MINI owns Mustangs, like a BOSS

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sound of that Mini's 4cyl sets the standard of how a 4 banger should sound- at least to my ears!

Engine tech seems to have the power difference negligible after this 50 years.

I desperstely want an s2000 powered mini.

After watching more of the video, I'd say that the Mini's rule the corners and the Mustangs (Yank Tanks by youtube comments) own the straights. Of course whoever can get through the turns quicker is likely to advance.

That is some exciting racing, whoever says 4 cyl fwd cars are all boring should watch this.
It takes some guts to huck a car sideways into a corner at those speeds and have to keep the throttle buried to balance the car out.

55 years later it is really hard to grasp the impact the BMC Mini had on motoring and Racing.

Here is some great stuff from the Goodwood revival. a real mixed bad of Galaxy 500's, Jags, Lotus Cortina's Mini's you name it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXyw9cUuRmU

The big cars keep up only while their brakes last!

The mini in that clip is a normally aspirated 1380cc 4cylinder!! 16 valves, 1 throttle per cylinder, LOTS of compression.. the guys at Kent Auto Developments (KAD) are the daddies when it comes to making fast minis. Some people prefer the bike engined Z-Cars from Leeds, but IMO they're not proper minis any more, just silhouette-racers.

Originally Posted By: Olas
The mini in that clip is a normally aspirated 1380cc 4cylinder!! 16 valves, 1 throttle per cylinder, LOTS of compression.. the guys at Kent Auto Developments (KAD) are the daddies when it comes to making fast minis. Some people prefer the bike engined Z-Cars from Leeds, but IMO they're not proper minis any more, just silhouette-racers.

Any idea what they rev to?
8k used to be the limit back in the 70's, which is plenty for a 3 bearing crank.

Originally Posted By: expat

Any idea what they rev to?
8k used to be the limit back in the 70's, which is plenty for a 3 bearing crank.

On a Std. crank, they recommend 7500rpm. forged crank/rods etc they're good for 9500. FWIW KAD won't let a car out of their workshop on standard internals if it makes more than 150bhp.

...and probably weighs what, < 1400 pounds wet, with driver??

I used to watch epic Mini/Mustang battles at Pukekohe race track as a boy in the '60's. The Mustang's would overhaul the Mini's on the back straight, then the Mini would out brake the Mustang which would chase through the corners, allllmost pass on the front straight, then on the back straight pass again. Fantastic racing.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

I don't know for certain, but you're pretty close with a guess at 1400 lbs. It's easy to bore and stroke and talk about how 'there aint no replacement for displacement' but that's the easy way out. What (some, not all) you guys don't realise is that power-to-weight ratio, specific output, chassis geometry and cornerweighting are FAR more important.
(if you dont believe me watch the video of a 1.4litre 4 cylinder beating a 6 or 7?? litre rear drive 'sports car' round a track
wink.gif

Colin Chapman of Lotus used to say that the best way to make a car go faster was to add lightness.

I don't know for certain, but you're pretty close with a guess at 1400 lbs. It's easy to bore and stroke and talk about how 'there aint no replacement for displacement' but that's the easy way out. What (some, not all) you guys don't realise is that power-to-weight ratio, specific output, chassis geometry and cornerweighting are FAR more important.
(if you dont believe me watch the video of a 1.4litre 4 cylinder beating a 6 or 7?? litre rear drive 'sports car' round a track
wink.gif

Colin Chapman of Lotus used to say that the best way to make a car go faster was to add lightness.

^^^ABSOLUTELY!
thumbsup2.gif

But I always say, "WHY not do BOTH??!!" (i.e.; stuff a built, 7 liter, 900 rwhp, naturally aspirated, C5/6R unrestricted inlet, full race monster in the middle of a current Lotus Elise, IF that is even possible.
eek.gif
lol.gif
)

^^^ABSOLUTELY!
thumbsup2.gif

But I always say, "WHY not do BOTH??!!" (i.e.; stuff a built, 7 liter, 900 rwhp, naturally aspirated, C5/6R unrestricted inlet, full race monster in the middle of a current Lotus Elise, IF that is even possible.
eek.gif
lol.gif
)

John Hennessey alread did that. It's called the Venom GT.

http://www.venomgt.com/

1244 HP in a stretched Elise.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
^^^ABSOLUTELY!
thumbsup2.gif

eek.gif
lol.gif
)

John Hennessey alread did that. It's called the Venom GT.

http://www.venomgt.com/

1244 HP in a stretched Elise.

Somehow, I never realized that was based on an Elise!
33.gif

I guess it would be impossible to do (BOTH from a handling and stability factor as well as a packaging/fit factor) in a standard wheelbase/weight, NOT stretched Elise, correct??

That same powerplant/drivetrain transplanted into a Cayman would also be cool!
19.gif
(Although the Porschephiles would shoot me for even suggesting that.
27.gif
lol.gif
)

I don't know. Does a standard Elise have a longitudinal or transverse engine installation? If it has a transverse engine, it seems like the car would have to be stretched to fit a longitudinal V8.

I did meet a guy at a track day once at Blackhawk Farms Raceway that had put a turbocharged Northstar V8 in a Fiero. He had it in a transverse installation, like the original I4 or V6 Fiero. On the day that I saw it, the car wasn't fast because he was tuning the fuel injection system. I admired his ingenuity because I had never seen a turbocharged Northstar before, much less one installed in a Fiero.

Last edited:
The Elise has a transverse I4, supercharged on the faster version.
I've been in one on a small track and it seemed powerful enough to be great fun with 220hp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back