Kia picant crdi 1 litre

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son just bought a kia crdi with a 1000cc 3 cylinder turbo diesel.
And to my surprise does the manual say use oil with atleast CH ( no gas "S" in manual.)
This thing uses hdeo...
I wonder if the servce station ever used this kind of oil?
Anyway, i use 10w-40 hdeo in all of my stuff and havent had any trouble with that.
But my son doesent have access to an electrical outlet so he cant use the cars engine heater. It can get cold in the winter here (-30 degC/ extreme, -10/ normal, +-0/ common
and he have to get this thing started.
- With what should i dilute my lovley hdeo with to get things turning??
I can get 0w-30 b4 oil.
I can get all kinds of oils in the 5w-40 range and some 5w-30.
It will se a 8 k oci wich means tvice a year. Manual says 12 k and once a year for normal duty and 6 k for severe duty. He mostly commute on a highway so it gets run rather fast/ hard wich makes me place it inbetween severe and normal duty.
Right now it gets 44-50 mpg with minimal differences between city and highway driving.

If the wording in the OM is "at least CH" then any oil meeting or exceeding that API spec should be fine.
If it happens to be a dual rated fleet oil, like a CJ/SM, that should be no problem since the oil would still exceed the required diesel spec.
There are a number of API CJ/SM 5W-40s out there, any one of which would be good for cold weather.
There are also some even lighter grades of HDEOs and dual rated fleet oils sold in really cold climates. Canada sees grades that we don't see here, for example.
The 10W-40 CI oil you're using in your other cars would be fine for the warmer months.
Using a CJ oil with its relatively light add pack should be no problem with the drain intervals you contemplate, since I assume that you were using kilometers as the unit of distance.
The car sounds like a neat little fuel saver.

The only small diesel in the UK is the 1.1crd as fitted to the Rio, not.sure if that is the same engine as in the Picanto.

But that is specced for 5w30 C3 low saps oil.

No particel filter on it. its a 2007.
Sadly xw-30 hdeo isnt avail.
searching for a acea letter that corresponds to api ch/ci
or an appropriate acea letter for passcar diesels.

-an extension cord is out of the question, he doesent even
have a regular parking place.

seems like a b4 would do the trick.
and can get a 0w-30 b4 oil, make it a 50/50 and i would end with a 5w-35 or something....
( 10w-40 ci4+ hdeo is around 4$/ L compared to 15$/ L for
0w-30...) And i use rather much of hdeo per year so its
convinient to get it in 5 gallon cans.

A B4 probably would. A 0w-30 B4 should have sufficient HTHS. However, the B4 oils I've seen here usually meet API diesel specs older still, closer to CF. That's why, to be sure, I'd lean towards one of the E specifications I indicated, since those having CJ-4 will be certainly backwards compatible. There should be 5w-40 versions available, too. The cost may be another issue.

Is this the little monster producing 112 lb·ft @ 2000rpm ?

These are the Hyundai/Kia original oils:

http://lotusauto.com.ua/images/HYUNDAI_KIA_oil.pdf

Here is how a virgin sample of their 5w-30 API CH-4 looks like (thanks to oil-club.ru )

http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/index.php?a...attach_id=13241

Exxon-Mobil facilities in Uddevalla should be still producing Delvac 1 5w-40 CI-4+ (in case the OEM oil is too expensive...).

But with the oil sump capacity of 5,3l.(sic!) and OCI twice a year things can get a bit costly so making a home blend looks like a good idea...

Last edited:
Well i found the oil now and its avail at my
local oildealer:
OKQ8 T910
Ultra High Performance Diesel Engine Oil SAE 5W-30
 ACEA E9, E7, E6
 API CJ-4 / SN
Lägsta flyttemperatur,( lowest float temperature) °C -48
Lägsta pumpbarhetstemperatur,( lowest pumpability) °C -45

This should be more than adequete...

Status
Not open for further replies.