Harley Sporty 883 Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvt

Hello I just bought a used '12 Sportster 883 with 9K miles on it. Evidently these engines are durable and have two chambers for oil. Engine and transmission/chain if I'm not mistaken. I live in southern CA at lower elevation. My driving will be mostly suburban roads up to 60 MPH. Not much long sustained freeway driving or hard mountain driving. Weather can get into 90s here. Annual mileage probably less than 5K.

Suggestions for oil would be welcome. I'd prefer off the shelf from Walmart, Autozone, etc if possible but Harley dealer is fairly convenient if necessary.

Just bought it, haven't picked up the bike or the manual yet. Thought I'd do a little pre study on here tonight
smile.gif

According to the manual any multi grade 40 will meet or exceed
your mileage expectations... that means at Walmart any multi grade
10W 40 or 5W 40 or 0 W40 is in accordance with Harley's
engineering that designed the engine...

Rotella (15w-40 or t6), Delo, Delvac, would all work just fine. I also know a couple of guys who absolutely swear by Mobil 1 15W-50 in their Harley's. You didn't make it sound as though you were really going to push it so any of those Wally world oil's should do just fine in your scooter.

Sounds good. I don't ride hard anymore. The only issue is my house is at 1200 ft. and generally a tailwind up the hill in the summer. Speeds are at least 45 though.

The transmission spec is for "FORMULA+ TRANSMISSION AND PRIMARY CHAINCASE LUBRICANT" Is there an off the shelf equivalent? I'm still reading so maybe I haven't come to it yet.

Valvoline VR1 or Kendall GT1 in 20w50. UOA's show that they return some of the best wear numbers in hot running harley engines. You are in a hotter climate in SoCal, and being a 2012 it is fuel injected and if not modified, the fuel injection HD's tend to run on the lean side which means they run hotter.

In the cooler months you can run Rotella 5w40 o5 15w40.

I have a 2011 Sporty 883 which just turned 48,000 miles. I commute 85 miles a day in SoCal at freeway speeds. I have used Amsoil 20w50 since first oil change at 500 miles. Bike runs like new

Originally Posted By: qrtsteve
I have a 2011 Sporty 883 which just turned 48,000 miles. I commute 85 miles a day in SoCal at freeway speeds. I have used Amsoil 20w50 since first oil change at 500 miles. Bike runs like new

Good to hear about some serious miles.. Evidently the Evolution engine is very sturdy. What are you running in the transmission/chain area?

Originally Posted By: rvt
Originally Posted By: qrtsteve

Good to hear about some serious miles.. Evidently the Evolution engine is very sturdy. What are you running in the transmission/chain area?

The Evo engine is incredibly reliable and stout. For its displacement it is understressed at about 50hp.

Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) on the Harley Davidson SYN-3,
as filed with the Federal Government. Manufactured by Citgo
Petroleum. $8.25/qt 60/40 Synthetic Blend

Component
CAS #
Concentration

(1) 1-Decene Homopolymer, hydrogenated
68037-01-4
50% - 70%

(2) Proprietary Ingredients
Proprietary Mixture
1% - 10%

(3) Polyisobutylene
9003-27-4
1% - 10%

(4) Distillates, Petroleum, Hydrotreated Heavy Paraffinic
64742-54-7
0% - 20%

(5) Distillates, Petroleum, Solvent-Refined Heavy Paraffinic
64741-88-4
0% - 20%

(6) Zinc Alkyldithiophosphate
68649-42-3
0% - 2%

HD62600005.jpg

Last edited:
I would never have guessed that the SYN3 is primarily a PAO formulation. I wouldn't touch it just because it's made by CITGO though. But that's just me.

Good find BLS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back