Maintenance on new cars...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since most mainstream new cars require so little maintenance, it's hardly a concern.
Expensive oil for a new VW?
No more expensive than what most of us would use anyway and there's always a deal available on oil.

FWIW I knew buying my Track Pack that it required 5W50, part of why I got it, I just still don't like 5W20. My mom's new Fusion uses 5W30 on the 2.0L EcoBoost.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Does anyone check into the cost and complication of maintenance procedures on a vehicle before purchase?

No, other than to see if car required a timing belt, but I will from now on. Complex maintenance procedures that practically require you return the car to the dealer to get it right is a pain. One pleasant surprise of my Ford is its straight-forward relatively low maintenance schedule and competitively priced oil changes at the Quicklane place.

Yes I do. That is one reason they can keep their 19-20" wheels etc. Those tires are more expensive and normally don't last as long. I also check for tranny fluid, coolant and spark plug change intervals. I check owner forums to see if there is any strange maintenance like carbon removal every 20,000 miles of a friggin' timing belt.

I'm currently car shopping, and that's why I ruled out the Jetta.

I think I'm settled on the Impreza. Oil change is laughably easy, and most other things are right in front of you. My only gripe is the CVT fluid, which I'm going to be researching some more. I really dislike having my fluids pigeon-holed back to OEM fluids.

I was that guy looking under the cars, pulling off the engine covers in the car lot.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Since most mainstream new cars require so little maintenance, it's hardly a concern.

This.

Our newer vehicles and fleet trucks hardly require any maintenance at all. Basically a "100k miles without a worry" plan. Change oil, occasional tire rotation, drive...

It appears that if you keep buying new cars and dump your current car before the warranty expires or before a timing belt is needed you don't have to worry. But if you drive 'em tell they drop, difficult maintenance procedures can be a killer. There are trucks where you remove the cab for service and cars where you remove the engine for certain service or repairs. That's got to be a deal breaker. A neighbor has the front end off his Audi in the driveway and the engine on the ground. I was asked by his wife not to say the word "Audi" in his presence and tread lightly around the issue of do it yourself repairs. I am now helping him and I can see that any Audi would be off my list. My V8 4Runner is looking a lot better these days.

Yep. Took a good long look under the hood of both our cars and researched how to do the little things. Everything is out in the open for the most part. Doing routine stuff is easy. Oil, filters, other fluids are pretty easy to change with a well-outfitted set of tools for a DIY'er. Buying "world" cars homologated for the US market helps with this.

Originally Posted By: CErnst
I'm currently car shopping, and that's why I ruled out the Jetta.

I think I'm settled on the Impreza. Oil change is laughably easy, and most other things are right in front of you. My only gripe is the CVT fluid, which I'm going to be researching some more. I really dislike having my fluids pigeon-holed back to OEM fluids.

I was that guy looking under the cars, pulling off the engine covers in the car lot.

I like my '14 Impreza SL, FWIW...

I've started just to avoid timing belts and complicated cars. Inline 4's and 2wd and a manual transmission is the forumula to get work everyday for not much money.

Absolutely, purchased two in the past two years, avoided timing belts, no PS fluids or belts and reasonable OCIs as well. ease of access to filter and drain plug. I don;t like that most manufacturers have gone to no dipstick for the transmission and sealed units. I always look at the owner's manual while shopping and sometimes that is tough as they are not in the cars and like pulling teeth to get a sales person to show you the manual so you can look at the maintenance schedule. They say what is your question and I say I want to see the manual. Some actually refuse and I walk out. Unfortunately many owners disregard the owner's manual and change oil too often ( what worked 20 years ago is still good for me attitude) and one has to avoid the dealer upsells to perform services before they are needed or reguired in the manual. Oh, 87 octane fuel as well, I had two premium burners and what a savings going to regular gas.

I really don't understand all of this disdain for timing belts.
We drove Hondas for years with this type of cam drive and never had a problem.
The typical change isn't that hard to do or that costly to have done, and will likely happen once in the life of the car.
No biggie, and it's not as thought timing chains never fail.
They are also a whole lot harder and more expensive to replace.
Any new car has a design service life of 150K with no major repairs.
This means that with good maintenance, 200K is easy to reach with nothing major breaking.
We've done this with multiple cars, since we've always both had fairly long commutes and we do like to do things on weekends as well.

The typical change isn't that hard to do or that costly to have done, and will likely happen once in the life of the car.
No biggie, and it's not as thought timing chains never fail.
This means that with good maintenance, 200K is easy to reach with nothing major breaking.
We've done this with multiple cars, since we've always both had fairly long commutes and we do like to do things on weekends as well.

A guy at work just paid $2,800 dollars for his Audi belt, some seals and gaskets at the dealer and has to take the car back twice for coolant leaks and once to have one headlight adjusted because of this service. I would say that looking into the expense of doing some common services would be useful if one buys a car and plans any driving out of warranty.

I do understand. Timing belt should be changed well before the 150K stated. By the 200K stated, nearly due for a second TB change on Honda. These maintenance items do cost money, even do it yourself. If this is an attempt to defend Honda, even Honda has moved to timing chains on most 4 cyl engines.
Quote:
Drove many domestics and some imports some chain, some belt and never had a cam drive problem except did have to replace the Timing Belts as suggested in the owners manual. Replaced hydraulic tensioner, pulleys in the Honda. And except had Honda recall for defective TB tensioner.
Quote:
The typical change isn't that hard to do or that costly to have done,
Depends what is considered costly or not that hard. Did my Honda TB. Not extremely easy or hard. Dealer $tealer near $1000 if do water pump, hydraulic tensioner, pulleys. Should replace the hydraulic tensioner on Hondas as they often start to leak. Too loose tensioner equals slipped TB and may mean bent valves and engine rebuild in an interference engine like Hondas.
Quote:
and will likely happen once in the life of the car.
Depends on mileage at the life of the car. See above.
Quote:
No biggie
Depends.
Quote:
and it's not as thought timing chains never fail.
For TB, manufacturer recommends it be changed. Timing chains have better odds of a chain lasting the life of the car without replacement, whatever life of car is.
Quote:
But chain needs replacement less often.
Quote:
Not my Honda V6 auto trans, or my co workers Pilot AT, or my friend's TL auto trans.
Quote:
Not my Honda V6 auto trans, or my co workers Pilot AT, or my friend's TL auto trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back