Valvoline Max Life (synthetic) 10w-30 = 6.3% Noack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wemay
I'm surprised this oil doesn't recieve more discussion.

Pretty much any 10w-30 doesn't receive much discussion since it's kind of an obsolete grade these days.

Fair enough... Glad Hyundai still recommends it though
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Pretty much any 10w-30 doesn't receive much discussion since it's kind of an obsolete grade these days.

It's interesting to note that one of our big retail locations here got rid of just about every 10w-30 synthetic on clearance and didn't bother restocking them.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Plenty of 10w30 synthetics hit 6-7% NOACK. It's easier to hit lower NOACK compared to a 5w30, but a 5w30 is almost always superior imho.

How?

Originally Posted By: Hermann
Plenty of 10w30 synthetics hit 6-7% NOACK. It's easier to hit lower NOACK compared to a 5w30, but a 5w30 is almost always superior imho.

How?

Better cold flow properties.

smile.gif

Yeah that would've been a better grade for your Hyundai instead of that sluggish and lethargic 0W-40.
grin2.gif

How?

If you need them in Florida...

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
smile.gif

Yeah that would've been a better grade for your Hyundai instead of that sluggish and lethargic 0W-40.
grin2.gif

Like ah slug, Merk'... ah slug.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow

How?

Nope, cold flow properties not needed here.

Originally Posted By: Garak

It's interesting to note that one of our big retail locations here got rid of just about every 10w-30 synthetic on clearance and didn't bother restocking them.

I can understand that in Canada, but here, there's 10w30 everywhere. Funny how I've come full circle and back to Valvoline huh? Lol.

How?

Some nights in FL, temperature drops to near freezing, at which temp a typical 5w-30 is notably thinner than a typical 10w-30. But yeah, both flow fairly easy, so no huge benefit there.

Nope, cold flow properties not needed here.

There's always an advantage to 5w30 over 10w30. There just is, because obsolete and old spec and cold flow and new cars.

5w30 is a better oil, even in Florida and the Saharan desert. Why you ask? Because it's newer, period. End of discussion. There, that was easy.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: jrustles
Why you ask? Because it's newer, period. End of discussion.

smirk.gif

You're obviously a better BITOG member because you're newer, period. End of discussion.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
Why you ask? Because it's newer, period. End of discussion.

smirk.gif

You're obviously a better BITOG member because you're newer, period. End of discussion.

lol.gif
right?

Some nights in FL, temperature drops to near freezing, at which temp a typical 5w-30 is notably thinner than a typical 10w-30. But yeah, both flow fairly easy, so no huge benefit there.

No freezing nights way down here in Miami/Homestead area, and for Jrustles, Hyundai specs two weights, 10w-30 being one of them for car in sig.

Last edited:
Much lower NOACK...Lower/More natural Viscosity Index without all those nasty VII polymers...It is obvious that the 10w30 is a better choice than the 5w30...Obvious to those who can understand a spec sheet.

No freezing nights way down here in Miami/Homestead area,

I said "near freezing." I used to live in Miami area. I do remember occasional days in the winter when temps dropped to mid-low 30s at night. Not often though.

No freezing nights way down here in Miami/Homestead area,

I said "near freezing." I used to live in Miami area. I do remember occasional days in the winter when temps dropped to mid-low 30s at night. Not often though.

That's true, maybe 4 nights this past winter it dipped into the 40s with a 30s windchill. I don't think a 10w30 would be inappropriate for those conditions though, you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back