Using 10W30 vs 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I went to Walmart to pick up some QSUD for my OC this weekend and they were sold out. I found some old Ultra jugs on a back shelf hiding and had a lot of dust, however they were 10W30 I figure for summer use it's just fine.

Anyone think I'm crazy and should return it?

How much was the Ultra?
A 10W-30 is fine for summer use and would probably be fine all year in Texas.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
How much was the Ultra?

$21.75

Originally Posted By: zloveraz
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
How much was the Ultra?

$21.75

Buy all of it.

For my wife's 2005 4.6 Explorer I used 10W-30 Castrol Edge w/Syntec for the late Spring through Fall OCI, approx 8,500 miles. I got it for $15/ 5 qt jug plus an additional quart for $4. Too good of a deal to pass up. I ordinarily use 5W-20. Can't tell the difference in the way it functions or in any real significant mpg difference. For the Fall OCI I'll go back to 5W-20. Here in northwestern NJ it gets real cold from Nov through April.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
PU 10w30 is also the ultimate lawnmower oil to replace sae 30

If you can get it for less than the price of actual lawnmower oil.
The only negative vs lawnmower oil is that it's light on Phos'. Lawnmower oil typically has about 1,000 ppm.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
For my wife's 2005 4.6 Explorer I used 10W-30 Castrol Edge w/Syntec for the late Spring through Fall OCI, approx 8,500 miles. I got it for $15/ 5 qt jug plus an additional quart for $4. Too good of a deal to pass up. I ordinarily use 5W-20. Can't tell the difference in the way it functions or in any real significant mpg difference. For the Fall OCI I'll go back to 5W-20. Here in northwestern NJ it gets real cold from Nov through April.

Whimsey

Wow I agree you can't beat that price!

Originally Posted By: afoulk
We all joined a forum to discuss our love for motor oil and all things related... Aren't we all just a little crazy?;)

YES

50.gif

The difference between a 10w30 and a 5w30 at any temp above freezing is minimal. And some would argue that a 10w30 is the more stable, shear resistant grade.

However, try finding a new car that mentions 10w30... the grade has kind of fallen out of favour.

I still use it in any application calling for a 30 in the summer months... certainly doesn't hurt anything, and yes, sometimes you can find smokin' deals on it.

Synthetic 10W30 is obsoleted that why Costco dropped M1 10W30 few years ago and now carries only 5W20 and 5W30.

Conventional 10W30 is still usable because of more shear stable than counterpart 5W30. Yes, very few new vehicles spec'ed 10W30 conventional now a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back