How long to run engine for coolant flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to flush the coolant in my 4-stroke atv (kfx450r)...problem is it is extremely loud so I don't like to run it in my neighborhood for very long.

I need to flush the coolant. How long do I need to run the engine to flush everything out? I'd like to let it run it as short as possible.

i actually just drained and refilled the coolant last week but neglected to flush the system (old coolant came out very clean). It was originally filled with ethylene glycol and the new coolant is propylene glycol. Supposidly, these do not mix and can clog the system. Is this true?

or should i stop worrying so much?

Last edited:
I'd not worry. IMO if you run it awhile then drain and refill again, it should be good. Then just drain and refill each spring.
thumbsup2.gif

i think i'm going to just going to drain it and run distilled water in it for my next trip. there should be no harm with using only distilled water..right? the lowest temp i think it will get is like 55 degrees so no issues with freezing.

I'd do a couple of runs with straight water and then consider it flushed if the water comes out clean and clear.
A third run might be needed.
You can then fill it with whatever coolant you'd like.
Water is not good long term from a corrosion standpoint, but a few hours running with it won't hurt a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back