Rear muffler delete, a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a pretty good pic ARCO. Sorry to mix your thread into a Subaru mess 19!

exhaust.jpg

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: JTK
This depends on the specific make/model vehicle and the drivetrain it has.

Removing the rear muffler if pretty common on late model Subaru Imprezas. You get a little more boxer burble without it. Basically a slight sound increase is it. Some owners who did this mod with the CVT trans didn't like the drone noise, where 5spd owners reported little/no drone.

I don't understand the appeal This engine ( EJ) with a loud exhaust sound like a sixer with two bad plug wires - absolutely horrendous.

I can't agree with that as I've heard a 6 misfire...

It has more to do with the actual engine itself and it's firing order than anything else.

Equal length headers had more to do with making it feel like a Toyota because of the uneven exhaust pulses at idle. You can feel it a good amount of the time almost like the engine isn't firing properly when really it is just the exhaust pulses.

I will say it certainly isn't for everyone. I actually enjoy it but not stupidly loud like a lot of the kiddies run. Just enough to know it's there.

Even more fun watching them try and race at a light...then get pulled over. They hear the exhaust and think LOL this guy put an exhaust on a Forester! I'll show him!

I just accelerate normally and watch the pretty lights.

Originally Posted By: Olas
There is no specific volume in the UK for an exhaust to comply with, the only rule we have is a yearly roadworthiness inspection.

In relation to the exhaust, thew wording is;

Requirements
Complete, secure, without serious leaks and silences effectively.

Test procedure

The exhaust system must be free from serious leaks or advanced corrosion. The entire system must be securely fixed to the vehicle as intended either by using exhaust mounts or the common rubber fitting mounts. The exhaust system must have the required number of silencers for your specific make and model of car. Your vehicle may fail the MOT due to noise levels if deemed to be excessive by the MOT inspector.

So, as you can see, the volume of the exhaust must not be 'excessive'.
The MOT tester who likes the sound of triple DCOE's will have a very different perception of 'excessive' as compared to the meek MOT tester who talks as quietly as a mouse and only listens to quiet classical music.
( It pays to be friends with your tester in this country
wink.gif
)

sorry, i was thinking of an IVA, not the standard MOT...my apologies. been too long since I'd seen that particular "wheeler dealers"(Series 9, episode 8 "Gardener Douglass Cobra") and got things switched around in my head.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_vehicle_approval
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/individual-vehicle-approval

The resonator will be left in place Jim as like you say they do serve a perpose to stop certain rpms resonating. In fact even the sports systems I was looking at still have a resonator just no mufflers. Mine will still have the resonator and a small muffler so won't be too loud but will unlock a rumble!

As for the off topic post about Subarus etc don't worry I find it all interesting :p

Just took the rear muffler off as it was rusted completely off anyway but was just hanging there on the rubber mounts.
It doesn't sound much different, definitely not loud by any means but has a very deep rumble which I'm happy with.
The new pipe will have the same sound hopefully but coming out the back instead of under the rear bumper haha Doesn't feel any different performance wise which is good

Originally Posted By: JTK
Here's a pretty good pic ARCO. Sorry to mix your thread into a Subaru mess 19!

exhaust.jpg

The EK looks better - and near equal length in this illustration - though hard to tell. I sore my 09 forester was 2 into 1 on ea. bank. Hard to tell with tons of heat shielding - had to get a filter cap wrench on a 3/8 extension to take the filter down through the "hole" in the heat shield wrapping the cats and pipes. The Filter being topside on the FB is easier - though the cup shaped flange collets dirt that can migrate into the engine if you don't exercise due care
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: gregoron
Won't this fail any state safety inspection?

if it's truly a safety inspection, it shouldn't, as the only thing the Muffler does, is quiet, or "Muffle" the sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back