offer the same packege etc., Prestolite always have made good wires.

They ended up being some old stock Carquest wires. They look good though, just like OEM. They are grey like the OEM wires and are clearly marked made in the USA.

I put the wires in this evening with some new Denso platinum plugs (cheapest plats that weren't Autolite or Champion). It's running smooth as silk. The engine was pretty smooth before, but it feels a touch smoother and more powerful now. It could just be a placebo effect, but either way with about 127K on the wires it was time.

The new wires were identical to OEM aside from being different shades of gray. The boots were exactly the same, so it appears the OEM wires are Prestolite.

Consider yourself lucky. The ProConnect "wholesaler discount" wires for my car are $18. Still much cheaper than the NGK set I was planning on buying at $42. Civic forums always talk about how Hondas "love" NGK products, but I might give these ProConnects a shot too.

Originally Posted By: VicVinegar
Consider yourself lucky. The ProConnect "wholesaler discount" wires for my car are $18. Still much cheaper than the NGK set I was planning on buying at $42. Civic forums always talk about how Hondas "love" NGK products, but I might give these ProConnects a shot too.

Prestolite is also the OEM supplier along with Sumitomo for spark plug wires for Honda. When I went to the dealer to buy spark plug wires, I was given the option for either Prestolite or Sumitomo at the exact same cost of 62 dollars and some change...

Just like how many people use "NGK" V-Power spark plugs with great success instead of OEM spark plugs which are made by NGK, I'm sure using Prestolite spark plug wires instead of OEM (prestolite) wires would be the same result.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Rock Auto Wholesaler Closeout stuff is often just a really good deal. Not need to worry.

I recently went crazy with their wholesaler closeouts, got a bunch of stuff! Should make a thread about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back