straight 30 weight vs 10w 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
can some one tell whats better straight 30 weight vs 10w 30 i was told the 10w 30 breaks down faster , please school me

thanks

It really depends upon the application but a straight 30w tends to shear less than a 10w-30 due to no VI improvers.

That's partly why it's recommended by Briggs and Stratton over the 10w-30.

Breaks down faster? That's a really loaded question. SAE 30 isn't just simply SAE 30, nor is 10w-30 simply 10w-30. There are PCMO SAE 30s, HDEO SAE 30s, and non-detergent SAE 30s. When it comes to 10w-30, you'll find GF-5 PCMOs, along with HDEOs and things like Defy or VR1.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
It really depends upon the application but a straight 30w tends to shear less than a 10w-30 due to no VI improvers.

Not in my Briggs.

the difference is:eek:n a sae 30 straight motor oil ,it is tested at 150 degree ,j303 or 300 if I recall ,make sure it is tested at 150 .that is the main difference ,so the oil technicly should be more stable .in future version the 150 degree test will be added because of the need for the oil to be able to run hotter!

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: AandPDan

Not in my Briggs.

All right, USED to spec straight 30 over 10w-30.

So in all my briggs engines i use strait 30 yellow bottle is that the best oil for them or should i use something else?
They are all old except my snow blower

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
So in all my briggs engines i use strait 30 yellow bottle is that the best oil for them or should i use something else?
They are all old except my snow blower

An old lawn mower? I'm sure it couldn't care less what you use for oil. Use whatever leftovers are from a previous oil change.

I have a ~10 year old Honda lawn mower, it currently has Castrol 10w40 motorcycle oil in it LOL. Runs great!

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
in future version the 150 degree test will be added because of the need for the oil to be able to run hotter!

That's done already - HTHS is measured at that temperature.

Wonder how long it will be before we have to use fuel saving oil in our mowers?

Briggs and Kohler will need to back spec to a 0W-20.

Our part of the world is messed up.

Originally Posted By: lilrobo
can some one tell whats better straight 30 weight vs 10w 30

That depends on the application. A very loaded question. I don't know what you are wanting to try it in, but I, personally, would never put straight 30 into any vehicle I have owned, own, or will own... unless I needed to mask a problem.

Originally Posted By: lubedude13
Briggs currently specs synthetic 5w30

That could be a very interesting motor oil.
We have a VOA on the Briggs 30wt and it is a light 30 grade (KV100 of 10cSt) but it has the high phos level (1,000 ppm IIRC).
So if their 5W-30 synthetic has the same high phos level it would be an interesting lighter option to running a heavier 10W-30 HDEO.
I'd like to see a VOA on it just to confirm.

I got a large quantity of PYB straight 30 wt. I have been running it in my Chevy truck with NO issues at all. In fact, I don't even have to add oil, as I believe it does not consume like a 5-30 would.

Unless you are going to drive in cold temps, use without worry. It will work great in the KY summer.

A few decades back, straight thirties were among the grades recommended in the OMs for new cars.
Refering to a 1974 Olds OM, a thirty grade was among the oils recommended for temperatures above 40F in all available engines.
It's not as though a thirty grade will make anything blow up or die young.
It may not be optimal, but it will work just fine in warmer ambients.

thanks good to hear i am getting a new gauge tomm and new 30 w penn and see what happens, i hope to see 15 or more at idle hot

thanks again guys

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: yvon_la
in future version the 150 degree test will be added because of the need for the oil to be able to run hotter!

That's done already - HTHS is measured at that temperature.

Yes, I had that discussion with him in another thread.... LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back