Extended life oil.. from cheap oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knew this was coming..Friend is using the Premium Wix filters and SUCKING the oil from the dipstick passage every 3000 miles and changing the filter at 10K.....Using Walmart 10w30...Severe use....Also.... lots of dust...I thought these filters were for synthetic...He is using on sale Dino...15 minute oil change he says...Even change it at a rest stop whe3n on vacation....It's getting out of hand....I thought a $27 oil change every 4K was good...Thet right next to my local bar....I do slide a piece of cardboard under there just to check to see if the kid got a text message in the middle of my oil change.......

First of all, what did you "know" was coming? And your post was pretty.. well.. like mom said, if you ain't got nothing nice to say, don't say nothing at all.

Hello op,

at least he, in some fashion, is changing the oil. Oils are tough these days and so are engines. Built to withstand neglect. Doesn't mean you should, but I think your friend is okay. Learn how to change the oil yourself and then teach him. No use paying $27 for an oil change that may or may not replace your filter and could possibly lead to catastrophic failure if something simple has not been replaced or screwed tight.

What is the problem with a 3,000 mile OCI using SuperTech, with a WixXP changed every second oil change? "I thought these filters were for synthetic," just means the marketing is working.

Originally Posted By: Garak
What is the problem with a 3,000 mile OCI using SuperTech, with a WixXP changed every second oil change? "I thought these filters were for synthetic," just means the marketing is working.

No problem whatsoever, except that Supertech is well-suited to at least a 6K OCI, so this is a little wasteful.

For me, the aesthetics of changing oil without filter changes are questionable too.

Originally Posted By: kmrcstintn
unless YOU rely on HIM to haul YOU around in HIS vehicle...who cares?!?

Exactly, whats the point of this post?

Firstly, easy on the elipses OP, lol.

Secondly, I totally understand where you regards are coming from. You just want to help your friend help himself (by helping his car), which, I of course would do just the same.

Thirdly...

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Keep extending his oci

LOL, if I weren't such a Mr. Nice guy (as in, I get where the OP is coming from), I'd be saying that right there with you.

But as for advice - If you really want to help him out, offer that you will chip in some cash for a synthetic oil so that 10k would be nothing to worry about. However, OTOH, even though I myself change oil conservatively, you might be surprised at how little damage - if any at all - taking a dino to 10k would actually do. Nevertheless, at least he's changing it.

I keep reading 'ST syn is good for 5 of 6k miles...' If it's 'synthetic', why not 8 or 10K? Ive seen people push conventionals to 7500 easy. Doesnt make sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back