50w drive train oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would a non-synthetic 50w drive train oil that is TO-4 rated be suitable for us in a 10-speed Eaton transmission in a semi-truck? The truck and transmission are 2002 model years and are well past any kind of warranty coverage. The truck is only driven locally and this time of year only drives 20-30 miles a day.

Why would you give up better fuel economy and better shifting? and most likely better protection ? Even if your 50w was free you would still come out ahead using synthetic...

Last edited:
Yeah, in a truck like that I wouldn't cheap out on a non-synthetic. Bite the bullet now and get a better fluid. It will shift better, protect better, and last longer.

What is 50w?
I've never seen anything labelled even remotely as such. So please specify what product you are referring to because 50w isn't a thing.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
What is 50w?
I've never seen anything labelled even remotely as such. So please specify what product you are referring to because 50w isn't a thing.

50W transmission lubes are common in multi-gear ratio HD truck transmissions.

I would ask, what is the speced transmission oil weight, and is this a PowerShift design?

Last edited:
Hi,
sdan27 - As Molakule states this is a common viscosity in Eaton multispeed transmissions. Check the correct viscosity for yours though - the TO4 requirement is a OEM Spec

I used both Castrol and Delvac Syn 50 lubricants in my 13spd and 18spd Eaton gearboxes for many years. They reduced operating temps by about These had a Pour Point
They greatly extended seal and component life along with greatly extended OCIs (out to 1m> kms)

The 18 speed trannys at work all take 50 weight oil. The boss buys the Delvac brand. The only reason he needed to change it is because the coolant/transmission oil cooler started leaking coolant into the transmission oil and he had to flush the transmission a few times to get all of the coolant out.

50wt synthetic change every 2000hrs or every 5 yrs
80w90 change every 500hrs

If ur keeping the truck 5 more years fill with syn and forget it. $140 a bucket.

If ur keeping the truck 1 year..fill it with 80W90 and forget it. $60 a bucket

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: Clevy
What is 50w?

50W transmission lubes are common in multi-gear ratio HD truck transmissions.

I would ask, what is the speced transmission oil weight, and is this a PowerShift design?

Thank you.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
sdan27 - As Molakule states this is a common viscosity in Eaton multispeed transmissions. Check the correct viscosity for yours though - the TO4 requirement is a OEM Spec

I used both Castrol and Delvac Syn 50 lubricants in my 13spd and 18spd Eaton gearboxes for many years. They reduced operating temps by about These had a Pour Point
They greatly extended seal and component life along with greatly extended OCIs (out to 1m> kms)

Now that is great info to know.

I'm impressed that temps were reduced. I assume any reduction in heat will affect component life making it last longer between service.
I wonder how this stuff would work in a Harley tranny.
Not trying to thread jack,just thinking out loud

Clevy,
just like engine oils, there's no "50W", just this set use the same "seconds through the viscometer" that gave us out 20, 30, 40, and 50 grade engine oils.

The specs are tighter for TO-4 than for SAE J300, i.e.
cat%20t04.jpg

So don't think that an engine oil can take their place.

As an aside, I think it's pretty neat that a 4L60 trans is part of the "test equipment" that you need to certify that your fluid is TO--4...like to see one of them run a 50...

Cat, like DD, don't certify your oil, they throw the onus back on the blender to confirm that their lube meets Cat's (detailed) specs.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Clevy,
just like engine oils, there's no "50W", just this set use the same "seconds through the viscometer" that gave us out 20, 30, 40, and 50 grade engine oils.

The specs are tighter for TO-4 than for SAE J300, i.e.
cat%20t04.jpg

So don't think that an engine oil can take their place.

As an aside, I think it's pretty neat that a 4L60 trans is part of the "test equipment" that you need to certify that your fluid is TO--4...like to see one of them run a 50...

Cat, like DD, don't certify your oil, they throw the onus back on the blender to confirm that their lube meets Cat's (detailed) specs.

I'm this case I assume a 50w is a straight grade sae50......right?

So it's more like a gear oil and would be additized as such wouldn't it.

This is the thread I was looking for.

Petro-Can publishes their primary add-pack in the handbook for the TO-4 lubricants.

Also; GL-3, API CD and a FZG # of passes.

The old Esso product book from 10 years back stated "Passes API CD. but is not our primary recommendation for Diesel engine oil".

This is why I keep on about TO-4 lubricants may be the best $4.00 a liter motorcycle engine/transmission oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back