Kerosene as motor fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old Car Craft (I think, I can't find it at the moment) annual, which talks about the new 1969 engines. Mixed in amongst the fire-breathing monsters is an article about the Willys Hurricane 4-cyl. The article states that this since this engine was designed for military use, it had 6.5:1 compression to deal with varying fuel quality. They also said that because of this low compression ratio, kerosene could be used. Would that actually work?

That's not uncommon on old tractors, for them to run on kerosene or gas.

Kerosene must result in dirtier oil, on Farmall's the decals call for more frequent changes or kerosene.

I believe during WWII and gasoline rationing people did resort to running kerosene, as it was available. I think it almost ran "ok" in the lower compression cars back then, although I think they had to start using gasoline.

There was a thread in the OPE forum a little while back about running kerosene in old flathead Briggs engines. Apparently you could use 2 head gaskets and that would lower compression enough for kerosene to work.

I know that the US military spec ops have a special dirt bike that can take kerosene, gasoline and, I think, diesel... Made for various environments.

Another bit of information is that back in the early days of the petroleum industry, kerosene back then was as to gasoline is today.

In fact, they saw gasoline as a waste product and often dumped the stuff when processing oil for kerosene.

Originally Posted By: supton
I believe during WWII and gasoline rationing people did resort to running kerosene, ...

My grandfather owned a dry cleaning store during the time period. He had health issues, so ended up working in an aircraft factory. He used benzene (dry cleaning fluid) as a gasoline adjunct during that time. I don't guess people at the time were cognizant nor concerned about engine deposits or oil condition.

Originally Posted By: Ed_T
Does anyone know why some Shell stations sell kero at the pump? We got it in our area, just curious.

Around here, people use kerosene in heaters. A lot of gas stations sell it.

Dad had an old tractor that ran on kerosene. It had two fuel tanks. A small 1-2 gallon gas tank, and a larger kerosene main tank. Engine was started with gasoline, then a valve was switched to feed it kerosene after it warmed up a few minutes. If you remembered to, it was also switched back to gasoline before shutting down to make sure gasoline was in the carb when it was started again. Messing around with hand crank started tractors was a PITA.

Last edited:
My father knew a guy who built an adapter to run kerosene in a very old car. The engine would start on gasoline, but kerosene was only used when the engine was at full operating temperature.

At one point, this system failed. It shot a spark plug out the cylinder head. The owner of that car rethreaded the cylinder head, and installed an oversized spark plug. After this, he repaired his kerosense to gasoline device.

Originally Posted By: supton
I believe during WWII and gasoline rationing people did resort to running kerosene, as it was available. I think it almost ran "ok" in the lower compression cars back then, although I think they had to start using gasoline.

+1, I remember my father telling stories of running kerosene during WW2 due to fuel rationing, he said it ran ok, but smoked ALOT.

The multi fuel deuces I was around in the Army in the early 70's were generally AM General or Osh Kosh engines. Sure there were probably other varieties as well.

Some will dump a little K1 in the tanks of commercial trucks in extreme cold if they cannot get some D1, all while also throwing in some anti-gel. Thins out the mix a little to prevent fuel gelling. Problem is, it is not very cost effective as K1 and D1 are less efficient fuels in a heavy commercial truck. And it is a pretty dry fuel.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
My grandfather owned a dry cleaning store during the time period. He had health issues, so ended up working in an aircraft factory. He used benzene (dry cleaning fluid) as a gasoline adjunct during that time. I don't guess people at the time were cognizant nor concerned about engine deposits or oil condition.

My Grandad ran his vehicles on wood gas (aka carbon monoxide, hydrogen and dirt)...deposits ?? oil condition ??

Even into the 70s, when I was a kid, he had a footlocker of old sparkplugs, a garage wall of second hand head and manifold gaskets...just in case hard times struck again, and the used stuff was better than what he was running.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
That's not uncommon on old tractors, for them to run on kerosene or gas.

Kerosene must result in dirtier oil, on Farmall's the decals call for more frequent changes or kerosene.

I remember a decal or stamping on the fuel cap of our Farmall that said "Buy Clean Fuel. Keep It Clean." At least one of the three we had could run on kerosene, but we always used gas. Those were "old tractors" by the time I learned to drive one.

Originally Posted By: accent2012
I know that the US military spec ops have a special dirt bike that can take kerosene, gasoline and, I think, diesel... Made for various environments.

Another bit of information is that back in the early days of the petroleum industry, kerosene back then was as to gasoline is today.

In fact, they saw gasoline as a waste product and often dumped the stuff when processing oil for kerosene.

Many of the old 2.5 and 5-ton 6x6 trucks had Continental multi-fuel engines...they were diesels, but could run on any mix of that, kerosene, used oil, and up to (IIRC) 30% gasoline.

Originally Posted By: Ed_T
Does anyone know why some Shell stations sell kero at the pump? We got it in our area, just curious.

Heaters, maybe? A couple places up here sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back