0w-40 observations in a 5w-30 recom'd vehicle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3380338/Castrol_Edge_0w40#Post3380338

I am not one to 'notice' differences from brand to brand etc. except for the perceived quieting effect QSGB has on my engine, but I recently (two days ago) changed my oil to the very highly certified, EDGE 0w-40. For the long weekend, and Bless those soldiers/hero's that sacrificed and sacrifice for all our nations, we drove to the Fl. Keys. Boy, I can absolutely notice a sluggishness in the drive. My gas tank was topped up with 93 octane from the same Shell I usually use, it was only two of us with beach gear we've used before. Tire pressure was checked prior to the 400 mile drive, and ambient temps was ~ 88° F. Not sure if I'd use it again if it continues to feel this way. I'll give it more time.

*Nope, no noticeable difference in MPG.

Last edited:
Subscribed. Be interested to see how this comes out, looking forward to the UOA.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
What are we comparing here? A 0W-40 vs a typical 5W-30?
Then yes I you could notice the increased oil drag.

5w-30 SYNpower and QSGB for the most part.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Subscribed. Be interested to see how this comes out, looking forward to the UOA.

Hey Kuato, at my mandated short oci, I dont think UOA's are necessary unless I notice a loss of oil or other issues.

The mind plays tricks... or you have an incredibly sensitive butt...! Or, more likely, extra weight, full tank, warmer temps... and you wondering if a 40 grade is too thick...!

There was noticeable responsiveness when I changed M1 0W40 to PP 5W20 in my MB E430 some years ago, I also observed more than 2-3% increased in gas mileage.

Right now it has 5 quarts M1 0W20 + 2 quarts M1 0W40 + 1 quart M1 HM 5W20 + 5-6 oz Liqui Moly MoS2.

The engine seems to run very smooth, gas mileage improved another 2-3%.

I noticed zero difference in responsiveness in the Expedition going from 0w-20 to 5w-40 D1 (a fair bit heavier still than the 0w-40 if we are going by HTHS) and the same with my old Fox, which I ran everything from 0w-20 (in the winter) to 5w-40 in. Oh, and the same for the Town Car, LOL!

You guys must have the most awesome super-sensitive butt dynos on the planet if you can feel the 1 or 2HP that the extra visc might be costing you
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: geeman789
The mind plays tricks... or you have an incredibly sensitive butt...! Or, more likely, extra weight, full tank, warmer temps... and you wondering if a 40 grade is too thick...!

Who said too thick?
21.gif

I said more sluggish. My tank is always full and two beach chairs, a couple towels and a cooler isnt extra weight. But as for mind tricks... Yeah, it may be that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I noticed zero difference in responsiveness in the Expedition going from 0w-20 to 5w-40 D1 (a fair bit heavier still than the 0w-40 if we are going by HTHS) and the same with my old Fox, which I ran everything from 0w-20 (in the winter) to 5w-40 in. Oh, and the same for the Town Car, LOL!

You guys must have the most awesome super-sensitive butt dynos on the planet if you can feel the 1 or 2HP that the extra visc might be costing you
grin.gif

It could be nothing OVERKILL. I'll let more time go by before making any conclusions.

Last edited:
Well you've tried it and now you know.
Even though Hyundai doesn't require it, when you switch back to the 5W-30 grade I'd stick with a synthetic oil.

Yes, I definitely will regardless of weight.

You must have a very sensitive butt dino.
I've never noticed any difference in going up one grade in any engine, except that it typically made the engine smoother and quieter.
No statistically significant difference in fuel economy either, and I've always logged each fill on all of our cars.

Whether you can notice it is very much vehicle specific and generally the lighter the car and the more responsive the engine, the more likely you're going to notice a viscosity change.
I certainly noticed the difference when I switched from M1 0W-40 to 0W-20 that I ran for a few winters in my Bimmer.
That said most of the difference is during warm up. Once the engine is good and hot, a single grade difference is hard to notice. Although what one tends to remember or notice most is the difference when you first fire the car up in the morning and start your commute.

Next oil change, get some 5/10w30 , some 0/5w40, and some 15/20w50, and have someone else put the oil in. Make your observations, write them down, and only then have the "filler" tell you what he/she put in...!

Originally Posted By: geeman789
Next oil change, get some 5/10w30 , some 0/5w40, and some 15/20w50, and have someone else put the oil in. Make your observations, write them down, and only then have the "filler" tell you what he/she put in...!

laugh.gif

...most of the difference is during warm up...

Exactly right.

responsiveness?dont go ask an engineer to test your theory ,mind play trick ,if you were speaking about noise ?maybe (assuming most of the stuff is similar !but responsiveness?highly unlikely!

My truck had a similar experience when running m1 0w40 straight as opposed to my blend of 2qts 0w40 and 3.5qts m1 5w30ep. Truck felt sluggish when revving and mileage dropped for the first ~1k but after that, seemed to. Ack to normal. In my case, it was the timing chains shearing the oil in which caused the back to normal feel.

Give it time and see how your numbers turn out. You may find that a full fill of w40 may be too much for the motor but a 50/50 or etc.... May be just right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back