Mobil ! 10W-30, 2006 GMC 1500, 20,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The high copper seems to be a signature of some GM engines.

That's because everybody's running the specified 5W-30.

I've seen the same GM truck engines on here but with a 10W-40. They do a lot better with the 40 weight.

Nothing wrong here at all.

The perception of high Fe and Cu is because of two things:
1) Most BITOGers simply are afraid to run that far, so they don't see totals that large
2) Fe accums with miles- we know that; Cu is a trend in many GM vehicles due to the oil cooler circuit which has Cu tubing. Nuff said

On a PPM/1k mile basis, this is a great run. Very low Si; air filter is fine and you should leave it alone! Don't even think about touching it. Other stuff like oxidation and nitration are OK. No coolant intrusion.

TBN/TAN are basically a moot issue when you use the vehicle frequently and get it up to temp. That keeps the moisture out and therefore acids don't typically build to any large level. We've seen many examples of the infamous feared "cross-over" and nothing ever bad happened. This was a big issue way back in the day when engines were not sealed up well, and both the fuel and oils had lots of sulfur; not the case anymore.

Nothing wrong with a 20k mile OCI here, despite the fear that some have. Use a good quality filter and keep on motoring. That little 4.8L is doing fine.

I would go with M1 high mileage oil 10w-30 or 40, has extra ZDDP. Bosch D+ or Royal Purple oil filter for 20k OCI, Donaldson filters are a good standard but similar to a wix.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The high copper seems to be a signature of some GM engines.

That's because everybody's running the specified 5W-30.

I've seen the same GM truck engines on here but with a 10W-40. They do a lot better with the 40 weight.

Please tell use how a 40wt oil will produce less copper than a 30wt in GM engines since the copper does not come from the rod or crank bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back