New Mazda-Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good little truck! No major issue's to really be concerned with. A couple of the spark plugs on the driver side are a little difficult to get to. Worse thing about a Ranger is they ride rough. Our friends at Ford never did much to upgrade the suspension over it's lifetime. Standard maintenance on them is inexpensive.

Last edited:
The truck 2.3 has a little less hp than the car 2.3, and I think I read somewhere that its mostly from the differences in the intake manifold. The car version flows better, for more peak hp, but needs turbulence flaps to keep it happy at low rpm and low throttle. I imagine the swap would be much more trouble than its worth for 8 hp?

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
The truck 2.3 has a little less hp than the car 2.3, and I think I read somewhere that its mostly from the differences in the intake manifold. The car version flows better, for more peak hp, but needs turbulence flaps to keep it happy at low rpm and low throttle. I imagine the swap would be much more trouble than its worth for 8 hp?

I agree. Since it's a stick she can choose whether to beat it or not, it's one of those engines where you are moving along better than your 'seat of the pants' says. I just can't believe how nice this one is for only 4 grand...

More fluid changes... I have now changed the rear end, the trans, the engine, the steering rack, the brakes, the clutch, and the coolant. The little gem is averaging 27 mpg with a rusty stick driver who will refine her techniques and eventually do even better.

I am most impressed, the new Ford is doing very well even in Mazda clothes...

Best of all, they were made by Norwegian bachelor farmers in Minnesota. MDW, drove it perfectly after 30 yrs of driving automagics. The Mazdas were cheaper than the Ranger. Just like the difference in a Nova or a Prizm vs a Corolla.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Best of all, they were made by Norwegian bachelor farmers in Minnesota. MDW, drove it perfectly after 30 yrs of driving automagics. The Mazdas were cheaper than the Ranger. Just like the difference in a Nova or a Prizm vs a Corolla.

Yet the Mazda's different shaped bed is coveted by the Ranger folks. We knew it was frugal transport, but with ice cold air and good mpg it is the perfect car for a young nursing student who only needs it for a year or a bit less.

Quick update: bought beautiful Gabriel Ultra's for all 4 positions, only 19.00 apiece!

The front shocks didn't even have half a bushing left! The rears were ultra cheapie monroes, great as boat anchors.

Truck rides and drives so nice, sweet little vehicle!

Rangers are great trucks. I've owned 3 myself. A 1990 with the 4.0 and also a 99 and 00 both with the 3.0. They were all pretty reliable. None ever needed much beyond regular maintenance and they seemed to haul a good amount of weight for a smaller truck. My mother has a 94 with a ton of miles that receives pretty much no maintenance and it still keeps on running. She has managed to ruin several other cars she has owned but the Ranger keeps taking a beating! If I was in need of a truck, I probably wouldn't even give much consideration to any other make or model. Rangers have always been good to me
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back