Buick Regal on Amarillo road trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, all,

I'm back from my early summer road trip to Palo Duro Canyon, TX. The Buick Regal performed like the thoroughbred it is. The beast started every time, ran all day at 60-75 mph, and returned 29-30 mpg overall, while keeping me cool with A/C set to 72. We ran up I-10, U.S. 190, I-49, and I-20; then along US 287 paralleling the Oklahoma border to Amarillo, and down I-27 to Canyon.

There were scary moments descending and re-ascending the twisty two-lane road that goes down into the canyon proper. I happened to see a string of trucks coming down the road from the cliff top as I was leaving, and I was astonished at how steep the grade was. "I came down that???" I put the car in M3 (3rd gear of 6, via the manu-matic tranny), both descending and climbing the steepest pitches, and had no trouble with the car.

Slow? The Regal 2.4? Hardly. At one point I zoomed from 70 to 82 to pass a truck on I-20. Not only did the car handle it with ease, but I imagined it hunkering down and murmuring to itself, "Now I'll show him what I can do!" It seemed as if there was at least another 25 mph available to me.

I had to run mostly on ethanol-laced gas, though I did find two E0 stations. One was in the little US 287 town of Quanah, named for the famous Comanche chieftain. The other was right on I-40, exit 71, in Amarillo proper. I filled up there on my return trip, and saw a hair better mileage: a solid 30.5 with the A/C running.

On the way home, I gassed up at a Chevron on US 190 west of Baton Rouge. The owner of the convenience store, a Middle Eastern gentleman, took a look at the glossy dark gray Regal at the pump, and murmured, "Nice car!"

I was worried that the Regal would be a tiring car to drive, but the seats were excellent. Verdict: The Regal will handle more miles in a day than most people can!

Nice review, though many of those aspects I'd say "I'd hope so" for a car of that age and mileage. I liked the rental regal hybrid I had a year or so ago.

Need to show some pics or a map of the trip!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Nice review, though many of those aspects I'd say "I'd hope so" for a car of that age and mileage. I liked the rental regal hybrid I had a year or so ago.

Need to show some pics or a map of the trip!

True; a car at age 3-4, with only 47K on it, should be tight and trouble-free.

I have pics; need to upload them from Miss Linda's camera.

did you see any of the fires in armadillo?

I ran my Cobalt (2.2 w 5M) a solid 80 on I-10 last winter and got around 30 mpg. It does quite a bit better cruising at a more relaxed pace, sometimes over 40 mpg, but always at least around the rated 37 mpg.

I wish I could get some seats from a Regal, would probably help my back!

Quote:
On the way home, I gassed up at a Chevron on US 190 west of Baton Rouge. The owner of the convenience store, a Middle Eastern gentleman, took a look at the glossy dark gray Regal at the pump, and murmured, "Nice car!"

If you ever need fuel in the middle of a hurricane, and youre from this area, that chevron is THE place to get it.

Glad to see the car treated you right, hit any fun stops along the way?

We thank you profoundly for bringing some of that gulf coast rain to central and north Texas. We needed it! Come back tomorrow, we still need more! :p

Seriously, I read that parts of the canyon, including a couple of the camping areas, were closed due to high water last week for the first time in several years. Hope it didn't impact your trip.

When I was there, it was hot -- the temps hit close to 100 both days, unpleasant for me who has to face heat 10 months a year. But it was dry, and cool in the morning, and on my last night there it rained.

No, high water didn't affect my trip, but the engineers were getting ready for it. At several spots the road along the canyon floor, along the river, crosses high water points. The road people were building overpasses so that cars and trucks won't get stuck in a flash flood situation. So the road was one lane at those points, and controlled with, get this, red and green traffic lights!

Here's a couple of pics:

The Regal parked at Feldman's Wrong Way Diner:

A quick phone shot on the open road:

And a savage-looking fellow at a truck stop in East Texas, rather than in Baton Rouge as you'd expect:

Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat
Quote:

If you ever need fuel in the middle of a hurricane, and youre from this area, that chevron is THE place to get it.

Glad to see the car treated you right, hit any fun stops along the way?

The odd thing is that I passed that station, going the other way, as part of my exodus from Hurricane Katrina. Linda and I spent the first night sleeping (if you can call it that) on the floor of a local events center in Erwinville, right along 190, then escaped the next morning to Texas.

Originally Posted By: yannis
that Regal is a rebadged Opel insignia !!

http://www.worldcarfans.com/109101522424/opel-insignia-confirmed-for-us-as-buick-regal

We know
grin.gif

It was originally supposed to be the next gen Saturn Aura.

Re: the diesel, I know. I test-drove an '09 Mercedes E-Class diesel a couple of years ago. Not noisy or smoky like the diesels MB offered in the '80s, and with boatloads of torque. A diesel hybrid Buick, or one with start-stop as in the article, would indeed be the perfect city car.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
Sounds like a nice car!

A pleasure to drive it has been for the 5 months I've had it. One of the young professors in my office says he'll be in the market for a new car at the beginning of '15, and he's already expressed an interest in the Regal just from seeing mine. "Sporty," he said, "especially compared to that big Park Avenue you had before."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back