Timing Belt Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 97 Integra LS
I was looking to buy a timing belt kit and first was going to buy from Advanced Auto Parts but then started to do some research. I found a really cheap full packaged timing belt kit: Timing Belt Kit
They are not only cheap but include more parts than any other kit. They claim to use OE high quality parts but I havent heard any reviews from people who have used this kit and are still using it. I was gonna go OEM but I also need the drivebelts and the OEM water pump and t-belt alone will be around $130 without seals. I saw a gates T-belt kit w/ water pump for $70 but no seals or other parts.

I did my research and searched topics

Just wanted to know if anyone had any takes or experieces with the ProParts USA timing belt kit??? Thanks

More info from their website

Featured Product Brands:
Timing Belt Bando, Contitech, Mitsuboshi, Flennor
Tensioner GMB, Koyo, NTN
Water Pump NPW, GMB, Aisin, Paraut
Drive Belts Bando, Contitech

Services Vehicles:
Make: Acura
Model: Integra GS, LS, RS
Years: 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001
Engine: 4 Cylinder, 1.8L, B18B1
Notes: (will not service GS-R models)

If you don't want any unexpected(unanticipated) "surprises", always go for OEM parts:

factory Honda timing belt tensioner, factory or OE equivalent timing belt; water pump: either factory OE honda, GMB or Nissin.

Q.

OEM ONLY on the water pump. For the rest of the kit I had good luck with Gates, but I used to buy my stuff from Majestic Honda online and would often save money even compared to aftermarket.

I installed a GMB pump from NAPA one time (for convenience) and had to replace it due to a failed bearing/leaky seal after only sixteen months. So, OEM only!

This was on a 1989 Accord LXi, by the way.

Go with an Aisin kit (Japanese-made water pump and OEM quality parts)

I have, and am dreading to install the following:

2000 HONDA CIVIC 1.6L L4 SOHC
AISIN TKH005 Timing Belt Component Kit $ 78.79
FEL-PRO VS50500R Valve Cover Gasket $ 10.43
GATES 22323 Radiator Lower Hose $ 10.11
GATES 21404 Radiator Upper Hose $ 7.10
GATES K040332 Belt $ 11.33
GATES K040315 Belt $ 13.18
GATES K040325 Belt $ 11.41
Discount $ -7.28
Shipping Ground $ 11.28
Order Total $ 149.57

Rockauto - search for a 5% discount code also. More background info on parts/brands: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3376373/1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quest
If you don't want any unexpected(unanticipated) "surprises", always go for OEM parts:

factory Honda timing belt tensioner, factory or OE equivalent timing belt; water pump: either factory OE honda, GMB or Nissin.

Q.

a lot of those are OEM MFGs. KOYO, MPW, AISIN, BANDO though

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Go with an Aisin kit (Japanese-made water pump and OEM quality parts)

I have, and am dreading to install the following:

2000 HONDA CIVIC 1.6L L4 SOHC
AISIN TKH005 Timing Belt Component Kit $ 78.79
FEL-PRO VS50500R Valve Cover Gasket $ 10.43
GATES 22323 Radiator Lower Hose $ 10.11
GATES 21404 Radiator Upper Hose $ 7.10
GATES K040332 Belt $ 11.33
GATES K040315 Belt $ 13.18
GATES K040325 Belt $ 11.41
Discount $ -7.28
Shipping Ground $ 11.28
Order Total $ 149.57

Rockauto - search for a 5% discount code also. More background info on parts/brands: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3376373/1

Just checked the catalog on their site and they dont have one for integras
frown.gif

GMB makes quality products despite the snobs who say OEM only. The only thing I would avoid is product that you absolutely cannot identify. I have bought several kits from ebay with no issues at all. with that in mind, if you want absolutely no question of reliability and money isnt an object, i recommend mitsubshi belts, OEM tensioners, and aisin water pumps. good luck.

Gates timing belt & tensioner, OEM Honda/Acura water pump, as close to OEM as cheap as possible I think, if and when I will do that I will not be changing water pump and timing belt for another 200k.

Honda over recommends maintenance, from my experience because not until about a year and a half ago I didn't know of any maintenance or performed any like this and I put on about 500,000 miles on my Honda Civic's without ever having an issue.

Last edited:
Asin water pumps were having difficulties on Toyotas, from forum posts here, so I decided to give simple OEM water pumps a shot, they are Japanese made. And obviously very reliable as there are many many cars out there that are probably more than even 200k without ever having a water pump changed.

I would have gone with asin waterpumps since their Japanese made but some issues I read about here took me away from them.

What? Where did you see that? For both my Toyotas the OEM pump is made by Aisin. When you buy the Aisin pump it has the Toyota logo ground off the casting.

Please post some links to threads about bad Aisin pumps if you know them.

From what I have seen, Aisin water pumps are the best there are. I even used one on my Honda when it wasn't OEM.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Asin water pumps were having difficulties on Toyotas, from forum posts here, so I decided to give simple OEM water pumps a shot, they are Japanese made. And obviously very reliable as there are many many cars out there that are probably more than even 200k without ever having a water pump changed.

I would have gone with asin waterpumps since their Japanese made but some issues I read about here took me away from them.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
What? Where did you see that? For both my Toyotas the OEM pump is made by Aisin. When you buy the Aisin pump it has the Toyota logo ground off the casting.

Please post some links to threads about bad Aisin pumps if you know them.

From what I have seen, Aisin water pumps are the best there are. I even used one on my Honda when it wasn't OEM.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt

+1, Aisin pumps are OEM on Toyota's. As good as it gets!

I put an Aisin water pump on my Nissan. Made in Japan and working great. I would not hesitate to put Aisin parts on any Asian vehicle.

To the OP:
As noted, timing belts parts are not a place to skimp on cost.

Having said that, I wouldn't have a problem ordering one of those kits if it was guaranteed I'd be getting quality parts like a Koyo idler and Aisin pump. Since they name a number of brands, my only concern is that it would show up with a brand not on the list.

I cannot comment on the validity of a statement made to me by a Honda parts department guy in the 90's. He claimed that Honda's bearing/seal design was proprietary. My pulley was slightly out of true, which is what I think led to the failure of the GMB pump. The OEM pump had no difficulty going the full 90,000 miles before I changed it again with the next timing belt. I went ahead and replaced the pulley with a new one at that time, just to be safe. But, honestly, who wants to mess around? On hondaautomitiveparts.com I paid the same as I would have paid for an aftermarket pump.

Seems like a lot of rationalization going on here not to buy the OEM part.

Bando, Mitsuboshi, GMB, Koyo, NTN
GMB, Aisin, Bando, Contitech

All good parts, don't know about the rest. Sounds like a good kit you've found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back