AR15 Valuation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to sell my AR rifle and I'm not sure what it's worth.I pieced it together in about 2006 and really haven't done much with it over the years. It has a PWC lower, a Mod 1 barrel, Bushmaster chrome bolt, and I forget what flat top upper it has but I don't see any markings. The stock is just a basic 5 position Tapco telescopic. I has a rubberized Hogue grip and and EOtech model 512 sight. There's Yankee Hill quad rail,flip up rear sight, and mount for the First Samco flashlight holder which is holding a Surefire G2. I've got about 8 30 mags to go with it. How much do you think I can get out of it? Let me know if I forgot something important.

I don't want the mods to think I'm trying to sell the rifle on here. My plan is to get an idea of the value and sell it at a local gun show in the coming weeks.

I am NOT a gun expert, but with the new laws limiting the size (number of rounds) that any gun can have with the exception of grandfathering in previous existence, is it legal for you to sell 30 round mags, (I do not think so, but I could be wrong).

Anyhow, you better contact some one more knowledgeable than I (like the people who run any nearby gun shop) to find out if you can legally sell those mags, before you actually sell them, because if it not legal for you to sell them, and you do, you could end up in a real costly legal battle, unless your idea of a good time is spending a few years in jail, and paying some outrageous fine.

Last edited:
Well I'm thinking with a no name upper( not that it is inferior) its probably worth about 700, plus the mags say $160 , the eotech sight is about $400 new. Considering its not new from a dealer id say
$800-900 would be a fair price, not sure if a dealer will pay that as they will need to resell.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
I am NOT a gun expert, but with the new laws limiting the size (number of rounds) that any gun can have with the exception of grandfathering in previous existence, is it legal for you to sell 30 round mags, (I do not think so, but I could be wrong).

Anyhow, you better contact some one more knowledgeable than I (like the people who run any nearby gun shop) to find out if you can legally sell those mags, before you actually sell them, because if it not legal for you to sell them, and you do, you could end up in a real costly legal battle, unless your idea of a good time is spending a few years in jail, and paying some outrageous fine.

He'll have no problem selling those mags, and if it were me I would include one or two with the gun and sell the others separately. Legally, and for more money to people who think they've been made illegal.

This is a terrible time to sell an AR. I'd wait unless you need the money. I'd say $8-900 for the package. If you have Facebook join one of the gun trading groups in your area and shop it there.

Originally Posted By: hatt
This is a terrible time to sell an AR. I'd wait unless you need the money. I'd say $8-900 for the package. If you have Facebook join one of the gun trading groups in your area and shop it there.

Yup, it is a bad time to sell. Ideal time to sell was right after Sandy Hook when p-mags were going for $75 each and ARs could go for 3-4 grand. My friend that owns a store specializing in ARs actually called me and said he had someone who wanted to buy my SOCOM II for 6 grand. As nice as the money would have been, I have not seen one for sale since so I declined.

I sold a very, very gently used Rock River standard A2 with the OEM clip for $1,500 in January of 2013. I paid $900 in January of 2009. I could have easily gotten $1,800 or more at the local gun show had I tried to sell it there. I sold it to a foolish friend that had $$$$$ burning a hole in his pocket.

I'm still kicking myself for not selling everything I had relating to ARs.
mad.gif

This is a terrible time to sell an AR. I'd wait unless you need the money. I'd say $8-900 for the package.

+1

Hold on to it until the next gun panic, then sell it for $1600-$1800.

I know a bunch of guys that have started picking up parts, mainly lower receivers, for the next panic.

You can purchase a stripped lower for around $50 plus whatever your FFL charges, then go from there.

Being a car guy you should have most of the tools already for assembly of the AR15.

Fun stuff.

This is the cheapest time in history to buy an AR-15. During the Obama gun scare, guns were selling like hot cakes, manufactures were ramping up production to never before seen levels. Dozens of manufacturers sprang up overnight and guns are being pumped out in the thousands. Based on the supply vs demand principle, supply is huge, demand is lowering, and prices are at historical lows.

Based on the above, plus my vast knowledge of AR-15's, give you the following prices:

PWC lower - Never heard of it, Google search never heard of it either. Are you sure it isn't a a PWA? Pac West Arms? If it is your basic forged aluminum AR lower, it is worth $150 complete.

upper - The stuff you mentioned it very low grade by today's standards. That complete upper is worth about $300, the Yankee Hill quad rail adds about $50. The flip up rear site, if name brand adds $50-60. If the rear site is not name brand, it is worthless and adds no value. (Name brand is Troy, Knights Armament, Yankee Hill, GG&G, Magpul, etc)

Eotech 512- Used, they are worth $350

8 30 round magazines- worth $10 each, $80 total

Surefire with mount - worth $40

If you parted it out you could get about $970-$1000 for everything. Selling it complete as a package, I think it would fetch about $850-900, to the right buyer (will be on the market a LONG time). Reason being, a person can get the gold standard in AR's, the Colt 6920 for $899 right now. You can also get a Palmetto State Armory complete AR15 with Aimpoint PRO for $1000 when they run their sales. That gun compares favorably to the Colt and is very high quality.

I'm still kicking myself for not selling everything I had relating to ARs.
mad.gif

Me too. I have a Colt M-4 Gov't with the stamp on it indicating it was made during the ban. I could have got some decent change for that during the scare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back