Sound Deadened a New Car - WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not call the interior of the 2011-2014 WRX refined. Just adequate. I bought the Limited (leather, sun roof, etc). But new for under $29K I never complain. What drove me a bit nuts was the noise factor. So I went after it with a $500 vengeance.

Found a really GREAT local guy through a local gun forum Chris at http://www.soundsonwheels.com/index.php . Great little series of shops. He took the entire day dedicated to my car and used quite a bit of Accumat (effective as Dynamat, easy to use and stick better). I would have taken a LOT longer and I would have broken stuff. I watched him work for awhile at the beginning and end. Well worth it, IMHO.

The result. Simply, unbelievably amazing. I can get all into the boost getting on the freeway and I don't need to turn the radio up. Simply quiet.

Recommended.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
How much mass did it add?

I can't answer for Pablo, but done correctly it would add about 75 lbs or so to a car the size of a WRX. That a very worthy trade-off in my book. I know my Freestyle is a completely different car after doing it.

Here's a great site that details the best methods to use: http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/.

I'm a huge fan of investing the time/money for doing this for almost any car.

That was the major complaint of wife and my 2004 WRX as she hated the noise.

I almost pushed the button on the Saab 92x Aero(WRX twin) which apparently had 200lbs of additional weight from sound deadening along with an STI steering rack.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
……..I can get all into the boost getting on the freeway and I don't need to turn the radio up. Simply quiet.

Recommended.

In addition to the reduction of engine noise, did you also get a reduction of tire/road noise?

I would say it was close to 60-70 #'s. May be a bit more. I could not pick it up with my left hand. I figured that was the trade off, just more dead weight.

I actually think most of the noise reduction IS road noise reduction. Give me a week or two - my brain will forget the delta dB. But the doors and the hatch sure close with a nice quiet "poofplook". Vs Subie tinmancan.

One way to gauge the noise level is to note the volume level for a particular recording necessary to hear it clearly, otherwise your ears don't have a very good 'memory'.

Tires make a lot of difference, but when there is a noisy road surface no tire will ride quietly, so then the insulation is the only cure.

You know, something else that works -- ear plugs, or more high tech, noise cancelling earphones. THey come in the over the ear or ear bud type and even lower priced ones work.. I have some that were only ~$20 or so that work and you can switch them off and on while wearing them to note the improvement.

Those little foam rolls or even wadded up wet kleenex block sound pretty well, too.

Originally Posted By: datech
You know, something else that works -- ear plugs, or more high tech, noise cancelling earphones. THey come in the over the ear or ear bud type and even lower priced ones work.. I have some that were only ~$20 or so that work and you can switch them off and on while wearing them to note the improvement.

Those little foam rolls or even wadded up wet kleenex block sound pretty well, too.

The biggest problem with those options are that they are illegal. They interfere too much with hearing things you need to have the ability to hear, such as emergency vehicle sirens. Too little noise feedback is a bad thing.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Sound insulation is an awesome idea. Did they put everything go back together nice and tight from what you can tell?

Flawless.

That's GREAT!
thumbsup2.gif

But I personally am looking to pull every little gram of weight off of every car I own, not adding pounds, db levels be d****d.
lol.gif

If I want a whisper quiet luxo-barge, I will buy a Town Car.
wink.gif

I did the same thing with my then new G35. I added a bit more weight, but kept most of it below the belt line. 150k miles later it is still quieter than the new G37's on the highway.

I know I slowed the car down a bit, but it is worth every penny, and a reason I don't want to replace the car.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Originally Posted By: datech

The biggest problem with those options are that they are illegal. They interfere too much with hearing things you need to have the ability to hear, such as emergency vehicle sirens. Too little noise feedback is a bad thing.

With noise cancelling headphones I can hear sirens BETTER as the background noise is lowered.

Simple ear plugs will of course mute emergency sirens.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
So I went after it with a $500 vengeance.

Recommended.

SO you paid $500 materials and install?

I've always wanted to do this on my infiniti but didnt know cost.

So where was it installed? all 4 doors, under the rear bench seat. Anything under the floor/carpet or trunk deck. under the hood, ceiling?

Another interesting option for "stick on" sound deadening is called:

"Peel & Seal, Aluminum" It's made by CPI, (cofair products inc) in Skokie, IL. I purchased small rolls at Lowes, in the building materials section. It's cheap, effective and easy to work with. It also sticks like crazy.

I won't claim it's the best. But it works wonderfully. It's heavy, just like dynamat, and has a thin aluminum facing on one side that looks really nice.

Just goes to prove owners want feature rich and (slightly) heavier cars.

My wife absolutely loved the STI Limited in terms of driving dynamics. However it was essentially a tin can on wheels lacking sound deadening. We ended up with a grown up WRX instead the Legacy GT(turbo) instead and have no regrets. It has sound insulation and much higher quality/feel/look interior than the WRX's did at time. Eg no kennel carpeting or cardboard headliner etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back