Repairing oil pan with stripped drain hole

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the options for repairing an oil pan with stripped thread on the drain hole? I am thinking of replacing the oil pan and the gasket right now. The plug used is M14-1.50

If it were my vehicle, I would just replace the pan with a new gasket. It will likely be cheaper in the short and long term.

Mitsubishi Lancer OZ, 2005. The access to the oil pan looks easy. There is nothing blocking it like on other cars. I see the part I need on ebay for $40.

One of my local parts places has a rack with oversized drain plugs, and will hire out the appropriate tap with the plug for $20 or so deposit.

Easy as.

Self-Tapping Oversize Oil Drain Plug. I used this on my son's 02 Neon - worked fine. Dorman product - got it at Autozone. Take your time, use cutting oil if possible, back it out several times at least as it cuts the new threads. 20 minute job plus the oil change. Cheap, simple.

I didn't know those self-tapping, double plugs existed. Pretty neat option for a pan that would be a royal pita to replace.

If the pan can be swapped out easy enough, go for it. Only potential issue is breaking off pan bolts if the block skirt it mates to is aluminum. If the car is high miles rust belt, maybe work each pan bolt individually to see if they can be removed and replaced w/out issue. If no go, go the shoemaker drain plug route.

Last edited:
I think replacing a pan that is easy to get to is a better idea. You don't want to introduce any extra metal shavings into the system and if you are up to the job you get the benefit of pulling the pan and getting a good look inside.

There is also the benefit of removing a rusted part from the system that has the possibility of rust through.

The Double plug is a good idea if it doesn't push any material back inside, and would probably be the best option if you couldn't remove the pan without a lot of time.

I've used those self-tapping piggyback plugs on lots of cars. They work great. Just keep a few extra O-rings handy if it uses one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back