Recent Topics
Possible sludged VQ37HR
by aualtima3.5
3 minutes 39 seconds ago
"Gravel Traps"
by simplistic
21 minutes 43 seconds ago
Transmission clunk, I cannot figure it out!
by Klutch9
48 minutes 35 seconds ago
The 15,000 Mile OCI
by macarose
Today at 09:40 PM
Coolant and head gasket question
by Patrick0525
Today at 09:12 PM
Bleeding brakes
by wallyuwl
Today at 09:05 PM
Poles #EatApples to annoy Putin
by dave1251
Today at 08:57 PM
Is it a competition?
by telecat
Today at 08:35 PM
What oil to use in my Saturn
by ram_man
Today at 08:32 PM
Air Travel from US to Ebola Outbreak zone
by Clubber_Lang
Today at 08:22 PM
New 5.0 what oil
by Camprunner
Today at 07:49 PM
Fred's Dollar Store Oil Special
by Red91
Today at 07:44 PM
Newest Members
jdfay, kaesees, bprat318, Winter_Texan, SloopJohnB
50816 Registered Users
Who's Online
98 registered (6starprez, asand1, 123Saab, aquariuscsm, 13Tacoma, 10 invisible), 1497 Guests and 210 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
50816 Members
64 Forums
217134 Topics
3419008 Posts

Max Online: 2862 @ 07/07/14 03:10 PM
Donate to BITOG

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#3383686 - 05/29/14 04:24 AM Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km
Mathson Offline

Loc: North Europe
Once again I read an article of 60 000km endurance test from a local automagazine in Finland. Car in question was a new Golf VII 1.4 TSI ACT. After 60 000km they strip down the engine and found out that turbocharger was worn out. They reckon it will last 100 000km with luck. In the article they came to a conclusion that longlife OCIs just dont protect the engine with 504/507 oils. There were significant signs of oil film failing under extreme heat and pressure. A vehicle was serviced and maintained according to manufacturer's guidelines during the test.

This just confirms my opinion about VW Group. They just don't make good products any more.

#3383688 - 05/29/14 04:34 AM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: Mathson]
Olas Offline

Loc: Manchester, England
LongLife OCI's are only to appeal to people who manage fleets of, say, company cars or hire cars.

Regular changes with good oil, and being considerate enough to let the engine reach temperature before romping on it would at a bare minimum double the life-expectancy.

One other thing that people don't seem to do these days? Let the turbo cool down before you switch the engine off!! No better way to kill a turbo in double quick time than to switch the engine off while it's still hot and let the oil in the turbo's bearings turn to coal.

Your opinion of VW group products is a mistake. They still make good products, it's just unfortunate that a lot of people are too stupid to know how to maintain their vehicles.
1900 lbs
71000 miles
44mpg
Weber/Millers/Mahle/ITG/Leda/Michelin/Brembo/Pagid/Pioneer

#3383690 - 05/29/14 04:43 AM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: Olas]
Mathson Offline

Couldn't agree with you more. But then again why turbo cool down is not mentioned in a user's handbook if engine clearly benefits from it. Just a manufacturer's way of [censored] in customer's morning serial.

When it comes to my opinion about VW, I have had a bad experience in a form of timing chain failure and DSG failure in my 2009 Golf. Seems that technology goes backwards.

#3383697 - 05/29/14 05:23 AM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: Mathson]
Olas Offline

Maybe the owners manual doesn't mention 'cool-down' because it's obvious? I knew about the need to let a turbo cool down before switching the engine off before I even started my driving lessons..some things are just obvious (IMO!) like checking tyre pressures and fluid levels and bulbs each week. Common sense.

How many miles were on your DSG when the chain failed? Whenb you stripped/inspected/repaired it did you see excessive wear in the guides? chipped teeth on the pulleys?? I've always seen chains stretch and cause idling problems before they snap - were you ignoring a nooise hoping it'd go away before the chain failed?
1900 lbs
71000 miles
44mpg

#3383704 - 05/29/14 06:04 AM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: Olas]
Mathson Offline

DSG failed at 85 000km, timing chain at 118 000km. You can make conversion to miles. Only indication of chain stretch was a rattling noise of 5 sec at start up. When it first happened I called to a dealer but chain snapped before the service time. I even record it on a film before and after repair. From the film one cannot determine which is which. The sound is identical. I didnt see the parts it was repaired at the dealers. Only at my work place four people with TSI suffered from a same issue.

But now we know that there was a design flaw cause new TSIs are belt driven.

My opinion is that manufacturer cannot make assumptions that a customer knows how to
properly use and maintain their product if it is not mentioned in a handbook. Only reason it is not mentioned is because manufacture's official opinion is that TSI engine doesn't need a cool down period under normal operating conditions.

#3383707 - 05/29/14 06:17 AM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: Olas]
shDK Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: Olas
LongLife OCI's are only to appeal to people who manage fleets of, say, company cars or hire cars.

Regular changes with good oil, and being considerate enough to let the engine reach temperature before romping on it would at a bare minimum double the life-expectancy.

One other thing that people don't seem to do these days? Let the turbo cool down before you switch the engine off!! No better way to kill a turbo in double quick time than to switch the engine off while it's still hot and let the oil in the turbo's bearings turn to coal.

Your opinion of VW group products is a mistake. They still make good products, it's just unfortunate that a lot of people are too stupid to know how to maintain their vehicles.

i have to disagree with you there. :-)

i believe that the quality and durability of Volkswagen, cars dropped dramatically. when they stopped making the golf 4 and passat 3BG.

and a costumer must be able to follow the manufacturers serviceplan, without any problems with durability . if the serviceplan is not good enough. it is the manufacturer that has failed, not the costumer.

Edited by shDK (05/29/14 06:18 AM)

#3383709 - 05/29/14 06:18 AM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: Mathson]
davglt Offline

Loc: kansas
My 2002 Audi A4 1.8T has 282,000 miles, no engine parts have been replaced, turbo is just fine, 7500 mile oil changes with 502 oils, Mobil 1, GC 0-30 and now PU 5-40 Euro. Less then 1/2 quart between changes, Audi/VW still makes good products if you take care of them. original CV joints, etc.

#3383717 - 05/29/14 06:59 AM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: shDK]
JHZR2 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: shDK
and a costumer must be able to follow the manufacturers serviceplan, without any problems with durability . if the serviceplan is not good enough. it is the manufacturer that has failed, not the costumer.

Not necessarily. The manufacturer has to make products that live past the warranty perior and then perhaps some longer interval wthout causing excessive costs to the manufaturer. After that it is anybody's guess.

It is well understood that turbomachinery life is dictated by time AT temperature. Perhaps the vehicle was way underpowered and spent too much time at full boost, causing issues. I dont know and Im not sure anyone can say. But that would be my first gut feel, regardless of SAPS, which we know full well can be replaced with other more benign things in most applications.

#3383754 - 05/29/14 08:14 AM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: Mathson]
badtlc Offline

Loc: KC
Originally Posted By: Mathson
Once again I read an article of 60 000km endurance test from a local automagazine in Finland. Car in question was a new Golf VII 1.4 TSI ACT. After 60 000km they strip down the engine and found out that turbocharger was worn out. They reckon it will last 100 000km with luck. In the article they came to a conclusion that longlife OCIs just dont protect the engine with 504/507 oils. There were significant signs of oil film failing under extreme heat and pressure. A vehicle was serviced and maintained according to manufacturer's guidelines during the test.

This just confirms my opinion about VW Group. They just don't make good products any more.

Link?

#3383797 - 05/29/14 09:17 AM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: Mathson]
double vanos Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
I wanted a GTI but VWs quality ratings via several sources told me not to do it. So I went with another Mazdaspeed 3. Had a terrific time with my first one (08) and this second one is doing well (13) also.

I figure one reason is I don't mod my cars, just drive them stock and maintain them old school (ie no extended drains etc).

#3383808 - 05/29/14 09:44 AM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: Olas]
geeman789 Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Maybe the owners manual doesn't mention 'cool-down' because it's obvious? I knew about the need to let a turbo cool down before switching the engine off before I even started my driving lessons..some things are just obvious (IMO!) like checking tyre pressures and fluid levels and bulbs each week. Common sense...

Seriously...? The average driver doesn't know if their car is FWD / RWD... and if the car has a turbo, ask them what it actually is... most have no idea.

#3383816 - 05/29/14 09:52 AM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: Mathson]
edyvw Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs
DSG failed at 85 000km, timing chain at 118 000km. You can make conversion to miles. Only indication of chain stretch was a rattling noise of 5 sec at start up. When it first happened I called to a dealer but chain snapped before the service time. I even record it on a film before and after repair. From the film one cannot determine which is which. The sound is identical. I didnt see the parts it was repaired at the dealers. Only at my work place four people with TSI suffered from a same issue.

But now we know that there was a design flaw cause new TSIs are belt driven.

My opinion is that manufacturer cannot make assumptions that a customer knows how to
properly use and maintain their product if it is not mentioned in a handbook. Only reason it is not mentioned is because manufacture's official opinion is that TSI engine doesn't need a cool down period under normal operating conditions.

110,000km on CC 2.0T, driven very hard, all kind of oils used (5W40, 0W30, 0W40, 5W30) and still going strong not using a drop of oil, never change any part except pads/rotors.

#3383836 - 05/29/14 10:06 AM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: badtlc]
Mathson Offline

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Link?

The article was in a printed media. But here is the link to their web site. It's in finnish.
http://tekniikanmaailma.fi/arkisto/lehtiarkisto?HaeNumero2=true&year=0&number=x

#3383855 - 05/29/14 10:40 AM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: Olas]
rjundi Offline

Loc: New England

Modern turbo design includes a siphon of coolant and sometimes oil which allows flow to continue a bit a draw heat away.

My wife has 180,000 miles on a Subaru Legacy Turbo(VF40) that uses 4000 mile OCI. She NEVER has let it idle before shut off. OEM turbo was inspected recently and has no free play and in excellent condition as engine was out for a (burned) valve job.

#3383887 - 05/29/14 11:29 AM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: rjundi]
OneEyeJack Offline

Loc: California
A Ford engineer said their new turbo engines are built for reliability knowing the average owner/driver has no idea what's going on under the hood. He said running the engine to cool the turbo when turning the engine off is not needed on these new Ford turbo engines. He told me that during customer introductions and surveys less than half the people had any idea of what "checking the oil level" meant. Others knew the concept of changing the oil but did not understand what the oil was supposed to be changed to. They had no idea that the oil was replaced with clean oil on some kind of schedule even with an oil life monitor on the dash. Most people would not find BITOG of any interest.

#3383948 - 05/29/14 01:06 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: Mathson]
friendly_jacek Offline

Loc: southeast US
LOL, I have a friend who drives a VW. He is a very talented guy in many disciplines, but clueless about cars. He came to visit me from out of state in his VW. I checked his oil and it was 1.5 qt low. He was shocked as he pays top dollars for service at VW service. He just had oil pan replaced due to leaks ($1500) and some other major work ($$$$) just outside warranty.

Now, when I bought my prius a couple of years ago he would tease me about a "guaranteed" major expense for a battery replacement. Ya, right! He spend more already repairing/servicing his POS VW (not mentioning his VW cost twice as much as my toyota).

My brother in law owns a shop in europe that only repairs VW turbos, injectors, and pumps. Huge demand and he constantly expends his business. They fail a lot, especially in city driving.

#3383976 - 05/29/14 01:44 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: friendly_jacek]
edyvw Offline

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
LOL, I have a friend who drives a VW. He is a very talented guy in many disciplines, but clueless about cars. He came to visit me from out of state in his VW. I checked his oil and it was 1.5 qt low. He was shocked as he pays top dollars for service at VW service. He just had oil pan replaced due to leaks ($1500) and some other major work ($$$$) just outside warranty.

Now, when I bought my prius a couple of years ago he would tease me about a "guaranteed" major expense for a battery replacement. Ya, right! He spend more already repairing/servicing his POS VW (not mentioning his VW cost twice as much as my toyota).

My brother in law owns a shop in europe that only repairs VW turbos, injectors, and pumps. Huge demand and he constantly expends his business. They fail a lot, especially in city driving.

Yeah right!
That wonderful Toyota, that drives like a pillow.

#3384008 - 05/29/14 02:37 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: geeman789]
Olas Offline

Originally Posted By: geeman789
Maybe the owners manual doesn't mention 'cool-down' because it's obvious? I knew about the need to let a turbo cool down before switching the engine off before I even started my driving lessons..some things are just obvious (IMO!) like checking tyre pressures and fluid levels and bulbs each week. Common sense...

Seriously...? The average driver doesn't know if their car is FWD / RWD... and if the car has a turbo, ask them what it actually is... most have no idea.

You're right that most people have no idea - maybe I'm the stupid one for thinking that you shouldn't own something if you can't look after it? It could be an 'old-fashioned' view for a 30 year old?
But it's never been mysterious or complex to me, just a sprinkle of common sense and a twist of mechanical sympathy.
1900 lbs
71000 miles
44mpg

#3384009 - 05/29/14 02:38 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: rjundi]
Olas Offline

Originally Posted By: rjundi

Modern turbo design includes a siphon of coolant and sometimes oil which allows flow to continue a bit a draw heat away.

My wife has 180,000 miles on a Subaru Legacy Turbo(VF40) that uses 4000 mile OCI. She NEVER has let it idle before shut off. OEM turbo was inspected recently and has no free play and in excellent condition as engine was out for a (burned) valve job.

Turbo-timers and water-cooled turbo's are the best invention (for convenience) in the last X number of years! IIRC the TSI is oil cooled, though.
1900 lbs
71000 miles
44mpg

#3384011 - 05/29/14 02:42 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: OneEyeJack]
Olas Offline

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
A Ford engineer said their new turbo engines are built for reliability knowing the average owner/driver has no idea what's going on under the hood. He said running the engine to cool the turbo when turning the engine off is not needed on these new Ford turbo engines. He told me that during customer introductions and surveys less than half the people had any idea of what "checking the oil level" meant. Others knew the concept of changing the oil but did not understand what the oil was supposed to be changed to. They had no idea that the oil was replaced with clean oil on some kind of schedule even with an oil life monitor on the dash. Most people would not find BITOG of any interest.

If that's true my respect for Ford as Engineers and being a customer focused organisation just increased ten-fold! With the exception of a few iconic models, I've generally seen Ford as churning out mediocre cars to an average standard. I'm amazed to hear one of their staff say such a thing and it can only be a good sign smile

Kinda sad that he spoke so badly of so many people though, it just confirms my suspicion that most people are either stupid, or rolling through life on autopilot, or both.
1900 lbs
71000 miles
44mpg

#3384015 - 05/29/14 02:46 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: friendly_jacek]
Olas Offline

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

That you youself called him 'clueless' about cars kinda says something - at 1.5l low the oil wouldn't even be on the dipstick! And the oil light on the dash would be illuminated too! Sometime I think that people are in a competition with themselves to get as many lights on the dash as possible, its like they think its an acheivement or something!
Which car does he drive btw? Over a grand to change a sump-pan is...well...it's a main dealer doing what they know best! A sump&gasket of Ebay is like 20 or 30 notes lol! over a thousand?! The mind boggles!
1900 lbs
71000 miles
44mpg

#3384106 - 05/29/14 04:40 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: Olas]
Garak Online   content

Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Maybe the owners manual doesn't mention 'cool-down' because it's obvious? I knew about the need to let a turbo cool down before switching the engine off before I even started my driving lessons..some things are just obvious (IMO!) like checking tyre pressures and fluid levels and bulbs each week.

Good question. It should be obvious, and regardless of the cooling system, I would still give the thing an opportunity to cool down, just because that's what I've always done. Maybe VW/Audi just thinks it's too much of a hassle for customers and will turn them away from their turbo offerings.

2008 Infiniti G37 coupe - Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, Hastings LF113
1984 F-150 4.9L six - Quaker State GB 10w-30, Wix 51515

#3384151 - 05/29/14 05:22 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: Olas]
magnus308 Offline

Loc: Sweden / Stockholm
Maybe the owners manual doesn't mention 'cool-down' because it's obvious? I knew about the need to let a turbo cool down before switching the engine off before I even started my driving lessons..some things are just obvious (IMO!) like checking tyre pressures and fluid levels and bulbs each week. Common sense.

Most people cant even open the hood on their car and they have no clue where the turbo is or what it do, If car manufacturers start to write all those things in the manuals the we car owners with more knowledge do to keep our car in good condition the potential buyers would start to think its a complicated car to own and drive or that the construction of the engine is not good when other cars do not need such many procedures to keep the car and engine healthy.
99% of the car owners want it to be simple to own and drive a car due to lack of interest in cars.

#3384203 - 05/29/14 06:27 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: Mathson]
BMWTurboDzl Offline

Loc: Atlanta,GA
Couldn't agree with you more. But then again why turbo cool down is not mentioned in a user's handbook if engine clearly benefits from it. Just a manufacturer's way of [censored] in customer's morning serial.

When it comes to my opinion about VW, I have had a bad experience in a form of timing chain failure and DSG failure in my 2009 Golf. Seems that technology goes backwards.
letting the car idle is a waste of fuel if you use a quality synthetic and coolant is still being pumped through the turbos. Many turbo systems use both oil and water. Coking isn't really an issue these days.

#3384295 - 05/29/14 07:56 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: BMWTurboDzl]
edyvw Offline

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

letting the car idle is a waste of fuel if you use a quality synthetic and coolant is still being pumped through the turbos. Many turbo systems use both oil and water. Coking isn't really an issue these days.

You do not need to idle the car unless you parked car in the garage driving at 6,000rpm just before you entered garage.
If you drive 1 mile prior to parking the car normally, turbo will cool off properly. I never push car 1-2 miles prior to parking the car.

#3384699 - 05/30/14 08:30 AM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: edyvw]
Pesca Offline

Loc: Montreal, Quebec in Canada
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

You do not need to idle the car unless you parked car in the garage driving at 6,000rpm just before you entered garage.
If you drive 1 mile prior to parking the car normally, turbo will cool off properly. I never push car 1-2 miles prior to parking the car.

Correct. That is exactly what a Renault dealer told my dad when his car, a Scenic turbodiesel, started to have turbo problem.
He had seen a lot of engines having this kind of problems, always with about the same amount of kms on them, about 100.000kms if I remember correctly, and all were because the oil started cocking little by little in the pipes and after a while block the pipe and starve the turbo of oil.

Even nowadays you need to let the turbo cool a bit in the last few kms before shutting it down, or you will have problems in the long runs.

You can check french forums about that, it is explained in length, and a lot of dealers know that... and explain it to people who want to listen to it... which is the minority like some people already said.

Since they change cars every 5 years, they don't care that much, that is the second owner who have the problems.

#3384985 - 05/30/14 03:26 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: Mathson]
Ayrton Offline

Loc: Washington State, U.S.
The Saab owners manual I've read on one of their last cars said that after a long drive, keep the car running in park a couple minutes. It's a very hot engine compartment. Therefore, I guess they do sometimes still tell you to do this.

VW makes a very high quality product from what I have seen. I have had several as rental cars, and the materials, the way the car drives, the way things fit together, and all the suspension bits were beautiful. You can really tell a difference. Quality doesn't always mean perfect reliability. Honestly with the price of VW products and the products they offer, I don't know how the competitors compete. Passat versus a Camry or Accord, easy winner to me. Jetta versus a Sentra or Corolla? Tiguan versus Rav 4? The other cars are reliable, solid cars, but the VW option always feels oh so good by comparison, at least to me.

#3385290 - 05/30/14 10:08 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: Mathson]
artificialist Offline

Loc: Florida
Where was this VW made? In the USA, it seems VW's made in Germany were usually better than ones made outside.

The difference becomes obvious when you regularly work with MKIV Jettas and B5/B5.5 Passats.

I like VWs because of the way the interior feels, and the way they take corners. If someone can put the dynamics if a VW into a car cheaper to maintain and repair, it would be amazing.

#3385714 - 05/31/14 05:17 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: rjundi]
SubLGT Offline

Loc: Idaho
Originally Posted By: rjundi
...My wife has 180,000 miles on a Subaru Legacy Turbo(VF40) that uses 4000 mile OCI. She NEVER has let it idle before shut off. OEM turbo was inspected recently and has no free play and in excellent condition as engine was out for a (burned) valve job.

Only 1 burned exhaust valve? Did you have a bad injector at that cylinder?

#3386389 - 06/01/14 04:22 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: Mathson]
bigjl Offline

Loc: London, England
We used to cook the turbos on the mk1 Zafira with the 2.0 dti engine. Most cars had at least 1 turbo a year.

The mk2 Zafira treated the same way was much better, 1.9cdti Fiat engine, but they had egr valve and dpf issues instead.

The main difference between the two vehicles was that the mk1 was badly underpowered amd to drive moderately fast meant really pushing the engine.

The mk2 had more torque and power and also a 6 speed autobox instead of 4 speed autobox.

We never had any major issues with the 416 Sprinter Ambulances with the 2.7 diesel lump with 160 odd bhp.

But the 515 and 516 Sprinters with the 2.2 engine and with just under 150 and 160 bhp did have turbo issues apparently.

The harder you push a turbo to produce decent performance then the more likely you are to have issues with the turbo.

The 1.2 and 1.4 tsi engines are not known for reliability in the UK.

And i personally consider Ford products to be much better in terms of longevity than many VAG products.

Too many VAG products with school boy errors in terms of engineering.

#3386783 - 06/02/14 07:44 AM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: bigjl]
Olas Offline

Originally Posted By: bigjl

Too many VAG products with school boy errors in terms of engineering every component and system to be 100% idiot proof

There, I fixed it for you wink
Maybe VAG think to themselves that they like to reward people who use the cars correctly with a very respectable life-span on their vehicles, and for the people who don't/can't follow procedure they get an unreliable car that breaks often.

It's like a manufacturer forcing evolution on it's customers - retention of the smart, survival of the fittest and dissuading of the careless/stupid.

Just a supposition..
1900 lbs
71000 miles
44mpg

#3386945 - 06/02/14 11:51 AM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: Olas]
edyvw Offline

Too many VAG products with school boy errors in terms of engineering every component and system to be 100% idiot proof

There, I fixed it for you wink
Maybe VAG think to themselves that they like to reward people who use the cars correctly with a very respectable life-span on their vehicles, and for the people who don't/can't follow procedure they get an unreliable car that breaks often.

It's like a manufacturer forcing evolution on it's customers - retention of the smart, survival of the fittest and dissuading of the careless/stupid.

Just a supposition..

I would agree on this. VAG is way ahead of Ford in innovation, so there is reason why some errors are happening.
Though errors I saw on Ford's, especially in 90's are just ridiculous. Who can forget Escort and its wiring:)

#3387553 - 06/03/14 03:27 AM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: edyvw]
chrisri Offline

Loc: Fiume,Croatia,EU
Strong point of VW cars are interior finish that are superb for its class.Mechanically they are nothing special compared to other Euro cars

#3390547 - 06/06/14 10:25 AM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: edyvw]
friendly_jacek Offline

Loc: southeast US
VAG is way ahead of Ford in innovation, so there is reason why some errors are happening.

+1. VAG are cars for enthusiasts, not a boring commuting appliance.

BTW, I enjoy my boring commuting appliance immensely.

I still remember the adrenaline rush when my junky car would quit in the middle of nowhere when I was young.

#3390644 - 06/06/14 11:57 AM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: friendly_jacek]
chrisri Offline

Altough that may well be in US,Euro Fords are far better drivers cars then VW.New Mondeo,Focus even a Fiesta drives great.This cars are engineered in UK and Brits know thing or two about handling.Pre Focus cars where disaster except Cosworth cars.VAG does have edge in engines though.

#3390992 - 06/06/14 07:30 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: chrisri]
edyvw Offline

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Altough that may well be in US,Euro Fords are far better drivers cars then VW.New Mondeo,Focus even a Fiesta drives great.This cars are engineered in UK and Brits know thing or two about handling.Pre Focus cars where disaster except Cosworth cars.VAG does have edge in engines though.

We will see how that will go now when they departed with Mazda!

#3391321 - 06/07/14 08:25 AM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: edyvw]
chrisri Offline

I hope you are wrong.Quite like the way they drive,a true working class driver car.Pozdrav Edy buba!

#3394861 - 06/11/14 02:23 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: edyvw]
badtlc Offline

The current models have no connection to Mazda.

#3394863 - 06/11/14 02:24 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: chrisri]
badtlc Offline

You are correct and the US models now days are the same as what europe gets. It will take a while before the general population realizes the differences in the new Fords.

#3394945 - 06/11/14 04:07 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: badtlc]
chrisri Offline

A bit of topic but my good friend drives Graham Goode Focus St 2.5 Volvo engine and that thing is monster.Effortless speed of that thig is amazing on road and on track.Mk 5 and 6 Golf GTI are joke compared to Ford.Only fwd that may be faster is Renaultsport Megane 265.

#3402242 - 06/20/14 12:51 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: Mathson]
tommygunn Offline

Loc: usa
That's why you buy a Dodge Dart instead of some motorized sauerkraut bowl.

#3402253 - 06/20/14 01:11 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: Mathson]
Mykl Offline

Loc: Texas
As a counter to the negativity, a positive review...

My 80k mile (129k km) GTI hasn't given me any issues. I have spent $0 in repairs over the four years and nine months of ownership.

#3402516 - 06/20/14 08:15 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: tommygunn]
edyvw Offline

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
That's why you buy a Dodge Dart instead of some motorized sauerkraut bowl.

This is post of the year!
Or you want to say: That is why you buy FIAT Bravo which is sold in the U.S. as Dodge Dart?

#3402518 - 06/20/14 08:16 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: Mykl]
edyvw Offline

Originally Posted By: Mykl
As a counter to the negativity, a positive review...

My 80k mile (129k km) GTI hasn't given me any issues. I have spent $0 in repairs over the four years and nine months of ownership.

I have 2010 CC with 2.0T never had ANY issues.
I used GC, M1 0W40, Castrol 5W40 (I got it when bought car) and now M1 5W30 ESP.
Engine did not burn drop of any of those oils, and I do drive very hard.

#3425664 - 07/15/14 03:51 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: Garak]
dgcamero Offline

Loc: Barbecue, NC
Originally Posted By: Garak
Maybe the owners manual doesn't mention 'cool-down' because it's obvious? I knew about the need to let a turbo cool down before switching the engine off before I even started my driving lessons..some things are just obvious (IMO!) like checking tyre pressures and fluid levels and bulbs each week.

Good question. It should be obvious, and regardless of the cooling system, I would still give the thing an opportunity to cool down, just because that's what I've always done. Maybe VW/Audi just thinks it's too much of a hassle for customers and will turn them away from their turbo offerings.

On the 2.0T FSI engine, there is a built in turbo timer of sorts...it runs the coolant in reverse with an electric water pump to allow the turbo to cool down if it is too hot. I seriously doubt they would have dropped this from the newer models.

#3425726 - 07/15/14 05:04 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: dgcamero]
Garak Online   content

Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
My Audi 200 had exactly that system. It also had fans to cool the injectors after shutdown. That didn't stop me from running it for a minute, either.

2008 Infiniti G37 coupe - Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, Hastings LF113
1984 F-150 4.9L six - Quaker State GB 10w-30, Wix 51515

#3425847 - 07/15/14 07:14 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: bigjl]
redbone3 Offline

Loc: Reno, NV
VW doesn't exactly encourage people to maintain their own cars. Whenever there is a choice between a standard fastener or a uncommon one, they go for the uncommon. When you open the hood all you see is a gigantic plastic cover. You have to remove a splash guard just to change the (of course "special") oil. More trouble than they are worth in my humble opinion.

#3425870 - 07/15/14 07:38 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: redbone3]
edyvw Offline

Originally Posted By: redbone3
VW doesn't exactly encourage people to maintain their own cars. Whenever there is a choice between a standard fastener or a uncommon one, they go for the uncommon. When you open the hood all you see is a gigantic plastic cover. You have to remove a splash guard just to change the (of course "special") oil. More trouble than they are worth in my humble opinion.

Well, I always maintained my cars, and VW is very easy to maintain.
Long story short, they did not bankrupt like some companies, and I think there is a reason for that.
When it comes to "special" oil, it is not special, it is just thicker (generally better) then what you have to use in Stratus for example (which is not some reference).
Splash guard is very useful, not because it prevents water, but small rocks damaging wiring, hoses etc.
Standard or uncommon fastener. Well considering that almost all innovation in auto technology comes from Europe, I would say they are doing something right.

#3426132 - 07/16/14 03:00 AM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: Mathson]
riggaz Offline

Loc: England
They want to sell you another car so for them, they've designed it perfectly wink

There are many things that can wear a turbo excessively, I suspect most of the wear took place due to the driver not being gentle on it on the warm up phase and being on the wrong service plan for it's use.

Longlife servicing is for gentle, low load, long distance driving according to the VW website, if you use the car for spirited driving, short journeys or towing then fixed interval servicing is the plan you should be on.

This of course is not explained by the cretin salesman who just wants his commission.

#3430416 - 07/20/14 05:31 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: edyvw]
bigjl Offline

Loc: London, England

I hate to point out that it was Mazda getting input and borrowing platforms from Ford not the other way round really.

Mazda are minority player in the UK.

New 6 looks nice enough but not cheap for what it is.

The fact is many high mileage drivers that use a car for work have moved over to Ford products and strangely Skodas which seem to suffer from less issues than VW despite sharing platforms, perhaps the difference is the fact they tend to get new tech a year or so later than VW.

There is no excuse for 2.0tdi sumps cracking in normal use or under engineered oil pumps in this day and age.

And i ran a garage back in the early 90's and we did very well out of "bulletproof" VWs thank you very much.

I haven't even mentioned suspension bushes on Passats and Golfs yet.

#3430446 - 07/20/14 05:56 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: bigjl]
edyvw Offline

I hate to point out that it was Mazda getting input and borrowing platforms from Ford not the other way round really.

The fact is many high mileage drivers that use a car for work have moved over to Ford products and strangely Skodas which seem to suffer from less issues than VW despite sharing platforms, perhaps the difference is the fact they tend to get new tech a year or so later than VW.

There is no excuse for 2.0tdi sumps cracking in normal use or under engineered oil pumps in this day and age.

And i ran a garage back in the early 90's and we did very well out of "bulletproof" VWs thank you very much.

2.0tdi PD is one of the worst engines that have been produced by VW. Why they produced 2.0tdi PD I have no idea, when 1.9tdi PD proved to have been able to deliver outstanding power even with 8V head.
As far as 90's. we drove VW diesels during Bosnian war bcs they could run on oil that cools electrical stations. Opel and Ford not only that they could not run on the oil, but bcs of the rusting, we were scared to take them off the road, which we usually had to.
So please, Ford made huge leap forward in recent years, but 90's?

#3430879 - 07/21/14 07:28 AM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: bigjl]
badtlc Offline

Mazda got the tribute and the truck from ford. That was it. The fusion was a Mazda6 when ford got it. Mazda engineered Ford's 4-cyl duratec lineup. You are quite wrong about Mazda/ford relationship. WHEN they were working together, Ford provided the money and facilities and Mazda provided the engineering.

#3430901 - 07/21/14 07:56 AM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: badtlc]
chrisri Offline

Whole Mazda range is based upon different Ford chassis. Duratec/ zetec engine was developt by Yamaha.

#3431108 - 07/21/14 12:44 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: chrisri]
badtlc Offline

Whole Mazda range is based upon different Ford chassis. Duratec/ zetec engine was developt by Yamaha.

Nope. Ford's CD3 platform is based on Mazda's G series. That is a Mazda designed chassis that is used in several Ford vehicles. I believe the CX-7 also has its own Mazda chassis along with the Miata.

Not that it matters because Mazda doesn't use Ford for any current chassis other than possibly the Mazda5 and the CX-9, but both of those could be made by Mazda in next model year.

And the 4 cylinder duratecs since 2003 have been Mazda engineered/designed MZR engines, not Ford, yamaha or whoever: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_MZR_engine

Edited by badtlc (07/21/14 12:46 PM)

#3431195 - 07/21/14 02:09 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: badtlc]
chrisri Offline

Zetec engine was developt by Yamaha in the 90s. Both mk1 and mk2 Euro Focus have Ford chassis c170 i c1. I'm not familiar with NA models so there might be difference though.

Edited by chrisri (07/21/14 02:16 PM)

#3431306 - 07/21/14 03:48 PM Re: Golf VII TSI / Turbo worn out at 60 000km [Re: chrisri]
badtlc Offline

Zetec engine was developt by Yamaha in the 90s. Both mk1 and mk2 Euro Focus have Ford chassis c170 i c1. I'm not familiar with NA models so there might be difference though.

that is why we are talking duratec, not zetec.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >