Ford EcoBoost Challenge 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's back! Register here:

http://ecoboostdrive.com/

Free opportunity to drive several EcoBoost cars against their competitors: Escape, Fusion, and F-150. They'll also have the C-Max and Focus ST/Fiesta ST.

If you'll recall, Hokiefyd and I did it last year and enjoyed it. No pushy sales guys, just a chance to drive the cars and learn more about them:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3049584

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3104433

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
I'm disappointed that again, Ford did not schedule any stops in Detroit. You think they would.

I know, it makes you think they only chose places where the Marketing Department thought they were under-performing in sales.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Don't want an Eco-Boost anything under my hood! I'll pass thank you!
... Agreed, I tend to NOT like the turbo-lag effects, and I actually prefer GM's approach where they often forego turbos in favor of just adding Direct Injection DI, as in their latest GM Silverado/GMC half ton pickups with the 5.3L DI V8 with AFM (Active Fuel Management) which shuts down 2 or 4 of the cylinders to save gas, resulting in beating the F150 Ecoboost V6 in fuel economy while almost equaling it in power. Who wants all those highly stressed bearings and hot turbos when straight DI and AFM gets it done?

Nothing near me
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: FetchFar
Originally Posted By: Klutch9
I'm disappointed that again, Ford did not schedule any stops in Detroit. You think they would.

I know, it makes you think they only chose places where the Marketing Department thought they were under-performing in sales.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Don't want an Eco-Boost anything under my hood! I'll pass thank you!
... Agreed, I tend to NOT like the turbo-lag effects, and I actually prefer GM's approach where they often forego turbos in favor of just adding Direct Injection DI, as in their latest GM Silverado/GMC half ton pickups with the 5.3L DI V8 with AFM (Active Fuel Management) which shuts down 2 or 4 of the cylinders to save gas, resulting in beating the F150 Ecoboost V6 in fuel economy while almost equaling it in power. Who wants all those highly stressed bearings and hot turbos when straight DI and AFM gets it done?

I've put a decent amount of miles on a 2.0 Ecoboost and there's no noticeable turbo lag.

Thing I don't get about the Ecoboost is how they get worse MPG, when they are supposed to put high-tech, highly-stressed, hot turbos to work getting better MPG. Case in point, http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?a...47&id=34087
in that comparison, you'll see how a 1.5L, small Ecoboost 4-cylinder in a Fusion fails to get as high of fuel economy as bigger displacement non-turbo (naturally aspirated NA) engines in the Mazda6 and Altima too.

Thing I don't get about the Ecoboost is how they get worse MPG, when they are supposed to put high-tech, highly-stressed, hot turbos to work getting better MPG. Case in point, http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?a...47&id=34087
in that comparison, you'll see how a 1.5L, small Ecoboost 4-cylinder in a Fusion fails to get as high of fuel economy as bigger displacement non-turbo (naturally aspirated NA) engines in the Mazda6 and Altima too.

you mean like the fiesta EB rated at 45 MPG?

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Don't let facts get in the way of a rant.

Ford stated better FE than a V6 which it does. It comes close to the 4 cyl's fuel economy with much more linear power.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
... Fiesta weighs about 6 lbs, point is: tiny car. I compared Fusion-Mazda6-Altima, all the same weight/use class.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Ford stated better FE than a V6 which it does. It comes close to the 4 cyl's fuel economy with much more linear power.

Nope. Wrong, most of the time anyway. Case in point. Fusion 1.5L Ecoboost has 178 HP at 6000 rpm, while Mazda6 2.5L normally aspirated engine gets 184 HP at 5700 rpm .... AND .... Mazda6 beats Fusion on MPG, for comparable power as stated. Also notice Mazda6's peak poer is at a LOWER rpm than Fusion's, meaning more useable, reachable.

BTW, the 1.5L Ecoboost in the Fusion competes with bigger 4-cylinders, NOT V6's out there. If you compare fuel economy figures at comparable (close) peak power levels, Ecoboost often loses, yet the consumer is left with an overly-complex engine to maintain.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08

ooo, one more please: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?a...87&id=34346
where the Honda Accord 3.5L V6 (no-turbo) gets the same MPG as the Fusion 2.0L Ecoboost. ... Who says Ecoboost wins much of anything? Ecoboost is largely a failure.

And notice the Accord v6 has about 12% more horsepower than the Fusion Ecoboost (278 vs. 240 hp). same fuel economy, more power for Honda, ecoboost fails yet again

Last edited:

I have got 30MPG out of my parents 2.0 Ecoboost Ford. The key is to ALWAYS let it draw a vacuum. As soon as it starts building boost, it starts running pig rich.

I use the sport mode and as soon as a slight hill comes along, I make it shift to 5th or 4th gear. Then it's fine. When it's lugging along trying to pull a hill at 1500RPM in 6th gear, it is running super super rich to avoid pinging - it's pussing 7 or 8 pounds of boost. If I drop it to 5 or 4 to pull the same hill, it's running at much lower boost PSI and not running as rich.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I have got 30MPG out of my parents 2.0 Ecoboost Ford. The key is to ALWAYS let it draw a vacuum. As soon as it starts building boost, it starts running pig rich.

I use the sport mode and as soon as a slight hill comes along, I make it shift to 5th or 4th gear. Then it's fine. When it's lugging along trying to pull a hill at 1500RPM in 6th gear, it is running super super rich to avoid pinging - it's pussing 7 or 8 pounds of boost. If I drop it to 5 or 4 to pull the same hill, it's running at much lower boost PSI and not running as rich.

It can't run rich, since emissions laws (engine control software) prevent that. It can retard timing a bit to prevent detonation (pinging). Ecoboost also relies on the direct injection cooling the mixture to avoid detonation as well during lugging with high boost.

It can't run rich, since emissions laws (engine control software) prevent that. It can retard timing a bit to prevent detonation (pinging). Ecoboost also relies on the direct injection cooling the mixture to avoid detonation as well during lugging with high boost.

It's not going to dump fuel in like a carburetor on a cold morning, no. Bit it will enrichen the fuel mixture and pull timing. Have confirmed with scan tool. Put your finger on a (cold) tailpipe of one. Very sooty.

What are you talking about? Modern cars have to run rich to meet emissions requirements. You are starting to wander off the reservation with your posts.

Do you realize the Fusion weighs almost 500# more than the Mazda6? You can't look at everything in a vacuum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back