fridge is broken

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, went in the freezer last evening and found that evryhing was all but thawed out. My wife said she was in the freezer before she left for work yesterday morning and its possible she didn't close the door right. So I gave it a few hours but it became obvious he compressor wasn't working, the coils weren't even getting hot. The fan keeps running to circulate air, and I think I can hear the compressor try to kick in for a few seconds, but then it stops. My question is, are they worth fixing, or is it better to find a used one? Not so sure a new one is in the budget right now. I have everything in my fridge converted to a tap out in the garage right now, so while inconvenient at the moment, at least I have some time. The fridge in question is a 3yr old Maytag side by side fridge/freezer with an ice and water dispensor.

Of course it could be a lot of things and there is troubleshooting information on the web to help diagnose. However, on ours it was only the little compressor relay that plugs into the pins on the compressor housing. I took it off and it rattled when I shook it, the thing was only about $15 locally. It was worth a shot to try and it turned out to be the problem for us. You might want to check that first.

Mine went out back in January, but that one ran continuously. Turned out the compressor had an internal leak because the coils in the freezer would freeze over (no pun intended) only on the bottom half. Compressors cost $230 online and a brand new fridge cost $450 at Menards. Picked the new one since the old one was 9 years old and also got a $50 rebate from the utility company.

If it were me I would research what could be causing your problem (could be as simple as a thermostat) and if your frig is toast, then search Craigslist.

Last edited:
Whether it's worth fixing depends on what's wrong with it. Might cost $5 to fix, might cost $500. Is it possibly still under warranty? Surely it shouldn't [censored] out on you at only 3 years old.

If it does need to be replaced and you don't have the budget for a new one, try Craigslist. We got a nice black/stainless Kenmore side by side for $150. Aside from a small dent in one of the doors, it might as well have been new. That was 2 years ago and it still works great.

If you haven't ever cleaned dust out of the condenser coils, 3 years is about the right amount of time for this to be a problem.

One that new may have a motherboard controlling the compressor and thermostats, I kid you not. Especially if it has any electronics. The more gadgets, the more electronics they load them with. They go out often, depending on power events. We put ours on a dedicated surge/spike circuit to try and add some life to those frail electronics.

Meanwhile, my beer Frigidaire in the basement just turned 50. Still keeps 'em super ice cold. Does suck a little more ac, though, but not that much. I think we replaced the inside bulb 15-20 years ago on it. Fridges were smaller in '64.

Originally Posted By: spackard
If you haven't ever cleaned dust out of the condenser coils, 3 years is about the right amount of time for this to be a problem.

I agree! I can't give a specific time frame, but mine was filthy when I finally got around to cleaning it.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
One that new may have a motherboard controlling the compressor and thermostats, I kid you not. Especially if it has any electronics. The more gadgets, the more electronics they load them with. They go out often, depending on power events. We put ours on a dedicated surge/spike circuit to try and add some life to those frail electronics.

Meanwhile, my beer Frigidaire in the basement just turned 50. Still keeps 'em super ice cold. Does suck a little more ac, though, but not that much. I think we replaced the inside bulb 15-20 years ago on it. Fridges were smaller in '64.

My parents just got rid of theirs from the late 70s.

It stopped working one day.

Once they cleared everything out ... turns out something in the freezer broke into one of the vents and was plugging it. So ... wasn't really bad.

Sounds like compressor relay or possibly compressor. Unfortunately a lot of newer domestic fridges have been using oddball compressor manufacturers, which may mean the relay isn't available.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Sounds like compressor relay or possibly compressor. Unfortunately a lot of newer domestic fridges have been using oddball compressor manufacturers, which may mean the relay isn't available.

It's often easy enough to use a generic aftermarket relay.

If you can hear clicking sound every now and then,Most probably the compressor is good but the start relay kit is failing to give the compressor the right voltage.

3 year old Maytag is made by Whirlpool, the part runs about $25-65 on the Average and it's very DIY friendly.

Shut the fridge off at the thermostat then Unplug it and move the stuff to another fridge or freezer, Because the compressor failing to start over and over is not healthy for it then Look up the model number for your machine,it's usually on a sticker on the inside of the fridge.By the model number I should give you the part number you need.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

It's often easy enough to use a generic aftermarket relay.

Don't use generic aftermarket relays on anything newer than 10 years, especially on Frigidaire/Westinghouse, they will work for little while then you will have a bad compressor.On an older one, it'll work.

I wouldn't run a 50 year old fridge. The ones made in the last few years use a lot less electricity than even those made 10-20 years ago. Every few years it seems they got better and better. If you can DIY, then go for it, but I've given up buying used fridge, they last a couple of years then go out. Basic 18 cu ft fridges are in the $400-$450 range if you use a 10% coupon code at Lowes which you can find in various places online. To me even a $150 fridge isn't worth the savings over a $400 one, it's used so it won't last as long and then you have to go out, load it on a truck, get it into the house and then get rid of the old one. That adds up to a few hours plus you also need to call around and find one. Lowes does free delivery so I don't even have to go to the store, I usually just call to make sure they have one in stock and they do free delivery the next day if it is. Takes 10 minutes. I'm a landlord though so that's my take on it, I buy several appliances every year.

Part of the problem here is the reputations of appliance repair people. A few years ago one of these guys quoted me $200 for a repair. I told him I'd think about it and call him back. The neighbor looked at it and we ended up replacing a $22.00 relay. He found the problem in a few minutes so the repair guy must have been able to find the same problem. The fridge is still working today.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I wouldn't run a 50 year old fridge. The ones made in the last few years use a lot less electricity than even those made 10-20 years ago. Every few years it seems they got better and better.

And every few years they break. Between the service calls and replacing them every few years, I think my trusty old Frigidaire is still ahead on TCO.

I'll let the wife save all the electricity with the upstairs fancy doors one.

I can hear a click, like a relay is turning on, and then there is a slight hum from the compressor, though much quieter than it used to be, and then the hum gets a slightly higher pitch to it, and a few seconds later it stops. its quite possible it is a relay. I'll try and check it out tonight. My wife has already made a call to a repair man that her family knows, still waiting on a return call from him.

just for future reference, what is a good quality brand in household appliances these days? I havn't had much luck with frigidare window a/c units, their drain system sucks and water collects around the evaporator, causing mildew to build up in the Styrofoam duct work after awhile. My parents had an Amana fridge that lasted for 20 something years. I've never had luck with anything GE, but its been years since I've had experience with anything from them. And, as with Maytag/Whirlpool, seems many of the companies have merged. Is Samsung or LG better than the others these days?

Yeah, circuit boards and such things can be the issue. THe capacitors to start the compressors can also go - ours wasnt acting right but was cooling fine, and somehow we found out that both were bad.

Why are so many modern appliances disposable junk?
Back in the day, you'd be able to keep a refrigerator as long as you could stand to look at it and the same was true of ranges, dishwashers and washing machines.
The same was true of small appliances like toasters and blenders.
It isn't just the cheapies failing young, either.

I have a basic top-freezer model I bought new in 1991. It isn't even a highly rated brand (Monkey Wards Signature 2000 by Admiral). It has been dead reliable for 23 years now. I was tempted to by a new one when rebates were offered for the more energy efficient new models. But, I have to wonder how a refrigerator I paid $600 for in 1991 can now be had (equivalent model, that is) for $500. That $600 is apparently $1,045 in today's dollars. For that kind of money you could get something a lot less basic. Overseas sourcing of parts, even if the machine is assembled here, is part of the equation. Working in the HVAC industry as a parts buyer I can tell you that some of those parts just don't cut the mustard. Can you say DOA electric motors in brand-new air handlers?

As others have stated, it seems like I hear often from my family and friends that models since about 2000 just seem to have more issues or do not last, no matter how much they cost initially.

I have kept mine clean and it still matches my (dated) kitchen decor so I think I'll just be keeping it until its dying day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back