2003 saturn ion rear drum brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
a co-worker just removed his son's 2003 Saturn Ion rear drum brakes. He got the drum off but several other things came loose. Any good links to drawings, u tube videos, or other sources to assist putting it back together. He never said why he pulled it apart, and is reluctant to pull the other side in case it falls apart. Thanks.

Sounds like the little "nails with springs on them" came loose. The nails go in through the backing plate, the shoes go over the nails-- typically halfway through the "C" or at 3 and 9 oclock on the backing plate. Springs go over the shoes, and a little round doohickey compresses the spring-- turn it 90 degrees with your third hand while holding the spring down.

They make special tools for all this but most people use pliers, screwdrivers, and vise grips.

The shoes were probably still attached to each other via bigger springs.

I'd dig around youtube for rear drum videos, even if you don't find an ion you'll find something with similar brakes.

Probably there was a ridge worn in the drum, so the shoes were stuck in there with it when hammered off.

...and pulling the round doohickeys off of the nails means they are ruined so a new hardware kit is needed.

Originally Posted By: bmwjohn
a co-worker just removed his son's 2003 Saturn Ion rear drum brakes. He got the drum off but several other things came loose. Any good links to drawings, u tube videos, or other sources to assist putting it back together. He never said why he pulled it apart, and is reluctant to pull the other side in case it falls apart. Thanks.

That's why you want to do one side at a time so that you can look at the other side for assembly. Drum brakes is something I wouldn't do without proper drawings and instructions unless you're doing it everyday.

Here is the drawing for my Corolla if it helps:

202497792.png

Yah, drum brakes are something. The whole thing is held together by cheesy bits of stamped steel. Everything between the drum and the backing plate was toast on the Rat. Auto Zone and a few on-line world pac outfits were used as sources. AZ had most of the parts in stock. Parts are cheap. Hardware kit was about 6$. I'll bet they have the parts for a Saturn. They have an online parts catalog. google it.

Gokhan beat me to it. Drums are easy if you do one side at a time with the other for reference. About 10$ of China tools help with the springs.

Last edited:
The hardware for the shoes, wheel cylinder and adjuster does look pretty weak.
Drum brakes are a real pain to work on as compared to discs. The fun often begins with just getting the drums off. Fortunately, if you break anything in the process, the parts are cheap and probably should be replaced anyway.
The only reason they seem to be used on the rear of cars is that they make it cheap and easy to provide for a mechanical parking/emergency brake.
With discs, you either need a second little drum brake set in the hat, or you need those self adjusting threaded pistons, which are a royal pain to deal with.

Ion brakes don't have traditional shoe springs. They have a huge, m-shaped spring that hooks at the top of the brake assembly. It's a pain in the [censored] to get it back on.

Oh. That thing. That's great! There's hardly any parts:
It's obvious where the shoes go. The big giant spring gets one end in the slotted hole on each shoe. The star-wheel goes up top between the shoes in the only place it can go. The self-adjust lever hangs off a roll pin on the back shoe and engages the star-wheel. The other spring has a hook that goes into a hole near the top of the front spring and a loop that attaches to the self-adjust lever. That's all there is.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Ion brakes don't have traditional shoe springs. They have a huge, m-shaped spring that hooks at the top of the brake assembly. It's a pain in the [censored] to get it back on.

Lisle tools makes a tool just for GM-style brake springs. I have it, and it has been a huge help to me.

The package didn't exactly say "GM brake spring tool" and instead mentioned 1988-1998 models of car with such a spring. However, it works perfectly on later cars, such as the Saturn ION and 2007-up cheapest half-ton truck.

If you are replacing brake shoes, should replace the wheel cylinders. Having one fail halfway into the life of replacement brake shoes is common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back