How do I safely remove an over-tightened drainplug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, went to change the oil of a family member's car today. Last OC was from a Valvoline Instant Oil Change location. I got under the car and the drain plug was CRANKED on, tighter than any drain plug I've ever encountered before. How on Earth do I get this thing off without stripping the oil pan??
mad.gif

Use a 6-point socket that fits very well, then use long levered ratchet (1/2" with an adapter if needed) to get some power on it. Make sure you turn it the correct way.
smile.gif

I have encountered this before on my father in-law's car. His was stripped out and way too tight. It was too rounded off to get anywhere with a socket. I clamped a pair of vice grips on it and gave it a couple of taps with a hammer to loosen it then just installed a new drain plug.

I'm really afraid of stripping the threads. Should I apply smooth, continuous pressure or try to crack it loose with jerking motions?

if its going to strip, its going to strip.
Use a long breaker bar and a 6point socket make sure you are going the right direction then do pull ups until it moves.

if you cant get the right angle to go down

you can go the opposite side and raise a jack under it for torque.

LOOKING at the head of the bolt should be counter-clockwise to loosen clockwise to tighten.

I have 4 levels of force for bolts

Ratchet
18" breaker bar
25" breaker bar
25" breaker bar with pullup type motion, Hammer, or car jack.. depending on bolt and location.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
I'm really afraid of stripping the threads. Should I apply smooth, continuous pressure or try to crack it loose with jerking motions?

A couple of good sharp hammer raps on the end of a wrench or old ratchet should do the trick.

I bet someone used an Air wench to put it on.

The damage is done when it is over tightened.
I would use a hand held impact wrench and a hammer. But if it is stripped, you're just going to have to deal with it

Breaker bar and hammer. Sharp raps only.

If it's stripped, it was before you started.

Have a spare plug on hand.

Depending on materials, you can also heat up the pan side of the fitting, which can help.

What usually strips first, the oil pan or the plug? I can deal with a stripped plug but I'd be none too happy about a stripped pan. Are pans easy to strip or does that almost never happen?

More often, its the pan side.

But it is what it is.

Sometimes, an oversize plug can be fitted if that happens.

The sheet metal pans on my Jeep V8 stripped their threads. A piece of thread got bent and stripped the oil plug on a BMW of mine. I chased it with with a 12 mm tap before I used a new plug. You should check out the pan and make sure it isnt aluminum. You really dont want to beat on AL too much.

Originally Posted By: expat
I bet someone used an Air wench to put it on.

The damage is done when it is over tightened.
I would use a hand held impact wrench and a hammer. But if it is stripped, you're just going to have to deal with it

Someone's about to get fired if they used an air wrench. I hate some of those hired off the street cheap labor employees.

I'm thinking about just bringing it to the Valvoline location that did this and talking to the manager. It has the Valvoline sticker in the window still, not to mention the telltale Valvoline filter so it's not like I have no proof it was them. I'd love to have these [censored] take care of the drain plug removal and have the boss see what these idiots do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back