$50+ for M1-EP @ Wal-Mart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, has oil gone up?? I don't remember having to give this much for an M1-EP oil change at Wal-Mart last time.

5-qt jug M1-EP - $27.97
1-qt bottle M1-EP - $8.92
Fram Ultra - $8.92
Tennessee oil fees - $.12
Sales tax @ 9.25% - $4.25

Total - $50.23

I know they got me with the 1-qt bottle at $8.92, but dang, M1-EP has gone up!

Is it other oils too?

M1 EP was $27.xx for long time, it went down to $25.xx few months ago and it's only normal for it to go back up to previous price.

Yes, any single quart of any brand and type is much more expensive per quart than 5-qt jug.

Fram Ultra at $8.92 is almost as expensive as other stores.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
I just buy 2 five quart jugs and the second one goes away one quart at a time.

That's what I should have done. In my case, that jug would last 10 oil changes, as my capacity is 5.5 qts.

With 2 jugs you have 4.5 quarts left after 1st oil change, use that 4.5 quarts plus 1 quart from a new jug for next oil change. On the third oil change use 4 quarts remaining you bought for 2nd oil change plus 1.5 quarts from a new jug, and so on.

No oil is older than 1 OCI.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
With 2 jugs you have 4.5 quarts left after 1st oil change, use that 4.5 quarts plus 1 quart from a new jug for next oil change. On the third oil change use 4 quarts remaining you bought for 2nd oil change plus 1.5 quarts from a new jug, and so on.

Good thinking! I'm gonna adopt your plan next time.

My theory is that M1 was cheap because Walmart was blowing out old bottle PU.

The M1 wholesaler didn't want to loose market share to SOPUS.

Now that the shelves are full of "new" PU at $27 and change, M1 EP is back to the old price.

I never buy singles at Wallyworld.

...and you could use the same filter for two oil changes.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
...and you could use the same filter for two oil changes.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

I've thought about that, too...

Wonder how the Fram Ultra would do for 20,000 miles and 10 months.

Currently you have M1 EP 5W-30 with Fram Ultra, you should do an UOA at 12-13k miles without changing the oil and filter to see if you can extend to 18-20k miles.

If your engine is clean and your driving is mostly highway, which it should be based on 2k miles a month, M1 EP and Fram Ultra should be able to extend to 20k miles.

I've had UOAs @ 7.5K & 10K...they're documented here.

I'm comfortable with 10K OCI...works out to about twice a yr.

Could probably go longer, but I'm planning to keep the truck indefinitely. So, 10K with this oil/filter leaves a fairly comfortable safety margin.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
I never buy singles at Wallyworld.

Yes, IF you can, and HAVE TO HAVE single quarts, it pays to wait until NAPA has it's M1 sale @ $5.99/qt. (used to be $4.99/qt.!!).

The only downside is that they never include the EP versions in their M1 sales (IF they even stock the EP at all).
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back