Taurus or Rossi Owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had 2 Taurus 38 revolvers and they were great for limited range time. I looked at
a brand new Rossi in .357 and at $319 I figured if I only shot 38's in a steel gun it
wouldn't be too much recoil. Opinions? Thanks

A friend bought a Rossi new in 44 mag. He didn't look close enough in the store and wound up having to send it back to Rossi to have some obvious defect with the barrel fixed. They decided to replace the gun after a long wait. The replacement gun had some other issue. He had gotten it so cheap he decided to sell it. So look closely before you buy.

Always handle the exact gun you are going to buy if at all possible. Depending on barrel length, a full steel wheelgun with 38 specials in it can kick about like a 22lr. I have a 1872 Open Top Colt repo and a Ruger Security six. Both are long barrels (7 1/2 and 6 inches) and all are a breeze to shoot with 38's in them. Great combo to hone your revolver skills.

I have a Taurus .357 revolver. I would NOT purchase another. It came (from the factory) with two minor defects; one defect in the rifling (which I did not notice for a long time), and the other being slightly sub-optimal cylinder timing (which I did not consider a problem until the cylinder lockup started loosening). I'm guessing I've probably put somewhere between 500 and 1,000 rounds through it, some .357 and some .38... It still shoots fine but is not as accurate as it could be (defective rifling), and not as reliable as it should be (I had some off-center primer strikes last time out. It always goes bang but it seems to be getting worse). That said, I will never take this firearm to the range again - the way I figure, there may only be another 50-100 rounds left in her before she becomes unreliable, and I'd rather save those rounds for when I might really need them.

True, Taurus offers a lifetime warranty, and I could send it back anytime - but you have to ship the firearm to Taurus, overnight, at a cost of about $75-$80. Then you have to wait for them to fix it. Then you have to be at home to sign for it when it comes back. Pretty big hassle, when I could have just spent an extra $100 or $150 on a better revolver.

My theory on Taurus/Rossi revolvers is this: If you're looking for a nightstand gun that will be fired only a few dozen times then put away until (God forbid) you have to use it to save your life - Taurus/Rossi revolvers fit the bill. But if you're looking for a range gun, or if you like to practice and plan to put several hundred rounds per year through it - buy a Smith or Ruger.

Last edited:
In my observation, the older stuff was made better. I gave my mother in law one of my spare revolvers, a 25 plus year old Taurus, and the quality is on par with Ruger or Smith and Wesson. Great machining, great timing, overall a great budget gun. New stuff I haven't been too fond of.

I would look for a trade in Smith 64 or 65 before going to a Taurus. They can be found in the $250-$300 range usually.

Any 6-8" steel frame shooting regular .38 will have minimal recoil. I have never fired a regular Taurus revolver. The only Taurus I own is a Raging Judge Ultra-lite (Scandium alloy) with a 3" barrel. It is a hand cannon.

I have always great luck shooting older S&W 6 and 8" revolvers accurately. fyi I've had issues with the brass getting stuck the newer 7 round S&W's, and I'm not the only one.

Originally Posted By: bobbob
I've had 2 Taurus 38 revolvers and they were great for limited range time. I looked at
a brand new Rossi in .357 and at $319 I figured if I only shot 38's in a steel gun it
wouldn't be too much recoil. Opinions? Thanks

Friend has a 357 Rossi in a 4" barrel. Accurate for sure and fun to shoot. I liked it better than my SP101 and that's saying a lot. Go for it.

I have a 2" Taurus .22 Mag, Taurus 1911, Taurus 4" .44 Mag, and a Rossi 6" .357 Mag....I don't have any issues with any of them. All of them have many, many rounds through them.

My Taurus guns have always ran like a top. My only complaint on my PT92 is that it shoots low. I could fix that with the addition of an adjustable rear sight.

I forgot one of mine....Rossi Ranch Hand .357 Mag. Received as a gift and is more for looking at than practical use but it IS an awful lot of fun to lever off a tube or two!

I like all Taurus and Rossi firearms and any manufacturer will turn out a lemon from time to time. My M29 has made two trips back to S&W.

I've had 2 Taurus' and love them both!! My concealed carry piece is a PT140 .40 cal, shoots as good or better than my fellow friends XDM or my fathers Kimber.

My father has both the Pt140 and PT145 and loves them both, hey even says they shoot as good or better than his Ruger, Kimber or Smith M&P. Years ago they had a bad rep but not in the last 10 years or so, Now they are made from Beretta tooling and great warranty!

Originally Posted By: HM12460
One Taurus was one too many. Never again.

That was my experience with Taurus too. Never again.

I read all the comments about how Taurus quality is better, how warranty service is better, blah blah blah. It's a load of garbage. They still make junk and they still take months to return the gun to you. And half the time the gun they return doesn't work right.

I will not tolerate unreliable guns. My guns are either for fun or personal defense. An unreliable gun in the PD role can get me or a loved one killed. An unreliable gun used for recreation will spoil an afternoon at the range, and I don't have many of those these days.

If you want an inexpensive revolver, get a used Ruger or S&W. There are some bargains on Gunbroker if you're patient. Every so often some of the liquidators will have used S&Ws for good prices, mainly retired K-frames.

Im a snub nose Rossi .357 owner, i no longer CC it however its one of many pistals hidden within arms reach around my home.. Great inexpensive gun, and yes i load mine with .38 all the time.. no biggie.. that said the recoil with .357 is substantial with mine. after 4-5 rounds my palm is already feeling it..

Seems like Rossi/Taurus are hit and miss; even today. If you have a FEW more dollars, I'd always recommend a Ruger GP-100 over any other revolver. It is well known as a tank of handguns, and if you bother to watch a youtube video or two, you can install a Wolf spring kit to make the trigger pull much more manageable. If you want to do more, it isn't that difficult to polish some internal parts to make things even smoother.

Originally Posted By: strat81
Originally Posted By: HM12460
One Taurus was one too many. Never again.

That was my experience with Taurus too. Never again.

I read all the comments about how Taurus quality is better, how warranty service is better, blah blah blah. It's a load of garbage. They still make junk and they still take months to return the gun to you. And half the time the gun they return doesn't work right.

I will not tolerate unreliable guns. My guns are either for fun or personal defense. An unreliable gun in the PD role can get me or a loved one killed. An unreliable gun used for recreation will spoil an afternoon at the range, and I don't have many of those these days.

If you want an inexpensive revolver, get a used Ruger or S&W. There are some bargains on Gunbroker if you're patient. Every so often some of the liquidators will have used S&Ws for good prices, mainly retired K-frames.

My only experience with Taurus was warranty work on a .22 rifle, never again. It wasn't that the rifle had an issue, it was the condition of the rifle when I got it back. It appeared to have been thrown on a pile with others thrown on top of it.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Always handle the exact gun you are going to buy if at all possible. Depending on barrel length, a full steel wheelgun with 38 specials in it can kick about like a 22lr. I have a 1872 Open Top Colt repo and a Ruger Security six. Both are long barrels (7 1/2 and 6 inches) and all are a breeze to shoot with 38's in them. Great combo to hone your revolver skills.

I also have a Security Six, stainless 4 inch barrel. It kicks a lot more than a 22LR, but what a great gun. Usually shoot 38's but sometimes 357, the difference is substantial.

I had a Taurus .38 Special that developed problems but Taurus fixed via their lifetime guarantee.

It did take 9 months to get it fixed, but it got fixed.

No experiences with Rossi's yet.

I prefer Ruger's or S&W's when it come to handguns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back