Are you able to buy ammo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first time they had a terrible shortage of target ammo, I went out and over a period of time stocked up until I had enough to last for quite a while. And it turned out that was a good idea for another reason-the ammo was cheaper back then.

When the next shortage came I didn't worry at all. I have enough 9mm ammo to last for a while and for right now I don't care if they don't have any at the local Wal-Mart or not. Plus I found a store where I can get the ammo even if it is at a higher price. That store is Bass Pro Shop. They seem to have a good amount at least the last time I was there.

So I still have several boxes of 9mm target ammo. But I have only one box of target ammo for my .40 cal Glock.

Last edited:
I have two friends who've been able to find .22LR on the shelf randomly. Trouble was, they paid $50 for 500 rounds. Better price than you'll find on the internet at least.

Talked to the guy in the sporting goods area of my local Walmart a couple of days ago, and he says they still sell out of 22LR in an hour when shipments show up. It's been 2 years and people are still hoarding 22LR. Certain people know when the shipments come in and they are there to buy all they can. It's pretty ridiculous - this is still going on after 2 years! Are these same people going to be doing this for the next 5 years?
crazy.gif

I did buy a 100 round box of Federal .223 for $40 however.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
It's been 2 years and people are still hoarding 22LR. Certain people know when the shipments come in and they are there to buy all they can. It's pretty ridiculous - this is still going on after 2 years! Are these same people going to be doing this for the next 5 years?

These idiots sell the ammo at gun shows and via gun forums. They drive the cost up for the rest of us. Really ticks me off. The shortage is artificial. There is no reason why the .22LR is in such high demand as it is. It is slowly subsiding though and might be about over in 6-12 months, hopefully.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
It's been 2 years and people are still hoarding 22LR. Certain people know when the shipments come in and they are there to buy all they can. It's pretty ridiculous - this is still going on after 2 years! Are these same people going to be doing this for the next 5 years?

These idiots sell the ammo at gun shows and via gun forums. They drive the cost up for the rest of us. Really ticks me off. The shortage is artificial. There is no reason why the .22LR is in such high demand as it is. It is slowly subsiding though and might be about over in 6-12 months, hopefully.

If the idiots that BUY the ridiculously overpriced ammo from the people selling it at gun shows and forums would stop purchasing it, the shortage issues would cease very quickly.

Talked to the guy in the sporting goods area of my local Walmart a couple of days ago, and he says they still sell out of 22LR in an hour when shipments show up.

It's the same way here. You can buy 9mm, .40SW, .45, all day long. Heck, there are cases upon cases of .223 and 5.56. But no .22LR.

I found another store where I can get ammo. Big R had .40 cal ammo for my Glock. And it was decent in price. Most of the time Wal-Mart never seems to have ammo which is okay-I have found two other stores to get it. When I need ammo I will go to the places that have it.

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
Originally Posted By: bubbatime

If the idiots that BUY the ridiculously overpriced ammo from the people selling it at gun shows and forums would stop purchasing it, the shortage issues would cease very quickly.

Truth. Supply and demand.

They always seem out at the Wal-Mart I go to. Although I managed to buy one box of .40 cal at that Wal-Mart a while back. It was I think the only box there (of .40 cal). And there did not seem to be much in the way of other ammo either.

I don't care. Big R has ammo and Bass Pro Shop has ammo. And Big R was reasonable with price also.

I only have two boxes of ammo for target practice for the .40 but that means I can go twice this summer. And I still have 9 mm ammo. I met a guy at the Big R who claimed he had been Airborne. He had a cap that said that. He said ammo just for common target use should be called 'field grade' ammo. That 'target' ammo was for professional competition shooters.

I don't know about that but I have two boxes of 'field grade' ammo for my .40.

Primarily the problem in the USA is .22 LR shortages, yet the manufactures are reporting record production numbers. Small dealers around western Canada have European brands as well as the North American labels. Nobody is allowed to walk into those stores and clean the shelves, because the store owner won't have it. The reason being it is hard to sell a firearm and all the accessories especially to a new gun owner, without ammunition. Letting hoarders take over is bad for business and the sport in general. I would imagine a few conspiracy theories could be born out of this, but that is one topic that could be driving the fear factor creating the hoarders and the shortage of ammunition.

Originally Posted By: c502cid
Mystic, not sure where you live, but every Walmart has loads and loads of 40s&w around here. Denver metro.

The ones I go to has lots of 7.62x39 .40, and even carry 7.62x54r (Never had that before.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back