Vehicle scratched while at mechanic - at fault?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opinions do not require factual support, though opinions informed by facts are stronger to defend...if any defense is required.

Advice ought to be supported by experience that offers alternative approaches to an issue...Isn't that the purpose of a post titled with a question ASKING for opinions/advice?

Neither, when given with respect, should be responded with "you don't know what you're talking about"...a simple "thanks but no thanks" is enough...

looks like they put some sort of metal can on your hood while they were moving the truck around.

that's a Gouge on the door not a scratch.. those take skills to make.
looks like it was opened into a post or someone with a tool belt on bumped against it.

I'd politely call and ask to speak to the owner.

if you have to claim it.. it would be off your comprehensive coverage as those are obviously not "collision" type damage

this usually has a low deductible (I paid 8$ more to switch from 500$ to 100$ deduct)

Also AFAIK this usually doesn't involve a rate increase unless you have multiple claims.

While it might feel good to "fight" I think you have no more than a 50/50 chance of winning in small claims court.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: whip
Yes, others have noticed........... All of these things keep happening to him, yet he keeps pointing the finger at everyone else being wrong.

whip- love your very SELECTIVE replies. And yes, you know exactly what I mean.
smile.gif

Number21- just ignore these people (whip and the like). If you know them from prior threads as I do, you'll see they're just waiting to come out of the woodwork to call people "whiners" and rant about "personal responsibility" even when that tired argument does not apply. When confronted with logic and/or rational arguments, they tend to ST_U, ignore, or change the subject.

Originally Posted By: Number21

1. I have pictures.
2. I have a quote from my insurance adjuster that clearly shows that damage not to be there. They just did a very close inspection right before I took it to the mechanic. Independent third party.
3. My insurance company will fight to the death to say those marks were not there.
4. I have at least 4 witnesses that will agree with me.
5. The mechanic can't prove they were there when I dropped it off.
6. There was fresh bare metal when I found it, which has already oxidized. This proves it just happened, and I have pictures of the fresh metal.
7. The mechanic has nothing except "I would never do anything like that".

Number21- one more thing: I have to play devil's advocate and say that:

1. Your proof (1-7, except #5) above doesn't really hold up because it doesn't cover (with supporting evidence) the time between when you got the insurance inspection done and when you dropped it off at his shop. Just saying someone could reasonably argue this if you don't have anything substantial to counter it with.

2. On the other hand, most shops I go to (even the indies) do mark existing damage when taking a car in, so IMHO this is on the shop if they didn't take this step (as you point out in #5 above).

Originally Posted By: moving2
Yes, others have noticed........... All of these things keep happening to him, yet he keeps pointing the finger at everyone else being wrong.

whip- love your very SELECTIVE replies. And yes, you know exactly what I mean.
smile.gif

Number21- just ignore these people (whip and the like). If you know them from prior threads as I do, you'll see they're just waiting to come out of the woodwork to call people "whiners" and rant about "personal responsibility" even when that tired argument does not apply. When confronted with logic and/or rational arguments, they tend to ST_U, ignore, or change the subject.

I'm a real jerk for wanting people to be more responsible for their own actions instead of always blaming someone else and looking to be compensated every time life doesn't go the way they planned.

I'm a real jerk for wanting people to be more responsible for their own actions instead of always blaming someone else and looking to be compensated every time life doesn't go the way they planned.

whip- I wouldn't go that far. I'd just say you're a real jerk for attempting to apply that "personal responsibility" chip on your shoulder to so many situations where there is plenty of blame to go around, even when equal if not greater blame belongs on the "other" party which you, more often than not, fail to address. So I'd say you're a real jerk for that, and for avoiding responding altogether when you've been proven wrong (again, yes, you know exactly what I'm talking about). Or you could just say you're a real jerk and stop right there, pretty accurate either way, wouldn't you say?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back