Mobil 1 M1-301 oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
After discussing it with the guys over on the vwvortex that are already using it, I decided to buy a Mobil 1 M1-301, oversized oil filter to use on my VW GTI 1.8T. This thing is absolutely huge & will bump my VW's oil capacity up from 4.7 qt's to approx. 5.3-5.5 qt's. I can't wait to use it with GC.

I also noticed a very interesting thing on the M1-301 filter box. It cross-references to a Motorcraft FL-1A. So, who knows...I might use a Motorcraft FL-1A on "Little Red" before it's all said & done.
smile.gif

Here are a couple of pictures of the M1-301 sitting beside an OEM size Purolator. The photo is a bit deceptive, because the gasket size is virtually identical on both filters.
 -

-

FWIW, here are all the cross-references listed on the M1-301 box:

Fram PH8A
Purolator L30001
AC PF2
Motorcraft FL-1A

The PureOne doesn't give any X-ref's on it's box.

I just got back from doing sniff tests of my GC and...whoa dude...I just noticed something...Pure One and Mobil 1...if you add those together you get two and there just happen to be two filters in the picture...whoa dude, what a coincidence...whoa......dude

Wavinwayne..

The standard filter is rated at 200-250PSI burst.

The M1-301 has a 500PSI burst rating.
You'd notice thicker metal throughout..once you cut it open.

It structurally is basically a racing version of the FL1A..
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
I just got back from doing sniff tests of my GC and...whoa dude...I just noticed something...Pure One and Mobil 1...if you add those together you get two and there just happen to be two filters in the picture...whoa dude, what a coincidence...whoa......dude

lol.gif
Totally

quote:

Originally posted by Filter guy:
Wavinwayne..

The standard filter is rated at 200-250PSI burst.

The M1-301 has a 500PSI burst rating.
You'd notice thicker metal throughout..once you cut it open.

It structurally is basically a racing version of the FL1A..
wink.gif

I can definitely tell the M1-301 is a porker. Not only is it huge, it is very heavy for an oil filter. It just feels SOLID. To me, this is a good thing.

The 500PSI burst rating doesn't hurt either.
smile.gif

I wish I would have known about the FL-1A cross-ref. earlier. I could have picked up a whole bunch of them at Wally-World a couple months back for dirt cheap.

Your better off with the artillary shell of the Mobil 1...
grin.gif

True story:
The very first filter can press that Champ ever got back in the late 50's was in fact a press that had been used to stamp out artillary shells from the US Army. It was modified to stamp out filter cans.

Champ literally built a building around the can press when they moved it in. They brought it in, then added the walls and roof over the press.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back