Pressure Washer Pump: How much oil? No sight glass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a BE pressure washer with a Honda GC 160 engine mated to a BE RX710 pump, of which I could not find much information on. There is no sight glass on the pump, so my question is...how much oil do you typically fill these pumps with? Is there any problem with overfilling them slightly? Since non-detergent oils are to be used, I figure that shouldn't cause any aeration problems.

Thoughts?

contact manufacturer and ask for oil capacity. Make sure you drain it fully before replacing.

There should be a flat round site glass on the side of the pump. The center should have a dot to show you fill to that point.

if that is a cheaper pump like i have (faip) one season wonder. i use nothing but briggs and stratton synthetic pump oil in it from lowes with excellent results.

Mine is a BE pwr washer with Honda GC-135 with comet pump on it.

I use SAE30 on the pump and change it out @ the end of every season.

Q.

I would see if you can look up on the pump manufacturers website for advice. I know AR does not recommend doing anything with the pump oil unless the pump is rebuilt.

If you have a no name pump (typical on big box store pressure washers) time is not on your side. Its a 50 hour pump.

I was more curious if these axial type pumps can handle oil over filling as I see there is a relief vent on the oil cap.

As mentioned above, this is a BE RX710 pump with NO INFO from the manufacturer and NO oil sight glass. However, from BE Pressure's website I see that they make similar models of this pressure washer (psi, flow rating, same engine) mated to the following similar pumps:
Axial Comet BXD2528G Pump
Axial AR RMV 25G30D Pump

Using the AR pump as a reference, I found that the manufacturer specs 2.2 oz of oil, which is 65 mL. I then called BE and asked about how much oil is recommended, they said 125 mL. When I poured out all the oil in the pump and measured it, I saw maybe 80 mL or so of oil.

So I'll just fill it with 125 mL. I'm just surprised that even at 125 mL of oil, that barely covers the top of the internals of the pump.

No idea on the quality of this pump, so anything I can do to extend the longevity is good in my opinion.

Last edited:
oil pump gears "chrun" and spatters oil all over the place inside the pump gearing housing, so there's not need to completely submerge your gear(the visable part) with oil to the brim in order to keep it working.

Just like differential gears, M/T gearboxes, etc. the whole gearing mechanism is not fully submerged in gear oil.

So, if your manufacturer recommends 125ml (when empty), and you put in 125ml, then you are good to go.

No need to nitpick on the subject, IMHO.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would see if you can look up on the pump manufacturers website for advice. I know AR does not recommend doing anything with the pump oil unless the pump is rebuilt.

If you have a no name pump (typical on big box store pressure washers) time is not on your side. Its a 50 hour pump.

yep, thats basically what mine is. however the synthetic oil does do wonders for making them last double to triple the 50 hours. well, double anyway...

Last edited:
I would be curious to hear if most pump failures are attributed to lubrication, such that better oil could improve run times, or whether it is due to other factors like metallurgy/design. Assuming the pump is being operated and serviced correctly of course.

Bottomline: you get what you pay for, period.

a 300bux gas pressure washer pump will only get you this far; anything beyond you must pay up (to get brass bodied pumps like Comet, etc.)

syn or no syn: those cheeply made pumps will die far sooner than you think.

My BE washer with Comet pump is now on it's 16'th year of service, year after year I spent approx 35hrs to 50hrs washing houses (yeah, parent's, in-law's, mine, etc.) and only runs of cheep ST 30wt oil.

Also: still on it's original Honda GC135 OPE....I just put whatever multivisc motor oil that I have left over from car oil change in it.

Q.

The main issue Ive "read" about on the BE pumps are lack of service parts, some corrosion? China metal rusting on them,{Imagine that}.
BE offers the lowend units with AR pumps so I chose it over the BE line since they are proven. Thats what guys are replacing them with too.
Im not now nor will I ever get the erge to wash everyone in my families houses or houses in my hood so the cheap BE has served me very well so no need for the comet or I would of bought a comet myself. Great pumps! Its like moving furniture in my truck, I tell them all "NO!" but a few get through ..lol
I just didnt trust the BE pumps after reading around and being new to market then, some of the worst past products are todays best. I guess we'll see???
My son has my last unit {craftsman-AR} still goin after 10yrs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back