When is it worth putting money into your ride?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless you see a major problem with your car in the near future, $450.00 is nothing. I looked at new Grand Cherokees last week and some of them are pushing $55,000 with tax.
The cheapest car to own is the one that you already have.

Now if you have lots of money to blow...that is a different story.

Originally Posted By: Dually
I have a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 132,000 miles the engine/body is great but I need two new door panels for the front that are cracked at the door handle.Parts for drivers side would be about $450.When does it not pay to sink money into a car/truck?Joe

How did they break? This is the kind of part you can look around for when you have time. If you go to a junkyard, make sure you have the couple of tools to remove door panels without busting things.

I might try and glue them if possible.

What is the plan for the Jeep. Keep it until it dies for good mechanically?

Mom's 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee is doing well at 153,000 miles. It is working so well, that she isn't worried about the upcoming expense of having some front suspension work done.

If your Jeep has not demanded many repairs during its life, $450 isn't too much money to spend.

I'd feel differently if your Jeep was prone to some sort of widespread and expensive to fix problem, but I don't believe that is your case.

Fixing what you have has definite advantages over getting a new to you car. Unless it was rescued from the crusher. The 600$ Rat was headed for the crusher. 1500$ in parts so far and still counting. Ka- ching!
grin2.gif

I always fix cosmetic issues on my vehicles if they are still in decent shape. For one you enjoy the vehicle more because its in decent shape, and lastly when you go to sell it you get more money for it.

Last edited:
2006 Grand Cherokee with door panels cracked at the interior handle? That is a common problem from 2005 - 2010 and here is a company that makes repair kits (better than stock) that save you hundreds of dollars over replacement stock door panels:

http://wiseautotools.com/search.php?search_query=grand+cherokee&x=25&y=13

Here is the video showing the installation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UxVOE1x8p_Q

A full set of 4 is $179 and you can buy individual ones as well. They also make handle repair kits for the Jeep Commander which suffers from the same problem.

Andrew S.

Last edited:
Ive spent 8k in parts for a 2k rig. Thats 10k in parts and maintenance in two years and 60k miles.

Still cheaper than if I would have bought new.

And Id probably be worried about someone scratching it....

Can I sell it for anywhere near 10k? God no. Can I drive it to alaska without worry...yep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back