1999 Grand Am 2.4L missing

Status
Not open for further replies.
a friend of mine asked me to help change their spark plugs... the old plugs were so worn you could drive a truck through the gap and there was quite a bit of oil on the plug as i pulled them out (they do have an obvious valve cover leak so it could have been pooled up near the top of the plug and ran down as i was removing)

got the new plugs put in, everything bolted back together and it sounds like it's missing and it's throwing a code (but no CEL) i tried a few times removing and replacing the cover to see if i just wasn't getting things lined up right but it's no good

before i did this they had a P0301 code which i cleared and now they have P0300

what suggestions would you have of things to try... i was thinking maybe try new plug boots first

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
Where did it go?

I just had to, sorry. LOL

I see what you did there!
crackmeup2.gif

You sure you didn't crack a plug or something when putting them in?

What plugs did you put in? I imagine this is not COP, so high tension wires redone? Pentroof DOHC heads are sensitive to plug length from the nut gasket to the terminal - also some plugs have a insulator varnish on the terminal that requires removal if your wire terminal is just a coiled wire pigtail. I would say cause:
A) "Dirty" or sloppy plug install
then
B) stressed wires/bootstick.

You have to keep hi-tension ignition components pristine clean like an O.R. an never axially or torsionally strain secondary wiring.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danno
Check this out.

http://repairpal.com/engine-misfire-due-to-ignition-coil-housing-failure-230

Exactly. I had a 1996 Sunfire GT with the 2.4l in it and it would actually stall upon acceleration intermittently. One garage tried the shotgun approach and changed the plugs, boots, coils and the coil housing with aftermarket parts. No change.

I had also changed the original coil housing with a new dealer part when I had misdiagnosed timing issues. I kept the OE housing, and thought what the heck and installed it back in with the new coils, boots and plugs. Misfires never came back.

With that particular part, it's the luck of the draw if you get a good one or not. Just keep replacing it and warranty it if it doesn't solve the misfire issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back