Gas station begging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Open carry where I live now.

That`s AWESOME!! I wish Tx would go to open carry!!

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Best advice if you need to be out at night and need to stop at a gas station is to pack heat, and use it when needed. Usually with beggars and run of the mill panhandlers (opportunists) they will leave your sight immediately if you pull out your gun and display it. That is the best deterrent I have found.

Most places it is not legal to brandish a firearm in public. Check your states laws.

This it not true where I live. Open carry where I live now.

Pulling out your gun and displaying it is not like open carry. That is brandishing and is a crime.

My friend`s dad has an attorney friend that was traveling a long distance on the highway (he`s somewhere between his 60s and 70s) late at night. He stopped into a gas station and was followed to the restroom by a group of people. They were waiting outside the door when he was walking out and tried to surround him. He simply lifted up his shirt exposing his holstered handgun,and the scumbags ran off.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
My friend`s dad has an attorney friend that was traveling a long distance on the highway (he`s somewhere between his 60s and 70s) late at night. He stopped into a gas station and was followed to the restroom by a group of people. They were waiting outside the door when he was walking out and tried to surround him. He simply lifted up his shirt exposing his holstered handgun,and the scumbags ran off.

That is different than "pulling out your gun and displaying it".

"Pulling" implies removing it from it's holster. The only time a firearm should be removed from it's holster (if you're carrying in public) is if your life or others are in eminent danger and you need to use it to stop the threat to your (or others') life.

I do almost everything I need to do in the daytime. Occasionally I will go late to Wal-Mart or get gas late but the places I get gas either have an attendant on duty or I go to a store where they have cameras. I am always careful because you never can tell when something will happen. And I am more cautious in some places like a big city or anyplace that has a bad feel to it.

A person can avoid most bad situations will a little common sense. For example, if you see a bunch of guys together and they are really checking out other people and everything around them you sure as heck do not want to get out of your car and walk near them. Any situation that looks kind of strange and I will find another place to go or another time to go. If something does happen you do whatever you need to do.

I am not going to go out of my way to walk close to some obvious hobos, possible gang members, or beggars. The beggars will often approach somebody but none of them have turned aggressive yet.

At home I keep my doors locked even when I am at home.

Typically anybody who wants to assault another person is looking for an easy target. So you make yourself a harder target. And stay away from the bad people. Let them walk their path of darkness to wherever they are going to go-prison, drug overdoes, whatever. I have already outlived most of the evil people I have known. They went to prison or died in drug overdoses or died from alcoholism or were murdered by somebody else or whatever. I am still here and they are gone. For example I know of one major jerk who simply disappeared. Nobody has any idea what happened to him and his body was never found. It is assumed that he messed with the wrong guy and was killed. The people who choose to walk in darkness find their ends in darkness.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

"Pulling" implies removing it from it's holster. The only time a firearm should be removed from it's holster (if you're carrying in public) is if your life or others are in eminent danger and you need to use it to stop the threat to your (or others') life.

Actually that is what I should have said. I usually pull my shirt up and that will display the gun. But honestly what meth or coke addicted [censored] is going to go running to the police complaining about a customer getting gas at 2 AM feeling theatened by them?
crazy2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

The simple fact is that we now live in a very dangerous country and symbols of force (or actual force) can be very effective at repelling otherwise aggressive, and potential deadly vermin that roam the streets looking for victims.

Last edited:

Actually that is what I should have said. I usually pull my shirt up and that will display the gun. But honestly what meth or coke addicted [censored] is going to go running to the police complaining about a customer getting gas at 2 AM feeling theatened by them?
crazy2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

The simple fact is that we now live in a very dangerous country and symbols of force (or actual force) can be very effective at repelling otherwise aggressive, and potential deadly vermin that roam the streets looking for victims.

You're right, no druggie in their right mind (such a thing?) would call the cops, but maybe a concerned bystander who only saw part of the incident? Not enough to get the whole story, but enough to see you threatening someone? All they have to do is record your plate and call the police. These are things that have to be considered. Something like that could easily turn against you- then you're in court trying to defend yourself all over again.

I give money to pan handlers, but they gotta be standing up when they ask me, not sitting down. And if they're smoking when they ask me, that's a no-go. I'm not gonna help support their cigarette habit.

I've never seen a pan handler at a gas station. They're always at a parking lot somewhere and they're always trying to gather change for a bus ride.

antiqueshell said:
The_Eric said:
You're right, no druggie in their right mind (such a thing?) would call the cops, but maybe a concerned bystander who only saw part of the incident? Not enough to get the whole story, but enough to see you threatening someone? All they have to do is record your plate and call the police. These are things that have to be considered. Something like that could easily turn against you- then you're in court trying to defend yourself all over again.

That concerned bystander is likely a customer just like I would be, and if they saw the aggressor approaching me I seriously doubt they are going to bother or get involved in any way, doesn't bother me in the least though as I would simply tell the officer that I felt I was under threat by a drug fueled cretin and was just giving the guy a peek of what might happen if he attacked me.

This would apply to where I live, YMMV.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back