Dealership Test Drive Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do dealerships have an automatic and a manual version for each test drive model ?

Say if you wanted to test drive a Camaro in both automatic and manual; would they have both cars ?

That's down to the individual dealer, as they sort of control there inventory.

Usually, and this applies to any car/dealer. If a dealer wants to advertise a REALLY low price, they keep one stripper model floating around so there legally in the clear, this USUALLY means a manual.

072310_save_the_manuals_t.jpg

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Do dealerships have an automatic and a manual version for each test drive model ?

Say if you wanted to test drive a Camaro in both automatic and manual; would they have both cars ?

Maybe- We never had cars specifically for demos. We'd typically take a customer for a test drive in a car that was easy to get out of our inventory. That's why when you buy a car from a dealers inventory some have only a few miles on then others can have as much as 50 miles or even a more.

Most dealers I've visited over the past few decades don't keep a demo fleet.
Test drives are done with the cars in normal inventory.
I would guess that you'd have a hard time finding a stick to test drive.
They've gotten that uncommon.
Dealers don't inventory what buyers won't buy.

I'd look at it from a profit perspective. If they had demo cars, those cars would rack up the miles, becoming "used" vehicles and therefore less profitable. If they spread the demo miles out over their entire inventory, they don't incur this loss.

We have bought three MT cars in the last ten years. All came right from inventory, and each was available at the dealership. Two of the three cars we ordered optioned as we wanted, but we were able to do the test from their stock.

For cars that are typically bought with a manual, a dealer will have them on the lot. Or often they have a used one with a manual. I bet though, that many Ford dealers didn't have a manual Fusion when they offered them a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back