Ramp Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried the Race Ramps today. They work really nice. Eased right up them and they don't move. I used them to change my fog light bulbs as access is only from underneath.

They mean what they say about cleaning any loose rocks off the concrete. When I first laid them down I had not swept yet - wow like ball bearings! A quick sweep solved that issue.

Well five months in with the Race Ramps and they are GREAT.

Yes they are expensive, or rather the price tag seems high, but the low mass, the storability and the ease of use - the price tag is long forgotten. Well OK I left them outside behind the shop once and worried all day they would be stolen. Nope still there
grin2.gif
(we live in a relatively low crime area).

So yesterday I go into Car Quest and they have a set of Magnum 16000 ramps in a damaged box. $27.49. Score - the ramps (made in USA) are perfectly fine and are two piece affairs. I just will use the back part for the rear wheels when I jack the car up to have the car safe on all fours (very nice!). They are small and steep, I don't know if I could drive up them with WRX - but they have a nice no slip front lip.

Also I bought the HF 1.5T Al jack. It's light and it works, but will not jack the car high enough to get the Magnum ramps under the wheels. Poop. Will just use for quick tire changes.

Anyway - get the Race Ramps if you have a low car and want serious ramps. Yes now I can say it: Rhino Ramps SUCK.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Well five months in with the Race Ramps and they are GREAT.

Yes they are expensive, or rather the price tag seems high, but the low mass, the storability and the ease of use - the price tag is long forgotten. Well OK I left them outside behind the shop once and worried all day they would be stolen. Nope still there
grin2.gif
(we live in a relatively low crime area).

So yesterday I go into Car Quest and they have a set of Magnum 16000 ramps in a damaged box. $27.49. Score - the ramps (made in USA) are perfectly fine and are two piece affairs. I just will use the back part for the rear wheels when I jack the car up to have the car safe on all fours (very nice!). They are small and steep, I don't know if I could drive up them with WRX - but they have a nice no slip front lip.

Also I bought the HF 1.5T Al jack. It's light and it works, but will not jack the car high enough to get the Magnum ramps under the wheels. Poop. Will just use for quick tire changes.

Anyway - get the Race Ramps if you have a low car and want serious ramps. Yes now I can say it: Rhino Ramps SUCK.

Nice score!!!!! Have you driven up all four ramps at once? I do it with the Jeep, pop it in 4L and she crawls up effortlessly. It makes some jobs very easy. I have Rhino ramps I just wish they were about another inch higher.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Nice score!!!!! Have you driven up all four ramps at once? I do it with the Jeep, pop it in 4L and she crawls up effortlessly. It makes some jobs very easy. I have Rhino ramps I just wish they were about another inch higher.

Impossible. Car is too low and ramps are different.

i dont like ramps. i lost my father in law under one. so i have a n idea to recommend ALL WAYS use chock blocks in front and behind at least one tire on the ground. ALL WAYS!!!!

Originally Posted By: morris
i dont like ramps. i lost my father in law under one. so i have a n idea to recommend ALL WAYS use chock blocks in front and behind at least one tire on the ground. ALL WAYS!!!!

My God man. That is terrible. Did the ramp actually fail? What kind?

Maybe false security but I always feel safer with the car sitting on the top of four ramps vs. four jackstands.

^^^^ Hope I'm not out of place responding, I just recall the explanation from when I was searching ramps before. The ramps didn't fail but the car rolled off the ramps after something was disconnected and the tires were not chocked.

I have both the Ultra ramps with the extenders and a set of the smaller Rhino ramps. The ultras put the car 2 or 3 inches higher; but the Rhinos on my sloped driveway put the cars level. Perfect for changing/ level checking ATF, diffy fluid, etc.

Got these today for $33 and change out the door of HF. I thought, cool - made of steel, safer than jack stands, etc. But already I think I made a mistake...or I'm just an inept ramp user.

I got home and was so anxious to try them out even though my wife wasn't home to spot me. (i.e. yell out "Stop"). So of course I drove the Taurus up and over the ends of them. Needed to get my jack out and jack up each side to get them out. Would have been nice to have a little block on the end to stop the tires.

Also found out that they won't fit the Fit, pun intended. The Fit's front skirt is too low and the ramps are too steep to fit underneath. Not sure if I'm going to jerry-rig some 2 x 6 pre-ramp that's flatter or what. Maybe I'll just give them away on CL.

Thanks for letting me ramp...I mean, rant.

image_21188.jpg

Originally Posted By: Rand
just return them and get rhino ramps

Running over the end damaged the ramps so I don't think I can return them. Even if I could get away with it, I wouldn't feel right about it.

I'll check out the Rhino Ramps and chalk this up to experience maybe.

the problem with the harbor freight ramps, is the angle. The rate of rise is too great and some cars will hit the front bumper before the tire climbs. Okay for pickups though.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Everybody wants borrow my Race Ramps. My Porsche buddy decided to buy his own now. Worth every penny, IMHO.

Mind if I swing by next weekend? I'll only need them for a few hours.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back