1963 Chrysler Newport 361 v8 AXT 10w-40 1yr/1k m

Status
Not open for further replies.
1963 Chrysler Newport 361 V8- 113,287 miles on car
1 year/ 1k miles on OCI
Fill- AXT 10w-40 (used as cleanout from many long years of sitting)
Top-off- none

You didn't mention using any leaded fuel in this engine, but we're hoping that's the source for
all this lead. Otherwise, you've got a pretty serious bearing issue, but if this lead was all from bearings, you probably would've noticed a problem. Iron, from steel wear, is also high -- that might be due to the low usage prior to you purchasing the vehicle. Universal averages for this type of engine are based on ~3,500 miles of oil use. The slightly low viscosity isn't an issue. You might consider changing the oil sooner (maybe 3-4 months?) to see if iron and lead improve.

Aluminum- 9
Chromium- 0
Iron- 149
Copper- 18
Lead- 666
Tin- 4
Molybdenum- 35
Nickel- 0
Manganese- 3
Silver- 0
Titanium- 0
Potassium- 0
Boron- 112
Silicon- 9
Sodium- 6
Calcium- 1665
Magnesium- 89
Phosphorus- 733
Zinc- 817
Barium- 7

SUS visc@ 210F- 64.5
CST visc@ 100C- 11.46
Flashpoint in F- 405
Fuel%- Antifreeze%- 0
Water%- 0
Insolubles%- 0.4

This vehicle definitely saw some leaded fuel over time and sat for many years with little use and even less maintenance. I've had it one year now and use it about once per week.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Whatever "AXT 10W-40" is it's pure garbage.

Was the same as Super Tech, just different bottle. This was leftovers from my old Granada and I had decent runs in that.
The point of this UOA was to show what happens when an engine sits about a decade with old oil in it. It still had a Tech2000 filter on it. Last owner drove it twice a year and did no maintenance at all after his father died. I don't fault the oil at all in this case. Take it as what it is.
smile.gif

I'm actually going to run this car for work all summer to clean it out more.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
im guessing rusty bores.

You'd be correct. Next up is a '93 Lincoln I resurrected today that sat since 2012.

1963? Unleaded didn't start until 1972. That engine had at least 9 years of leaded fuel. There will be gray sludge everywhere in that engine. On top of the cylinder heads, in the lifter gallery, at least a quarter inch in the pan.

I had a 69, 383 2 bbl. A real land yacht.

Wayne

Nice car; my brother had one of a little later vintage. You'll probably need some hardened valve guides or new heads after awhile, but you knew that.

Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler
I'm actually going to run this car for work all summer to clean it out more.

What needs cleaning out is the oil that's in there.........sheesh...........

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
1963? Unleaded didn't start until 1972. That engine had at least 9 years of leaded fuel. There will be gray sludge everywhere in that engine. On top of the cylinder heads, in the lifter gallery, at least a quarter inch in the pan.

I had a 69, 383 2 bbl. A real land yacht.

Wayne

It might have started in '72, but it was readily available into the late 80's. I bought a new '86 GMC 2500 that was designed to run on leaded regular. Leaded was used as a price leader in those days as so few cars could use it. When I had to switch to unleaded, I encountered a dieseling problem with some fuels.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Nice car; my brother had one of a little later vintage. You'll probably need some hardened valve guides or new heads after awhile, but you knew that.

Actually not, Chrysler heads of that era are made of a higher nickel content iron than Ford or GM. I have driven these cars since '62 and never had to do a valve job due to unleaded fuel. If you want to tow your Airstream, or compete with Jimmy Johnson, you might have a problem, but regular driving is not an issue.

Originally Posted By: Russ300H

Actually not, Chrysler heads of that era are made of a higher nickel content iron than Ford or GM. I have driven these cars since '62 and never had to do a valve job due to unleaded fuel. If you want to tow your Airstream, or compete with Jimmy Johnson, you might have a problem, but regular driving is not an issue.

I had a 318 of that era that I drove all through my college years. Was told the same thing about the heads and never had a problem - and that was running Nebraska corn gas.

That's a lot of metal.I'd be using some PYB or anything else.Sad to say I don't like the 63/64 ballooned bodystyle.But hey,its a Chrysler,so its cool.If it was a 65/66 it would be even cooler.

Lead and iron numbers will no doubt decline over a number of OCIs.
We know where both are coming from, so they really aren't a concern.
Other than those two metals, this UOA looks pretty good.

my guess is the rusty bores got cleaned off when he started driving it. the rust got into the bearings and thats where most of the lead came from. id put a 15w40 in it and see how it does next time

Originally Posted By: Chris142
my guess is the rusty bores got cleaned off when he started driving it. the rust got into the bearings and thats where most of the lead came from. id put a 15w40 in it and see how it does next time

Interesting take on this.
My thought was that the iron was mainly rust being cleaned off the bores while the lead was coming from internal deposits from years of leaded fuel use.
The reason that I don't think it's bearing wear is that while lead may be at a record level for any UOA we've seen here, tin and copper remain at reasonable levels.

I drove this just over 100 miles to bring it home that day and changed oil the next day. It was a grey/black pulsating mixture. That fill was run for about 1k. Current fill is Rotella 15w-40 and complete tuneup was done at this time. Plugs had large concretions and rust on them and wires fell out of the cap when turned over. Highway MPG was about 12 in that condition. It starts right up, runs great, no knocks or rattles, and maintains good OP. Thrust wear as measured from crank pulley is still very good as is the compression. lots of life left in this engine.
smile.gif
Just took it 300+ miles last night to Jersey when picking up the Lincoln in my sig.
Not many UOA's exist on such vehicles and we'll just have to wait and see...

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Originally Posted By: Russ300H

I had a 318 of that era that I drove all through my college years. Was told the same thing about the heads and never had a problem - and that was running Nebraska corn gas.

Ha ha ha, makes sense...my brother is the type to compete with Jimmy, after putting in a cam, intake, new 4bbl and headers, for a start.

I would think the lead will come down precipitously in the next UOA....hopefully iron too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back