Belt dressing or WD-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belts do not make noise.
squeaks & squeels are from lack of belt tension, a misaligned pully, or a bad pully (or accessory).

spraying belt dressing on a serpentine belt will simply expand the ribs and ruin it. I never even use the stuff on V-Belts. I simply apply more tension.

No liquid of any kind should be applied on belts. It can damage them. It can also make them slip and you may end up with the water pump or alternator not working.

Either replace the belt and/or readjust the tension.

To add some comments on belt issues.

If you have a rusted pulley either replace it or sand blast it or use other methods to remove the rust. The belt will just get sanded down by the rust, go farther inside the V-grove and be loose. Then break.

No belt dressing on any belt you care about.

Originally Posted By: EricF
Belts do not make noise.
squeaks & squeels are from lack of belt tension, a misaligned pully, or a bad pully (or accessory).

spraying belt dressing on a serpentine belt will simply expand the ribs and ruin it. I never even use the stuff on V-Belts. I simply apply more tension.

They make noise when they're all cracked on the inside. Bend the belt over backwards into a loop and you'll see the cracks. How exactly they make the noise I'm not quite sure, but it's either because they're losing grip, losing flexibility, or both. The WD-40 lubricates the belt when it's slipping and momentarily eliminates the squeak.

Noisy V belts for all sorts of reason. On startup is usually a loose belt. If the belt has over 70K on it, it is due for replacement. Dunno about serpentine, Rat is quiet, so far.

Nine year old original serpentine belt started whining last fall on the Xterra. $25 and five minutes of my time is all it took to fix the problem.

Just say no to belt dressingss!

It's a good way to introduce sporadic traction issues, and violent momentary torque forces resulting, into the accessory drives.

I've seen shock load/unload traction issues destroy an a/c compressor pulley shortly, let alone tensioners etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back